Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mecir May Be Done...For Good

Featured Replies

I know the article says he is going to try to come back, but with a frayed rotator cuff, who knows how effective he will be?

Mecir seeks a comeback

 

By CLARK SPENCER

 

cspencer@herald.com

 

 

One way or another, this was going to be Marlins reliever Jim Mecir's final major-league season.

 

But Mecir, who had made up his mind to retire, is hopeful he hasn't already thrown his last pitch.

 

An MRI performed on Wednesday showed that the right-handed reliever has a frayed rotator cuff, delaying his return from the disabled list and threatening what little remains of the 35-year-old pitcher's playing career.

 

''What it comes down to is if I was a normal player and I was coming back next year, they'd probably shut me down and clean up my shoulder,'' Mecir said.

 

Instead, Mecir said he'll try to pitch through the damage once he comes off the DL.

 

Mecir was placed on the DL on Aug. 7 with right shoulder tendinitis and was eligible to return to the active roster on Tuesday. But the Marlins' medical staff ordered an MRI when Mecir was unable to complete a bullpen session earlier this week.

 

''They were able to compare it to the [MRI] they took when I signed five months ago and they saw a change in the shoulder,'' he said.

 

Mecir said he's now shooting for a Sept. 1 return date but isn't certain how effective he'll be. He said he'll test the shoulder next Wednesday to see if there has been any improvement.

 

''If I can pitch effectively, then I'll pitch,'' he said. ``There's no doubt I'm coming back. It's just a question of am I going to be effective and are they going to throw me?''

 

Mecir has appeared in 46 games, second-most on the staff, going 1-3 with a 3.00 earned-run average.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/12432692.htm

Pitch through a flayed rotator cuff, playing with cleft foot, this dude is one tough SOB. This guy was one of the few I trusted out of the bullpen this season, but I dont want him to seriously ruin things by pitching with that burden. I wish him the best of luck, and I'll miss watching him run to first to cover the bag.

damn what sucks is...when I think of him...I only remember him hitting batters :closedeyes

908760[/snapback]

Too bad he has been one of the Marlins best relievers so far...

Sucks for him. He really is a tough guy. You had to see it coming though...the way he forced to throw all upperbody is not good.

He and Jones were the only ones I felt comfortable with in the 'pen. Hope he can come back, even if its just a few games.

Pitch through a flayed rotator cuff, playing with cleft foot, this dude is one tough SOB. This guy was one of the few I trusted out of the bullpen this season, but I dont want him to seriously ruin things by pitching with that burden. I wish him the best of luck, and I'll miss watching him run to first to cover the bag.

908756[/snapback]

 

He's another guy that has really been a godsend during the year and role model for not just other ballplayers but for all us.

 

Poor Jim, don't blame him for wanting to give it a try -- nobody wants to end their career on the DL. Good luck

908758[/snapback]

 

I really hope he makes it back and can contribute, albeit in a limited capacity.

 

Ths no doubt means Admin Beinfest will be trying to trade for another reliever and quickly because Messenger certainly isn't the answer and another veteran presence in the bullpen (ala a Rick Helling in 2003) is almost madatory with our schedule in September.

I'm really pulling for this guy to come back, I hope he knows that alot of us here are aware of how important he is to put out the fire and bridge the gap to TJ.

 

He is easily one of the toughest guys in sports.

He has definitely been the most consistent guy out of the bullpen behind Jones this year.

 

His screwball has been nasty all year.

 

Good luck Mecir.

Ths no doubt means Admin Beinfest will be trying to trade for another reliever and quickly because Messenger certainly isn't the answer and another veteran presence in the bullpen (ala a Rick Helling in 2003) is almost madatory with our schedule in September.

908790[/snapback]

Brad Clontz? He seems to be doing well in AAA (0.00 ERA, 4.2 IP, 6 K) although admittedly with a small sample size.

Damn that sucks. Hopefully he can make his way back.

 

Hopefully this Clontz guy can help or Rielding can get it together.

Give him a couple AAA innings and see how effective he can be.

 

One way or another, this was going to be Marlins reliever Jim Mecir's final major-league season.

 

But Mecir, who had made up his mind to retire, is hopeful he hasn't already thrown his last pitch.

 

An MRI performed on Wednesday showed that the right-handed reliever has a frayed rotator cuff, delaying his return from the disabled list and threatening what little remains of the 35-year-old pitcher's playing career.

 

''What it comes down to is if I was a normal player and I was coming back next year, they'd probably shut me down and clean up my shoulder,'' Mecir said.

 

Instead, Mecir said he'll try to pitch through the damage once he comes off the DL.

 

Mecir was placed on the DL on Aug. 7 with right shoulder tendinitis and was eligible to return to the active roster on Tuesday. But the Marlins' medical staff ordered an MRI when Mecir was unable to complete a bullpen session earlier this week.

 

''They were able to compare it to the [MRI] they took when I signed five months ago and they saw a change in the shoulder,'' he said.

 

Mecir said he's now shooting for a Sept. 1 return date but isn't certain how effective he'll be. He said he'll test the shoulder next Wednesday to see if there has been any improvement.

 

''If I can pitch effectively, then I'll pitch,'' he said. ``There's no doubt I'm coming back. It's just a question of am I going to be effective and are they going to throw me?''

 

Mecir has appeared in 46 games, second-most on the staff, going 1-3 with a 3.00 earned-run average.

 

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12432692.htm

Mecir was one of the very few pitchers Jack allowed himself to use in tight spots and while not lights out (no pitcher really can be, and certainly not a relief pitcher), he succeeded most of the time.

 

That's a big loss, but in his place we can now have a more versatile arm so not all is lost.

Mecir was one of the very few pitchers Jack allowed himself to use in tight spots and while not lights out (no pitcher really can be, and certainly not a relief pitcher), he succeeded most of the time.

 

That's a big loss, but in his place we can now have a more versatile arm so not all is lost.

909384[/snapback]

 

Who???

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.