Alex v other SS's

musk

For anyone who wants a reason why not to have Furcal, see the 03 NLDS.

869959[/snapback]

Wow... pretty tough to judge someone on just one playoff series. I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted Bonds in his prime (pre-steroids), based on the 91 & 92 playoffs, right?

869959[/snapback]

Wow... pretty tough to judge someone on just one playoff series. I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted Bonds in his prime (pre-steroids), based on the 91 & 92 playoffs, right?

869985[/snapback]

id say playoff experience is a great way to judge someones talent. you dont want one of your better position players choking during the most important time of the season. where is else someone put on a stage to display his talent more then in the post season? im assuming thats what the mets based on there decision to sign beltran, that huge post season he had last year (and yes obviously he is a much better talent then Furcal).

869959[/snapback]

just judging on the 2003 playoffs? this guy has been to the playoffs every year of his career and you are picking one year and one series? wow. I am just amazed of how REDICULOUS that sounds. :lol

id say playoff experience is a great way to judge someones talent. you dont want one of your better position players choking during the most important time of the season. where is else someone put on a stage to display his talent more then in the post season? im assuming thats what the mets based on there decision to sign beltran, that huge post season he had last year (and yes obviously he is a much better talent then Furcal).

869987[/snapback]

wow, way to negate 162 games and 6 months worth of game play.

869959[/snapback]

869985[/snapback]

The point I was trying to make Hojo, was that Furcal's 03 NLDS is a microcosm of what hes done his entire career.

869959[/snapback]

just judging on the 2003 playoffs? this guy has been to the playoffs every year of his career and you are picking one year and one series? wow. I am just amazed of how REDICULOUS that sounds. :lol

869987[/snapback]

wow, way to negate 162 games and 6 months worth of game play.

869999[/snapback]

dude who said negate? i was simply saying its a GOOD way to judge talent since the most pressure is on in those games. its obviously not the ONLY way. please reread that.

:banghead

damn, i need to learn how to formulate better sentences. I ment Furcal is having an off year at the plate (.251 where he's hit around .290 the past 2 seasons) and you can expect around 20 errors from furcal a year

869947[/snapback]

errors arent necessarily the best way to determine a player's defensive worth

and here the shortstops Id rather have over Rafael Furcal(in no order)

Alex Gonzalez, Derek Jeter, Edger Renteria, Miguel Tejada, Michael Young, Jose Reyes, Bobby Crosby, Carlos Guillen, Jhonny Peralta and Jimmy Rollins

I would rather have a platoon of Andido and Wilson over Furcal...I'd actually rather have that platoon over Renteria as well(living in the St. Louis area, Renteria was shoved down our throats, the most basic play was "OH MY NO OTHER SS COULD DO THAT!" on WB11 or Fox Sporsnet. It was horrible. They do it with Rolen too.

I would rather have a platoon of Andido and Wilson over Furcal...I'd actually rather have that platoon over Renteria as well(living in the St. Louis area, Renteria was shoved down our throats, the most basic play was "OH MY NO OTHER SS COULD DO THAT!" on WB11 or Fox Sporsnet. It was horrible. They do it with Rolen too.

870158[/snapback]

Eh...I don't know about that. Haven't seen either Andino or Wilson play, but Edgar is a good player. His defense has been a little sketchy in Boston but still...you'd rather have a platoon of two minor leaguers?

i love alex gonzalez, i mean he has argueably the most important homerun in marlins history, and his defense is spectacular, but if i had to choose other shortstops...i still am a big edgar fan, hes my fav sock...and then as much as i hate the stankees, jeter has to be up there, and michael young is almost single handily carrying my ex roommates fantasy team, and guillen in detroit is having a great year...i dont know...those are they guys that i would want...but here is the thing, living in mass and seeing nomar play everyday for so long, i think the guy is overrated, swings at almost every first pitch and if pitchers followed the scouting report better on him, it would have been alot easier to get him out, plus he made sooooo many throwing errors...as for rollins and furcal...who i basically see as the same shortstop, good speed, good range, good arms, average average, decent power, but they just arent clutch in my opinion...i mean im never one to say that a ring makes you a better player, but edgar and sea bass have rings...they are clutch and clutch is everything in life...and if i live for this, then those guys just arent clutch...i think reyes has alot of upside, but his potential has to meet reality someday soon or he will be playing elsewhere within a year or 2...as for right now though...tejada is making the a's wish they kept him and sent chavez packing...well thats my 2 cents...what do you all think

I would rather have a platoon of Andido and Wilson over Furcal...I'd actually rather have that platoon over Renteria as well(living in the St. Louis area, Renteria was shoved down our throats, the most basic play was "OH MY NO OTHER SS COULD DO THAT!" on WB11 or Fox Sporsnet.? It was horrible.? They do it with Rolen too.

870158[/snapback]

Eh...I don't know about that. Haven't seen either Andino or Wilson play, but Edgar is a good player. His defense has been a little sketchy in Boston but still...you'd rather have a platoon of two minor leaguers?

870168[/snapback]

Maybe its just the way that the St. Louis announcers made it seem like Renteria could make plays no other SS could make, but I have always found him to be kind of average defensively, not bad, and alot of people share my belief...a guy statistically found out Renteria did not deserve either gold glove he recieved, and in fact in 2003 was one of the worst defensive SS in the league. Just saying.

ps...everyone talks about andino including the marlins scout that was at my cousin's game...does anyone have a scouting report on him? does anyone that posts think he will be any good?

870183[/snapback]

9. ROBERT ANDINO, ss Age: 20 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-0 Wt: 170

Drafted: HS--Miami, 2002 (2nd round) Signed by: John Martin

Background: After signing for $750,000, Andino hit just .188 in his full-season debut. He got off to another slow start in 2004, batting .141 through early May before he suddenly began producing at the plate. He hit .313 the rest of the way.

Strengths: Andino has tremendous range, a plus arm and a little flair at shortstop. His defense is easily his biggest asset and will get him to the big leagues. He does have plus bat speed, and he shored up some of the holes in his swing. He learned to stay back on offspeed pitches and trusted his hands more. He's figuring out how to put his good speed to use on the bases.

Weaknesses: Andino will have to prove his offensive resurgence was no fluke. He needs to get stronger after fading at the end of 2004. He takes plays off occasionally and sometimes flips throws to first base.

The Future: While Josh Wilson has a head start in the race to eventually replace Alex Gonzalez, Andino could catch and pass Wilson by the time the change is made. Gonzalez's contract expires after 2005, which could bring opportunity sooner than expected for Andino. He figures to begin the season back in high Class A.

2004 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB

Greensboro (Lo A) .281 .321 .403 295 27 83 10 1 8 46 18 83 9

Jupiter (Hi A) .281 .304 .337 196 18 55 7 2 0 15 7 43 6

ps...everyone talks about andino including the marlins scout that was at my cousin's game...does anyone have a scouting report on him? does anyone that posts think he will be any good?

870183[/snapback]

9.? ROBERT ANDINO, ss? ? ? Age: 20 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-0 Wt: 170

Drafted: HS--Miami, 2002 (2nd round)? ? Signed by: John Martin?

Background: After signing for $750,000, Andino hit just .188 in his full-season debut. He got off to another slow start in 2004, batting .141 through early May before he suddenly began producing at the plate. He hit .313 the rest of the way.

Strengths: Andino has tremendous range, a plus arm and a little flair at shortstop. His defense is easily his biggest asset and will get him to the big leagues. He does have plus bat speed, and he shored up some of the holes in his swing. He learned to stay back on offspeed pitches and trusted his hands more. He's figuring out how to put his good speed to use on the bases.

Weaknesses: Andino will have to prove his offensive resurgence was no fluke. He needs to get stronger after fading at the end of 2004. He takes plays off occasionally and sometimes flips throws to first base.

The Future: While Josh Wilson has a head start in the race to eventually replace Alex Gonzalez, Andino could catch and pass Wilson by the time the change is made. Gonzalez's contract expires after 2005, which could bring opportunity sooner than expected for Andino. He figures to begin the season back in high Class A.

2004 Club (Class)? AVG? OBP? SLG? AB? R? H? 2B? 3B? HR? RBI? BB? SO? SB

Greensboro (Lo A)? .281? .321? .403? 295? 27? 83? 10? 1? 8? 46? 18? 83? 9

Jupiter (Hi A)? .281? .304? .337? 196? 18? 55? 7? 2? 0? 15? 7? 43? 6

870334[/snapback]

That post right there answers the question asked to me, if I would rather have a platoon of young SS over Furcal and Renteria is: YES! I'd still rather have Gonzo back though.