Our '97 Team...

SilverBullet

thats interesting but it definitely brings me some chills...its a shame what happened but then again, if you look close enough, you see that travesty was what planted the seeds for the 2003 title...not to mention, our continued success since then...if it wasnt for what happened in 97, the magic of our 03 season wouldnt have felt the same... :notworthy

If you still shudder to think about the '97 firesale, don't forget that in the grand scheme of things it was that that helped the Marlins win it in '03. :mischief

897149[/snapback]

Not only does it show how the seeds were planted, but it also shows how lopsided some trades are (in both directions), with the most famous example being the Lowell for (laugh) Ed Yarnall deal. Leiter for Burnett is the one deal that sticks out that really helped both teams when it was made.

If you still shudder to think about the '97 firesale, don't forget that in the grand scheme of things it was that that helped the Marlins win it in '03. :mischief

897149[/snapback]

When I look at the trades, it doesn't seem that we did that great. IMHO. We traded an entire World Championship squad, and the only notables are Derek Lee and AJ?. That's why trading for prospect is overrated, IMO.

Domb. and Henry did some stupid things. I think, they get way too much credit for 03.

897149[/snapback]

When I look at the trades, it doesn't seem that we did that great. IMHO. We traded an entire World Championship squad, and the only notables are Derek Lee and AJ?. That's why trading for prospect is overrated, IMO.

Domb. and Henry did some stupid things. I think, they get way too much credit for 03.

897173[/snapback]

Obviously you have to give alot of the credit to the current ownership for bringing in JP, Cabs, Dontrelle and others to help this team win it. But wasn't it Domb who traded for Penny, A.J., Mikey and a few others?

Oh and I give absolutely no credit whatsoever to Henry. :p

897149[/snapback]

897173[/snapback]

Obviously you have to give alot of the credit to the current ownership for bringing in JP, Cabs, Dontrelle and others to help this team win it. But wasn't it Domb who traded for Penny, A.J., Mikey and a few others?

897189[/snapback]

I'm referring more to the Fire Sale of 97. Both Mike and Penny came on 99, well after the sale. I don't think the 97 team was the seed of 03, that's just my opinion.

897149[/snapback]

897173[/snapback]

897189[/snapback]

I'm referring more to the Fire Sale of 97. Both Mike and Penny came on 99, well after the sale. I don't think the 97 team was the seed of 03, that's just my opinion.

897196[/snapback]

Okay, makes sense.

The 1998 Firesale brought us the seeds of 03. The acquisition line for all of these key players can be traced to then: Lee, AJ, Pierre, Lowell, Looper

That doesn't make the Fire Sale any less awful, because we had the opportunity to win more championships. The team could have had a better lineup for less money just by putting Kotsay and Floyd in for Conine and White. Even after Sheff made an extra 4 mil and CJ an extra 2.7 the team would be saving more than 7 million in payroll just from those moves, Fernandez' insurance money, and declining the Conine and Daulton options.

Hell we could have added El Duque to the rotation for the feel good story of the year and still saved money.

The thing I remember most about the firesale of 97 was all the former Marlins on the 98 All-star team. I know Sheffield and Devo made it and I want to say Kevin Brown, Nen and Alou too. I'm probably wrong about some of those players but I watched that game thinking what could of been. Looking back those trades didn't bring in near the talent sent out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.