October 16, 200520 yr Below you'll find an article on the Diamondback's attempt to re-sign Royce Clayton who frankly I'd love to see in a Marlins uni next year. With Gonzalez coming off surgery and expecting a multi-year deal in the $15-17 million range ($5.5+/- per year) I would like to see the Fish grab Clayton for a year, even if that means driving his price up to $2 million for the season. A year gives Andino another season in the minors to mature or for someone else in the minor league system to elevate their game enough to step up, or absent that for the Marlins to look for a replacement in the 2006 free agent pool. But whatever the future brings, Alex Gonzalez is unaffordable and too unpredictable to make a commitment to, especially for the three years or more he'll be looking for. This team's future is not going to be built around AGon no matter who the manager is. With Cabrera, Beckett and Willis needing to be signed longterm and for big money, it's obvious to me the franchise cannot commit the kind of money he will be seeking in the off-season, and don't fool yourself, he isn't going to re-sign here for a year, not when other teams will be willing to dangle a multi-year contract for him. So I say, adios, thanks for the memories and let's move on. D-Backs offer Clayton 1-year deal Nick Piecoro The Arizona Republic Oct. 13, 2005 12:00 AM General Partner Jeff Moorad said he met with the representative for Royce Clayton on Monday and made a contract proposal that would keep the free-agent shortstop with the Diamondbacks for one more year. "We put an offer on the table, which I told them had some movement in order to make a deal," Moorad said. "We're hopeful Royce had a positive experience with the Diamondbacks and that he'll consider coming back next season." The Diamondbacks aren't likely to budge on the length of the one-year offer, however, not with top prospect Stephen Drew's arrival imminent. Should they sign Clayton, 35, the Diamondbacks could then give the 22-year-old Drew additional time to develop. After signing a one-year deal last off-season, Clayton hit .270, including a .301 average after the All-Star break, and provided a dependable glove at shortstop. The Diamondbacks are likely willing to give Clayton a bump in salary beyond the $1.35 million he made in 2005, perhaps into the $1.5 million range.
October 16, 200520 yr For the right price, yes. Clayton can be on the team with Easley getting some starts. I'd prefer Furcal though.
October 16, 200520 yr Author For the right price, yes. Clayton can be on the team with Easley getting some starts. I'd prefer Furcal though. My thinking exactly :thumbup My objection to Furcal is based solely on $$$.
October 16, 200520 yr wow, i didnt know that clayton was so cheap. Sure, one year here would be a great move!
October 16, 200520 yr Author And to further, or foster some debate, here's a followup story from yesterday. Even signing him for two years for (speaking hypothetically) $4 million would leave the Fish in a much better position than committing 3yrs to Alex for $15 million. Clayton to seek better deal as free agent Nick Piecoro The Arizona Republic Oct. 14, 2005 12:00 AM Shortstop Royce Clayton indicated Thursday that he appears headed toward free agency, where he believes his market value will be greater than the one-year offer the Diamondbacks presented this week. Clayton, a Valley resident, would prefer the security of a multiyear deal, and he says he took a hometown discount to play this year and doesn't expect to do it again for the Diamondbacks, who are believed to have made an offer worth around $1.5 million. "Knowing that the average major league shortstop is making between $4 million and $5 million," Clayton said, "it would be a disservice to my family to entertain that offer after I put up the two types of seasons that I did." After hitting .279 for Colorado in 2004, Clayton signed a one-year, $1.35 million deal last off-season and hit .270. His family situation played a part in his signing with Arizona. His wife, Samantha, is due to deliver triplets at the end of the month, and Clayton said that once they're born, moving wouldn't be a drawback. Returning on a one-year basis could be a risk for Clayton, who knows top prospect Stephen Drew is waiting in the wings. "Obviously, if they're not in contention (late in the season), then I'm not going to be playing," Clayton said. "I'll be a free agent again with no at-bats. I've been in that situation, and it doesn't make sense for me to put myself in that situation after having two good years." Clayton, though, is willing to negotiate and ultimately would like to return. "The whole thing is, I love the organization," he said. "I love playing here. I'd love to work something out that's fair, but I'm not going to put myself in a vulnerable situation like that."
October 16, 200520 yr For the right price, yes. Clayton can be on the team with Easley getting some starts. I'd prefer Furcal though. My thinking exactly :thumbup My objection to Furcal is based solely on $$$. First, Clayton is a worse hitter than Gonzalez. Second, he is much older. Third, have you given any thought to having 3 speedy baseball runners (Furcal, Castillo, and Pierre) in a team that one of the first things it lacks is HR power as one of your other objections to bringing Furcal? Where are all these ideas coming from? All of the sudden everybody wants to get rid of Alex because they think he is going to command a lot of money. He isn't. He is going to ask for a commitment in years, but he is never going to be that pricey. And the fact that he got hurt and didn't hit for power is not going to help drive his price up. On the other hand, people think that Andino is one year away from the majors. I didn't see it that way. To begin with, I don't even think that the kid belongs to the majors at all. He looks like another Alex with even less power and control of the strike zone and more erratic in his defense. Then some people want to bring Furcal, who is overprized, to a team that lacks power. Great! We have 3 guys that can steal bases, so what? Can they steal home? Because you need guys to drive these speedy "monsters" in. Besides, Furcal will be bringing to the team some other intangibles, like his 2 DUIs convictions for example.
October 16, 200520 yr Author I have to run (baseball practice with my kid) but the idea he doesn't hit well, or that his hitting last year was not up to AGon's performance I offer the following splits (from ESPN). Take a look at his numbers with men on and men in scoring position (the Marlins downfall in 2005). http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2005
October 16, 200520 yr Royce Clayton?? No thanks, unless he comes really cheap and Alex is really, really expensive. If we don't resign Alex, I'd much rather sign Easley and let him start for a year with Andino or Wilson backing him up. I do believe that Alex has a good chance of returning after his injury to end the year and his decline in power numbers. I think this lineup can sustain having a weak hitting shortstop if they add another bat elsewhere or Lowell returns and hits like he did 2 years ago (that is a HUGE if). But if A-gon does get a big offer next year, just give me Easley and the young guys instead of Clayton.
October 16, 200520 yr I don't get the fascination with Agon. His range is excellent, but he still makes mistakes on the easy ones at times. With the bat he doesn't scare anyone too much. He's an average player that will end up being overpaid.
October 16, 200520 yr i dont like royce clayton...there is just something about him that i dont like when i see him play. we need someone electric like furcal, the FO is going to need to fork over some $$$ but it will be worth it. if clayton was on the team last year i guaruntee he would not have sparked the lineup, where furcal might have.
October 16, 200520 yr Well if we aren't going to try and resign AGonz and signing Furcal is almost certainly out of the question, I guess the most logical choice would be to try and go after Clayton. I don't think we'll see as many gold glove plays as we've seen with Gonzo here, but a little more offense out of our SS couldn't hurt either.
October 16, 200520 yr i dont think this will hurt us anymore then keeping Agon. in fact keeping Agon will prob hurt us more mostly financially.
October 16, 200520 yr Royce Clayton? Sure, if this was 1996. We're talking about 2006. I say keep AGonz.
October 16, 200520 yr I wouldnt mind Nomah for once year more then Royce, or Agon. It would give us a year for Andino to grow and would be our 1 "big time" contracter we do every year to make a splash. I think he would fit in well here for a year.
October 16, 200520 yr Nomar's the only free-agent who would actually benefit from taking a one year deal, and when healthy he provides offensive punch that is badly needed in the lineup. He's my guy. 1 year, $6 million should get it done, and before you ask where this money's coming from: we paid Leiter $4.5 million this year, and $3.5 to Gonzalez, just go ahead and give that cash to Nomar, and we still have enough left over to handle the deferred money due to Leiter next season. It gives Andino a year at AAA, and either Wilson (who I inexplicably like for some reason) or Easley can be the insurance on the bench. When you're a small market team with no offense, you have to take risks.
October 16, 200520 yr I wouldn't go by how he hit with runners on and with RISP to measure how good of a player he is since those stats tend to flucuate year by year. If you went by that, you'd have to remember that he hit .261 (.327 OBP) with runners on and .244 (.325 OBP) with RISP between 2002 and 2004.
October 16, 200520 yr i hate clayton, he suks at hitting and has average D, man i d rather give andino a chance then clayton, the both cant hit to much but atleast andino has more speed, some pop, and D
October 16, 200520 yr I say Lowell at SS :lol Let's re-sign Sea Bass, trade JP, and move Lowell to CF. :lol
October 16, 200520 yr Heck, if I was a GM I would only offer Alex to come back for LESS money than what we were currently paying him.
October 16, 200520 yr The obvious problem is Lowell and his contract. We need to get Lowell on the field, he has to play guys. With Lowell we will not be able to afford Alex,so I say we shift the infielders - Put Lowell at first, Delgado at second , Castillo at short. This is where my ideas will make you realize what an amazing baseball mind I truly have - Luis has enough range and speed that we do not need anyone to play third. I say you shift Miggy to a 4th outfielder spot and play him behind Juan Pierre to compensate for the weak arm of Pierre. We would have the best defensive centerfield in baseball. Cab's arm strength plus Juan's speed = teh awesomeness. Put Hermida and Conine in the corners and we are set. We would have the best power hitting 2B and CF in baseball. This idea sounds as good as signing a 35 year old Royce Clayton...No ?
October 16, 200520 yr The obvious problem is Lowell and his contract. We need to get Lowell on the field, he has to play guys. With Lowell we will not be able to afford Alex,so I say we shift the infielders - Put Lowell at first, Delgado at second , Castillo at short. This is where my ideas will make you realize what an amazing baseball mind I truly have - Luis has enough range and speed that we do not need anyone to play third. I say you shift Miggy to a 4th outfielder spot and play him behind Juan Pierre to compensate for the weak arm of Pierre. We would have the best defensive centerfield in baseball. Cab's arm strength plus Juan's speed = teh awesomeness. Put Hermida and Conine in the corners and we are set. We would have the best power hitting 2B and CF in baseball. This idea sounds as good as signing a 35 year old Royce Clayton...No ? why dont we just put JP at 1st and Lowell in cf
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.