Why on earth do you want to keep AJ and Mike?

Iowa

Why are so many of you not wanting this trade with Baltimore to happen?

You guys want to keep a .500 pitcher who won't be with us next year?

You guys want to keep the contract of a 3B who has hit a grand total of 7 homeruns over the last seasons worth of games? The contract which will greatly limit what we can do over the next few years? Why?

Wake up. We're a .500 team with a .500 pitcher and a .230 hitter. Trading them will open up the door for roster flexibility and other moves... because this team is in need of a change.

Still trade Burnett, but for a better package, by himself. Last week, we were talking about a .220 hitter. Now we're talking about a .230 hitter. Has anyone noticed his average has gone up 14 points since July 4th? He's hitting better, stick with him, too much upside if he does snap out of it. That's my take.

And that .500 pitcher has a 1.27 WHIP, .241 BAA and a 3.68 ERA, with prob the nastiest stuff in the league.

Guest Fritz

Keep AJ, offer him arby, let him walk, take a few draft picks.

Keep Lowell, let him work out of this slump. We aren't going anywhere anyway. Might as well let him try to regain whatever it was that he's lost.

Still trade Burnett, but for a better package, by himself. Last week, we were talking about a .220 hitter. Now we're talking about a .230 hitter. Has anyone noticed his average has gone up 14 points since July 4th? He's hitting better, stick with him, too much upside if he does snap out of it. That's my take.

And that .500 pitcher has a 1.27 WHIP, .241 BAA and a 3.68 ERA, with prob the nastiest stuff in the league.

871700[/snapback]

He still isn't hitting for any power. Like someone said before, Lowell right now is a slow, slap hitting, defensive third baseman. We need more power and getting rid of his contract will either help us get more power at the deadline or in the offseason.

That 1.27 WHIP, .241 BAA, 3.68 ERA and nastiest stuff in the league has lead to 6 wins this year. We're not getting him back next year. I can live with not having him around the rest of this year if it means we can get rid of Lowell's contract.

871700[/snapback]

He still isn't hitting for any power. Like someone said before, Lowell right now is a slow, slap hitting, defensive third baseman. We need more power and getting rid of his contract will either help us get more power at the deadline or in the offseason.

That 1.27 WHIP, .241 BAA, 3.68 ERA and nastiest stuff in the league has lead to 6 wins this year. We're not getting him back next year. I can live with not having him around the rest of this year if it means we can get rid of Lowell's contract.

871705[/snapback]

Lowell is in a slump. For the past year he has been absolute garbage, nobody contends that. That said, for the past few weeks Lowell has been swinging much better. Nobody is gonna take Lowell's contract in full anyway, so why pay part of his contract and not even reap the rewards if/when he breaks out?

As for AJ, the stats say that he's doing his job. If he doesn't have the wins, that says more about the O than it does his ability.

871705[/snapback]

6 wins. Yeah, but he's given up 3ER or less in 15 of 19 starts. Wins are a dumb stat in that sense. He "lost" the game, but if his offense would have given him 3-4 runs, he could have had at least 14 "wins".... I do say trade him though. Trade him for a great package that makes this year's team better. Lately we've been hitting well enough to win, just haven't pitched well; kind of the opposite of earlier this year... But stick with Lowell. That's just my opinion.

Flashback.. I remember amonth or so ago when Mike had a nice little streak, everyone thought he's back. He's still not a power hitter. We need power. 21 mil for a non power hitting 3B is not worth it, no matter how high his average gets.

Who's to say we don't go out and get another starter? ...all this hub-bub for a 6 inning pitcher.

Flashback.. I remember amonth or so ago when Mike had a nice little streak, everyone thought he's back. He's still not a power hitter. We need power. 21 mil for a non power hitting 3B is not worth it, no matter how high his average gets.

Who's to say we don't go out and get another starter? ...all this hub-bub for a 6 inning pitcher.

871716[/snapback]

You have a point... but I think his pride has been hit a little with all this "done" talk and he's more focused, with something to prove, you know? None of us can tell the future though, but if he does become the Lowell of old, watch out! 21 mill over 2.5 more years isn't too bad if he does.

It really doesnt matter much regarding this year. We are 'this' close to being done.

I llike the idea of just telling Burnett to go sign elsewhere this offseason, take the picks and be done with it.

I dont like the idea of trading for the sake of trading. The package the Orioles offered did nothing. The only packages that do anything for me are the Blue Jay package and the White Sox package depending on what prospect they want to include.

If AJ was as good as he wants to believe, he would have at least 12 wins.

The package with the Orioles did nothing? What about getting rid of Lowell's contract? That's alot of money saved for doing nothing.

871751[/snapback]

So what about the money. I hate deals that are done strictly for the money, they are stupid and I know Lowell is slumping badly, but all he needs is for someone to sit him down and really break down his swing and get that fixed, there are some simple mechanical flaws in his swing that when corrected he will begin returning to form. Look it was pointed out the other day on some show that Lowell has never hit under .260 for a season. Any idiot can figure out that there has to be something wrong with him for that average to drop as dramatically as it has. Fix the flaw and you fix the problem.

The package with the Orioles did nothing? What about getting rid of Lowell's contract? That's alot of money saved for doing nothing.

871751[/snapback]

So what about the money. I hate deals that are done strictly for the money, they are stupid and I know Lowell is slumping badly, but all he needs is for someone to sit him down and really break down his swing and get that fixed, there are some simple mechanical flaws in his swing that when corrected he will begin returning to form. Look it was pointed out the other day on some show that Lowell has never hit under .260 for a season. Any idiot can figure out that there has to be something wrong with him for that average to drop as dramatically as it has. Fix the flaw and you fix the problem.

871754[/snapback]

lol... You make it sound like someone can just snap their fingers and he'll go back to normal. If it was that easy, it wouldn't have carried over from last year.. and it sure as hell wouldn't have lasted the first 4 months of the season.

Strictly for money? I guess you could say that but it's definitely in the best interest of the team if they want to add something now or later.

871751[/snapback]

871754[/snapback]

lol... You make it sound like someone can just snap their fingers and he'll go back to normal. If it was that easy, it wouldn't have carried over from last year.. and it sure as hell wouldn't have lasted the first 4 months of the season.

Strictly for money? I guess you could say that but it's definitely in the best interest of the team if they want to add something now or later.

871760[/snapback]

well obviously nobody has ever really corrected the flaw. blame whomever you want for that, but some decent hitter figured it out in 2 minutes.

871751[/snapback]

You miss the point dude...we were going to have to pay, potentially, a very large portion of Lowell's contract anyway, and the players included in the deal did not help the team in any way. We would be better off letting Willingham get the starts in left in a platoon than Bigbie(and it would make people on this board much happier), Penn isn't ready when we need a starter now, Julio has unfulfilled potential(kind of like a bullpen AJ), and Kline has been horrible this year. The deal sucked for us big time. And for everyone who after every loss says "we are this close to being done" and after every win "We are buyers and going all the way"...SHUT THE HECK UP!! YOU FLIP FLOP MORE THAN JAY MARIOTTI! Even after the loss yesterday, with the Braves, Mets, and Nats all losing we really lost no ground, just stayed at a stalemate. We are the same in the loss column as the other teams in the division, but that will be evened out by(if I am not mistaken) the make up Colorado series. We just need to complie a decent amount of wins in between now and then. The Wild Card, and possibly the division, are not out of reach, we still have the most talented team in the division, just have to put pitching + offense together at the same time. Get Alfonseca back, that will be a big help, and damn it HAVE SOME FAITH!

Please don't tell me to have faith. I have plenty of it. I don't need to argue my loyalty because its always been there.

And from reports, the Marlins weren't about to pay a large portion of the deal.. if they were going to pay a large portion of it, it probably would have went through by now.

Dude

Please don't tell me to have faith. I have plenty of it. I don't need to argue my loyalty because its always been there.

And from reports, the Marlins weren't about to pay a large portion of the deal.. if they were going to pay a large portion of it, it probably would have went through by now.

Dude

871774[/snapback]

Ok you just contradicted yourself, you say the trade would help us by freeing up money, but you said if "we would pay a large portion the deal would of went through by now". You cant have it both ways, and the deal with Baltimore wont happen unless we pay a significant portion of Lowells salary, and its a good thing we are not because we are only getting crap back anyway. It's like Angelos lights a flaming bag of dog crap on the steps of Joe Robbie Stadium and runs and hides behind the Dan Marino statue laughing when Beinfest stomps it out with his foot.

While I agree that trading AJ is mandatory, trading a high-priced player for the purpose of cutting payroll is only justifiable if the player is actually playing somewhere near the level of his contract. If that isn't the case, then you'll really just be paying someone else to take a risk that you didn't want to take.

Now, it goes without saying that we'll have to swallow some of Mike Lowell's contract (either directly or indirectly by picking up some other schlub's bloated contract) if we trade him.

If we're going to pay someone to take him off of our hands, why would we choose to do it now, when his value is at its all-time lowest? Our team has to get noticeably better this season in order to justify selling low.