UM and UF to renew rivalry

JetsMania

UM is really a stationary program right now, whereas UF seems to be going in the right direction.

Watch what you ask for 'Canes fans...

885036[/snapback]

Stationary?

They recruit with the best of them. Could you explain stationary. Does anyone REALLY know how a recruiting class will turn out until atleast 3 years later?

885040[/snapback]

They are an elite program, but seem to have flattened out a bit after the late Butch Davis/very early Admin Coker years.

And Miami will always recruit great, they play in freaking Miami.

Too bad people dont root for the school they actually attend.

I've rooted for U.M. since I was 7-8...who knows. Long time. I'll root for FIU as well now that I go there. Actually, someone told me FIU is scheduled to play both UF and UM sometime betwee 2009-2012, dont remember the years. That'd be interesting to see, but don't expect any miracles from FIU football anytime soon.

You can't predict what school you are going to go to when you are that young, and it would make no sense to just change your favorite team just because you decided not to go to that school for whatever reason. (who chooses what university to attend just based on their football preference?)

I personally do not have anything against UM. But the differences in the two progrmas is the the recruitment I believe that the UF program is at a small disadvantage because of the high academic standards. UF is at disadvantage because the better athletes are not (a lot of the times IMO) the best achedemically.

So Uf recruits more student athletes then other institutions who care more about winning then acedemics.

The academic standards at the U of Miami is actually higher then UF. I got into both and the requirements as a student to get into UF were easier.

That being said, if an athlete was great then either school would find "loop holes" for them.

Also FSU is the worst for it. Good old bobby, give us your addicts and we will turn them around :) ( I do like bowden he has a good heart)

Guest Fritz

The academic standards at the U of Miami is actually higher then UF. I got into both and the requirements as a student to get into UF were easier.

That being said, if an athlete was great then either school would find "loop holes" for them.

Also FSU is the worst for it. Good old bobby, give us your addicts and we will turn them around :) ( I do like bowden he has a good heart)

885346[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me.

UM is the school that paid their players all the way to FOUR Naitonal Championships and got 4 years of probation for it (IMO, they should've gotten the Death Penalty).

I'm glad the Gators are getting back in this. Now we will have a true "State Champ".

885039[/snapback]

Too bad its only 2 games and they are 5 years apart.

885042[/snapback]

As if Miami hasn't been the true state champ the last three years?

885069[/snapback]

when you're already at the top, being stationary is good. :thumbup

Let's all agree that a school's general academic standards typically have nothing to do with their willingness to admit a top high school athlete who may be barely literate. There are very few schools that really strictly apply their standards when it comes to athletes. Always find some wiggle room to get that running back in school even though he got a 400 on his SAT's... :confused

I got into to UM B4P, I justs didint think it was worth 24k in loans after 4 years, nor can I afford it. So stop being a jerkoff, im sorry my famiy isint as rich as yours.

And hell no, UM's standards are not as high as UF. UF is a tier 1 school for Gods sake.

I go to FIU, therefore I root for them and them only. Ive just never seen the point of rooting for another school. The reason I say this is because FIUs fanbase is still growing, so all these FIU sudents who root for the Canes really hurt our attendance/support in the area.

Note: this doesnt apply to hs'ers, up-staters, or fans of 'big' schools(Michigan, OSU,USC,etc) Just that you have no idea what its like walking around your freakin school and seeing people wear colors of other teams, it sucks.

I got into to UM B4P, I justs didint think it was worth 24k in loans after 4 years, nor can I afford it. So stop being a jerkoff, im sorry my famiy isint as rich as yours.

885392[/snapback]

My family went their when the school sucked. Too bad my cousins go to UF, FSU, FIU. So why don't you stop being a jerkoff. You're the one who called out people like me who root for the team even though I don't go there.

Too bad people dont root for the school they actually attend.

I've rooted for U.M. since I was 7-8...who knows. Long time. I'll root for FIU as well now that I go there. Actually, someone told me FIU is scheduled to play both UF and UM sometime betwee 2009-2012, dont remember the years. 885271[/snapback]

FIU is scheduled to play @ UF in 2009. As of yet, we are not playing the Canes.

Guest Juanky

I go to FIU and have adopted the Golden Panthers as a favorite team, but I'm not going to drop an allegiance I've had since I was 5 just because I couldn't pay 25 Gs a year in tuition. I root for the football, baseball, and basketball teams - not the academic curriculum. Saying you can't root for a school when you don't go there at the university level when you've been rootign for them all your lives is like telling a life long Cub fan they have to adopt the Rockies just because they showed up all of a sudden. It doesn't work that way.

And hell no, UM's standards are not as high as UF. UF is a tier 1 school for Gods sake.

I go to FIU, therefore I root for them and them only. Ive just never seen the point of rooting for another school. The reason I say this is because FIUs fanbase is still growing, so all these FIU sudents who root for the Canes really hurt our attendance/support in the area.

Note: this doesnt apply to hs'ers, up-staters, or fans of 'big' schools(Michigan, OSU,USC,etc) Just that you have no idea what its like walking around your freakin school and seeing people wear colors of other teams, it sucks.

885392[/snapback]

Hold on my family hasnt paid for anything for myself in ages. I work 40 hours a week plus loans and scholarships to go to school. I have never had a free ride in my life. My family isnt close to rich. I work for what I own. I have worked since 14 years old legally and before then also.

So please do not blast me for working my asre off to go to a school I wished to attend. :mad

As far as the rooting thing goes, I think it's dumb to ask people to drop their allegiances. However, because you are attending a different school, it would be nice if you support it as well. Just because you have an allegiance already doesn't mean you can't root for and support both schools.

I think it's great that you guys who are going to FIU are taking an interest in the athletics, we need more like that.

885392[/snapback]

I'll chime in on this because you see a lot of Canes fans at UF.

I don't mind a person cheering for the Hurricanes at UF...many of them grew up in the area and just have a deep liking they can't get rid of. No problem.

I do find it annoying to see people cheering against the school they are attending. It defeats the whole basis as to what college athletics are based on. The athletes on the field are representing you as a student.

Just the way I see it. I don't mind people cheering for other schools though, no biggie, a lot of them just grew up with em.