Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

United Nations Bankrolled Latest Anti-Israel Propa

Featured Replies

United Nations Bankrolled Latest Anti-Israel Propaganda

 

BY JACOB GERSHMAN - Staff Reporter of the Sun

August 17, 2005

 

 

The United Nations bankrolled the production of thousands of banners, bumper stickers, mugs, and T-shirts bearing the slogan "Today Gaza and Tomorrow the West Bank and Jerusalem," which have been widely distributed to Palestinian Arabs in the Gaza Strip, according to a U.N. official.

 

The U.N. support of the Palestinian Authority's propaganda operation in the midst of the Israeli evacuation of Jewish settlers from the Gaza Strip has provoked outrage from Israeli and Jewish leaders, who are blaming Turtle Bay for propagating an inflammatory message that they say encourages Palestinian Arab violence.

 

"The intifada worked. That's contextually what this message is saying," the director of U.N. affairs for the Washington-based Jewish organization B'nai Brith, Amy Goldstein, said.

 

The Arabic slogan, which refers to disputed territories of the West Bank and East Jerusalem, has become ubiquitous in Gaza, where Israeli soldiers this week are evacuating 21 settlements. It's served as the central message of a Palestinian Arab effort to spin the withdrawal as a victory.

 

A special representative of the United Nations Development Program in the Gaza Strip, Timothy Rothermel, told Fox News that his office provided financial support for the production of materials that make up the Palestinian Authority's propaganda campaign, timed to coincide with the Gaza pullout. The Palestinian Authority's withdrawal committee developed and produced the posters and other items using U.N. money, Mr. Rothermel said.

 

In addition to the slogan "Today Gaza and Tomorrow the West Bank and Jerusalem," many of the materials displayed the logo of the United Nations Development Program, which operates in 166 countries and spends about half a billion dollars a year.

 

Asked by a Fox News correspondent about one of the banners bearing the words implying an impending Palestinian Arab takeover of the disputed areas, Mr. Rothermel, said, "That particular poster was prepared by the disengagement office with financial support from the United Nations Development Program."

 

UNDP officials at the United Nations headquarters in New York City, however, denied that money from the program went directly to the propaganda campaign.

 

A UNDP spokesman, William Orme, said his office gave money to the Palestinian Withdrawal Committee to "help the Palestinian Authority communicate to the populace about the withdrawal and its economic and social impact."

 

The money was funneled to the committee through a subagency called Program of Assistance to the Palestinian People. U.N. officials were not told about the propaganda campaign or about the slogan, he said.

 

The director of international affairs for the American Jewish Congress and a Sun op-ed columnist, David Twersky, criticized the UNDP for failing to better track their funds.

 

"How come they don't know what's happening to their money?" he said. "Where's the audit? Where's the transparency? How could responsible U.N. officials living off of tax dollars have the chutzpah to say I don't know what they're spending their money on?"

 

New York-based U.N. officials learned of the slogan, Mr. Twesky said, when they received a letter of complaint on Monday from the American Jewish Congress. The letter, signed by the chairman of the American Jewish Congress, Jack Rose, said the United Nations "has no business paying the costs of this propaganda." The letter was addressed to the development program's new administrator, Kemal Dervis.

 

Mr. Orme, who said his office was investigating the details of the letter, refused to say whether the United Nations stands behind the slogan printed on the propaganda materials.

 

He said: "We are emphatically neutral ...We do not lend ourselves to political messaging in favor of any particular faction or ideology."

 

Mr. Rothermel, in the Fox News interview, argued that the slogan, which predicts an Israeli disengagement from the West Bank and, presumably, East Jerusalem, is a message that is "consistent with the relevant U.N. resolutions and Security Council resolutions about the status of Palestine."

 

A former Israeli ambassador to the United Nations, Dore Gold, said the funding of the propaganda campaign is "simply outrageous."

 

"The West Bank is disputed territory under U.N. Security Council Resolution 242. The U.N. has no business getting involved in sloganeering to call on the Palestinians to also take tomorrow the West Bank and East Jerusalem," Mr. Gold told Fox News.

 

The Palestinian Authority's top leaders have echoed the slogan in recent public comments. "The process of national struggle will continue until we reach Jerusalem and celebrate there and in the West Bank," its prime minister, Ahmed Qurei, said. according to a report in the Jerusalem Post.

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel . To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel . To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .

906500[/snapback]

Yes, we hate Democracy, we love terrorism even the liberals who's family members were killed on 9/11.

 

You show an immense amount of maturity. I trust neither the palestinians or the israel government. The Palestinians earned that by the likes of Arafat, the israeli's earned the scorn of myself when they attacked and killed american soilders.

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel . To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .

906500[/snapback]

 

You show an amazing lack of knowledge with these statements. A lot of conservatives dont support Isreal(hot rod todd). There is Pat Buchanan. A lot of liberals support Isreal(beinfestforprez). And to say liberal groups applaud terrorists and scorn democratic governments is nothing but foolishness. Just a feeble attempt to classify opinions into simple labels on your part so you can more easily attack liberals.

Yep. Most jews vote democrat anyway but they must the be self loathing jews.

 

Hell, one of the most notable liberals, Al Franken is a supporter of Israel

Its not a dislike of Israel, its a dislike of the government and there actions dealing with its own people. They use inhumane techniques to try to subdue terrorists by oppressing a ethnic group. Its similar to our treatment of the Japanese Americans during WW2 but that was only a few years not a few decades.

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel . To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .

906500[/snapback]

Yes, we hate Democracy, we love terrorism even the liberals who's family members were killed on 9/11.

 

You show an immense amount of maturity. I trust neither the palestinians or the israel government. The Palestinians earned that by the likes of Arafat, the israeli's earned the scorn of myself when they attacked and killed american soilders.

906570[/snapback]

 

First , by stating "we" you admit your liberal which is fine but I suggest you read the statement i wrote The UN and OTHER Liberal Groups" I suggest you do some research it is a fact liberals support the UN despite its corruption and anti-Israel positions , and it is a fact many radical leftist blame Israel 100% for the conflict . If you cant deal with the facts I wonder if it is you who are mature enough to have a discussion about world and national political events. And whether you care to admit it or not many elements of the extreme left seem to be more concerned with the rights of Terrorist who would do America harm than protecting their own country. If you had family killed on 9/11 I feel for you but I served in the military during conflict when I was 19 and will complete my masters at the end of this semester so dont lecture me on world or national political matters I am pretty sure i can form my own opinion

Your right I don't support Israel. But in the same respect, I have blasted Palastinians and their former leader Yasser Arafat as well. I would willfully support both groups if they would do something to bring some measure of peace to this, and so far, in the reclaiming of Gaza, Israel has seemed to only throw napalm on a forest fire, and many of you on here support it. So to me, it seems as if Palastinians are trying to do the right thing, for the most part this handover has been peaceful on their part, and the Israelites are the ones making the turnover difficult.

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel . To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .

906500[/snapback]

 

You show an amazing lack of knowledge with these statements. A lot of conservatives dont support Isreal(hot rod todd). There is Pat Buchanan. A lot of liberals support Isreal(beinfestforprez). And to say liberal groups applaud terrorists and scorn democratic governments is nothing but foolishness. Just a feeble attempt to classify opinions into simple labels on your part so you can more easily attack liberals.

906601[/snapback]

 

Actually it is you who are clueless , I have read enough of your posts to realize when it comes to politics you do not have an open mind. Your a liberal Democrat and you approach issues from that perspective. First Pat Buchanan is on the fringe elements of the conservative movement he has little to no support . Second , read what I wrote and what you and your thought police member wrote , left wing nut jobs have continually supported the UN despite its anti Israel views , as to the other statements I didnt not mention Liberals and terrorists but since you are trying to attribute these statements to me I will take the bait. Please explain to me liberals fascination with Castro , his government is undemocratic and many liberal groups think Castro is ok so i think it is foolish for you to deny that element exists in the liberal movement ....of course you are a blind ideologue so I doubt you can look at anything objectively . I think I have wasted enough time with you ...later

Your right I don't support Israel. But in the same respect, I have blasted Palastinians and their former leader Yasser Arafat as well. I would willfully support both groups if they would do something to bring some measure of peace to this, and so far, in the reclaiming of Gaza, Israel has seemed to only throw napalm on a forest fire, and many of you on here support it. So to me, it seems as if Palastinians are trying to do the right thing, for the most part this handover has been peaceful on their part, and the Israelites are the ones making the turnover difficult.

907819[/snapback]

Well now youre a bleeding heart liberal. :confused

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel-----------> one thought a statement of fact

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .-----------------> a second independent thought

906500[/snapback]

 

Funny i dont see where I labeled all liberals as supporting terrorism or undemocratic governments , I dont understand anyone in the UN or the USA who support terrorism maybe someone can point out where liberalism is specifically linked to the second statement ????

Your right I don't support Israel.? But in the same respect, I have blasted Palastinians and their former leader Yasser Arafat as well.? I would willfully support both groups if they would do something to bring some measure of peace to this, and so far, in the reclaiming of Gaza, Israel has seemed to only throw napalm on a forest fire, and many of you on here support it.? So to me, it seems as if Palastinians are trying to do the right thing, for the most part this handover has been peaceful on their part, and the Israelites are the ones making the turnover difficult.

907819[/snapback]

Well now youre a bleeding heart liberal. :confused

907821[/snapback]

 

Not really, I don't support Israel in this, in fact I favor Palastine. But more than anything, I just want stability in the region, no use of any more lost lives, and Israel is doing nothing to help the situation...all the people on here that are saying Palastine is in the wrong just refuse to see it.

Second , read what I wrote and what you and your thought police member wrote , left wing nut jobs have continually supported the UN despite its anti Israel views

 

Um, you pretty much characterized the UN as a liberal group when you stated the "UN and other liberal groups." Your implication was that liberal groups, including the UN, have attacked Israell. So go ahead and try and backpeddle now. But your original post was pretty clear. But you cant back up the argument that liberals or neoliberalism in and of itself is the enemy of Israel. If you claim that, then how do you explain people like Al Franken and BeinfestforPrez?

 

If, however, your now morphed argument is that some liberals, either in their support of the UN or their support of Palestine, are bad for Israell and democracy, then you didnt make that evident originally. The qualm with that is that it has nothing to do with being a liberal at all. It is not part of any social or political view point of liberalism in general. It is, rather, an attempt to bring all the things you percieve as negative into that one category so you can simplify those who are not you. Because as it has been stated, some liberals feel that way and some convservatives feel Isreal is at fault, to a degree(as hot rod todd just stated). So your qualm is with those who oppose Israell, and has nothing to do with liberals.

 

Please explain to me liberals fascination with Castro , his government is undemocratic and many liberal groups think Castro is ok so i think it is foolish for you to deny that element exists in the liberal movement ....of course you are a blind ideologue so I doubt you can look at anything objectively . I think I have wasted enough time with you ...later

 

I have no clue where this is coming from. :blink: It has no basis in any fact. I dont support Castro at all. I cant think of a single time anyone on this board who is a liberal or left leaning has supported Castro.

 

I have read enough of your posts to realize when it comes to politics you do not have an open mind. Your a liberal Democrat and you approach issues from that perspective.

 

And I havent had any interaction with you or attacked you until you decided to attack liberals. Once you start ripping on someone's views, be prepared to take the heat back. Why dont you go ahead and provide evidence of how people have policed your views or regulated them please.

I don't agree with the majority of the actions by either the Palestinians, or the Israelis.

906659[/snapback]

 

I must say that is the camp I am also in, they are both doing some very puzzling things.

No suprise really the United Nations and other liberal groups in the USA are extremely anti-Israel-----------> one thought a statement of fact

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To me I dont see how anyone in the United Nations or the USA could the support the tactics of the Palestians but we live in a world where terrorist are applauded and democratic governments are scorned .-----------------> a second independent thought

906500[/snapback]

 

Funny i dont see where I labeled all liberals as supporting terrorism or undemocratic governments , I dont understand anyone in the UN or the USA who support terrorism maybe someone can point out where liberalism is specifically linked to the second statement ????

907830[/snapback]

 

 

Oh come on. The seven letter word is called context.

Second , read what I wrote and what you and your thought police member wrote , left wing nut jobs have continually supported the UN despite its anti Israel views

 

Um, you pretty much characterized the UN as a liberal group when you stated the "UN and other liberal groups." Your implication was that liberal groups, including the UN, have attacked Isreal. So go ahead and try and backpeddle now. But your original post was pretty clear. But you cant back up the argument that liberals or neoliberalism in and of itself is the enemy of Isreal. If you claim that, then how do you explain people like Al Franken and BeinfestforPrez?

 

 

 

Um, yeah if the UN is paying for posters that support the destruction of Israel , and has censured Israel several times , at UN conferences in South Africa I am specifically thinking about allowed speakers to rail against Israel , I think we could objectively say they are somewhat hostile to Israel.

 

 

 

 

If, however, your now morphed argument is that some liberals, either in their support of the UN or their support of Palestine, are bad for Isreal and democracy, then you didnt make that evident originally. The qualm with that is that it has nothing to do with being a liberal at all. It is not part of any social or political view point of liberalism in general. It is, rather, an attempt to bring all the things you percieve as negative into that one category so you can simplify those who are not you. Because as it has been stated, some liberals feel that way and some convservatives feel Isreal is at fault, to a degree(as hot rod todd just stated). So your qualm is with those who oppose Isreal, and has nothing to do with liberals.

 

Sorry it was you who morphed the argument by attributing sentiments to my statement that werent clearly expressed

 

 

 

Please explain to me liberals fascination with Castro , his government is undemocratic and many liberal groups think Castro is ok so i think it is foolish for you to deny that element exists in the liberal movement ....of course you are a blind ideologue so I doubt you can look at anything objectively . I think I have wasted enough time with you ...later

 

I have no clue where this is coming from. :blink: It has no basis in any fact. I dont support Castro at all. I cant think of a single time anyone on this board who is a liberal or left leaning has supported Castro.

 

 

You must not follow congress very closely many liberal members in the house have spoke favorably about castro and several liberal special interest groups influential in the democratic party have spoken well of castro and sought to enact policy that would help him . You have no credibility if you deny that element does not exist in the liberal movement

 

 

I have read enough of your posts to realize when it comes to politics you do not have an open mind. Your a liberal Democrat and you approach issues from that perspective.?

 

And I havent had any interaction with you or attacked you until you decided to attack liberals. Once you start ripping on someone's views, be prepared to take the heat back. Why dont you go ahead and provide evidence of how people have policed your views or regulated them please.

907847[/snapback]

 

Heat ???? are you kidding me this a discussion in which you seem to be shifting the debate and twisting words , in addition there are no real consequences I will never meet you and you will never meet me so I am not sure why you are trying to act like a internet tough guy. The thought police is the immediate attack by you and your comrade that instinctively occured in you when I mention the liberal groups support of the UN . As far as interaction goes I read this forum it is evident from your posts that you dont come to debates or politics with an open mind. My vote and my views are not dictated by one group I doubt you can say the same which is why you attempted to bring "heat". It is late so I am out of here hopefully the "Internet Heat" you are bringing doesnt keep me up ....good night :D

You've got Israel, which uses some very forceful techniques to keep order. They won't hesitate to bulldoze your house if you are suspected of working with terrorists. If you're suspected of being a terrorist and traveling in a car, watch out for an Apache air strike.

 

Meanwhile, some parts of the Palestinian population, such as Hamas, are full-blown terrorist organizations. They are funded by Saudi Arabia most of the time. These kinds of groups have no desire for peace, but are tolerated by the average Palestinian citizen.

Your right I don't support Israel. But in the same respect, I have blasted Palastinians and their former leader Yasser Arafat as well. I would willfully support both groups if they would do something to bring some measure of peace to this, and so far, in the reclaiming of Gaza, Israel has seemed to only throw napalm on a forest fire, and many of you on here support it. So to me, it seems as if Palastinians are trying to do the right thing, for the most part this handover has been peaceful on their part, and the Israelites are the ones making the turnover difficult.

907819[/snapback]

Well now youre a bleeding heart liberal. :confused

907821[/snapback]

 

Not really, I don't support Israel in this, in fact I favor Palastine. But more than anything, I just want stability in the region, no use of any more lost lives, and Israel is doing nothing to help the situation...all the people on here that are saying Palastine is in the wrong just refuse to see it.

907838[/snapback]

You really have no idea what you're talking about. You're supporting a group of people who would rather use bombs and attack innocent people than come to the negotiating table. The Israelis are forcibly removing their own people with little problem, whereas if the Palestinians had to do something like that (nevermind they would never actually decide on anything since their government is a mere puppet of Hamas), you would see shootouts, bombings and anarchy.

most of you in this thread don't really have a clue what you're talking about, and I'm directing this at people on BOTH sides.

 

a few corrections:

 

+the Palestinian Authority is NOT a puppet group of Hamas. If it were, the two groups would not both be vying for prime control of Gaza.

 

+Hamas is NOT Saudi funded.

 

+Hamas IS a terrorist organization, but some Palestinians tolerate it because the organization has done a lot for education, food, and clothing for children, not because they're some warped cowards who enjoy seeing others die. If you're poor and starving and some group gives out food and water and clothing to you as a donation, you're bound to not mind the group's existence.

+the Palestinian Authority is NOT a puppet group of Hamas. If it were, the two groups would not both be vying for prime control of Gaza.

Please, the PA has no real power. If they try to do anything remotely constructive (like disarm militants), Hamas and the rest of those animals slap the PA back. That's why we still see Hamas et all doing whatever they like and are still very much armed.

 

+Hamas IS a terrorist organization, but some Palestinians tolerate it because the organization has done a lot for education, food, and clothing for children, not because they're some warped cowards who enjoy seeing others die. If you're poor and starving and some group gives out food and water and clothing to you as a donation, you're bound to not mind the group's existence.

908117[/snapback]

It doesn't matter if Hamas gives out Bentleys, when you promote killing and hate, sometimes you need to stand up and not ignore the details. Germans definetly know that lesson.

Anyways, back on topic...

 

Remember the flak Bush got for "Mission Accomplished"? And that was even BEFORE Iraq descended into quagmiredom.

 

This is 1,000 times worse, b/c it's the international community unwittingly funding hate when they thought they were funding things like buying food, clothes, shelter, etc. Of course the international community will just be like Kevin Bacon in Animal House and just say, "Thanks sir, may I have another?"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.