Arrested Development Cancelled

FishFan24

Networks Cancel 'Arrested Development,' '7th Heaven'

LOS ANGELES (Nov. 11) - The Camdens will bid farewell to viewers in May when the WB Network's top-rated family drama "7th Heaven" ends its run after 10 seasons in what sources said was largely a cost-cutting move.

The Bluth clan of Fox's ratings-challenged "Arrested Development" is also headed for the exit after Fox cut the third-season order on the Emmy-winning comedy to 13 episodes.

Also getting the ax at Fox is "Arrested's" companion on Monday, the freshman comedy "Kitchen Confidential," whose order will not be extended beyond the initial 13 episodes.

"7th Heaven," whose debut on August 26, 1996, marked the first-ever Monday broadcast of the then-fledging WB Network, will bow out as the longest-running family drama on television.

After 10 seasons, the show is still a top draw for WB, averaging 5.1 million viewers this season to date. Creatively, the show also will go out in style, creator Brenda Hampton said.

"I think this is the best season we've ever had, and we're planning a very exciting and heartwarming conclusion to the series," she said. "On the show, we talk about choosing your feelings, and we chose to feel happy and blessed to have been on the air for so long."

There is talk about a potential "7th Heaven" spinoff, but Hampton admits that would be hard to do.

"('7th Heaven') is a family show," she said. "I think the success of the show is that the family is intact with the mom, the dad and the children, so it is a very difficult show to spin off."

Sources indicated that the reasons to take "7th Heaven" off the air were primarily financial. As series age, they get more and more expensive, with the price tag especially high for a show with a large cast like "7th Heaven." The cancellation of the long-running series also comes during a process of extensive cost-cutting across all Warner Bros. divisions.

As for the demise of "Arrested," it comes just as the acclaimed comedy came back this week after a hiatus to make room for Fox's baseball coverage. The two back-to-back episodes averaged a paltry 4 million viewers Monday, sending Fox to fifth place in the 8 p.m. hour and putting a dent on the ratings of its lead-out, the rookie drama "Prison Break."

There is a possibility that the show will be shopped around, but its high cost is expected to be prohibitive for a cable network.

Fox said Thursday that it will pull "Arrested Development" and "Kitchen Confidential" off the schedule for the remaining three Mondays of the November sweep, replacing them with a rerun of the previous episode of "Prison Break" leading into an original episode of the serialized drama.

"Arrested" and "Kitchen" are set to return to their time slots with original episodes December 5, following the fall finale of "Prison Break" on November 28.

11/11/05 07:12 ET

I don't know if anyone else watched this show, but it was definately one of the funniest shows on TV. Damn shame that its going out before its time.. :thumbdown

I hate tv. I hate it. This crap happens to EVERY good show! (I'm talking Arrested, not 7th Heaven here) From Sports Night on.

I blame the idiots who don't watch shows like this in favor of stereotypcially "good" tv like Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, that awful Charlie Sheen show. I'm so sick of the crappy tv situation comedy formula it makes me want to puke blood from out of my eye sockets.

I used to watch 7th Heaven every week from when I was probably 10 until 17-18, I practically grew up with that show. Good family values and all that good stuff, just a nice quality program. Even the article says this is their best season yet drawing 5.1 million per episode, makes no sense. Oh well, I guess crap like "Moesha" and "Sistahood" is the direction the WB wants to take :rolleyes: .

I hate tv. I hate it. This crap happens to EVERY good show! (I'm talking Arrested, not 7th Heaven here) From Sports Night on.

I blame the idiots who don't watch shows like this in favor of stereotypcially "good" tv like Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, that awful Charlie Sheen show. I'm so sick of the crappy tv situation comedy formula it makes me want to puke blood from out of my eye sockets.

I've always hated those types of shows like Friends, Raymond, etc.

They're just god awful and I never understood why people got so obsessive over them.

Are you serious? If WB was smart, they'd pick it up!

I'm not sure "Arrested" fits WB's target demographic.

That's true, it was my first reaction :D

CBS is good for life with CSI

ABC is really coming on strong with LOST, Desperate Houswives and all those new half-hour sitcoms (although George Lopez is the best, IMO...Freddie 'could' be good)

NBC seems to me to be falling out a bit. Ya, they still have ER, and shows like Will and Grace/Surface/etc...but they lack the big name show to put them over the top.

Arrested fits Fox the best, but I guess the long layover really hurt.

moving arrested to Mondays killed the show. i wish they wouldve put it at 8:30 Sundays instead of War at Home

War at Home is such an awful show.

I agree with Lefty. Every other network has dofferent demographics and it just wouldn't fit in any other network besides FOX.

CBS has some good shows. CSI(Vegas) Without a Trace are my favorites...

FOX is doing fine. Prison Break is probably the best show they have on right now. I just wish they'd extend their primetime by another hour.

ABC just needs a couple more hit shows to surpass CBS.

NBC doing horrible in the ratings... my favorite shows are Las Vegas and Medium. BTW, Fear Factor got canceled?

UPN only show I like is Everybody Hates Chris.

WB ...

moving arrested to Mondays killed the show. i wish they wouldve put it at 8:30 Sundays instead of War at Home

War at Home is such an awful show.

I agree with Lefty. Every other network has dofferent demographics and it just wouldn't fit in any other network besides FOX.

CBS has some good shows. CSI(Vegas) Without a Trace are my favorites...

FOX is doing fine. Prison Break is probably the best show they have on right now. I just wish they'd extend their primetime by another hour.

ABC just needs a couple more hit shows to surpass CBS.

NBC doing horrible in the ratings... my favorite shows are Las Vegas and Medium. BTW, Fear Factor got canceled?

UPN only show I like is Everybody Hates Chris.

WB ...

-War at Home is okay, obviously Arrested is/was better

-im surprised too that FOX doesnt go to 11pm like the other big 3

-Right now, ABC is the best network IMO. They have a stranglehold on Sundays with Desperate/Greys Anatomy, and theyre i love their Tuesday lineup (Commander in Chief and Boston Legal)

-The only night I watch NBC is Thursday (Apprentice/ER)

The Donald fired 4 two weeks ago and 2 yesterday. I've always been a big fan of The Apprentice, I don't know why they are rushing it.

ABC is the most watched network in the 18-49 demographics. BUT, CBS just overwhelms them in everything else. That's why CBS is the number one and ABC is number two.

ABC was the leader of only Sunday this week. They are usually the leaders of Sundays and Wednesdays but CBS was able to be them out with Criminal Minds and CSI: NY.

(sorry to get off-topic here)

Arrested never got good ratings. It's was too "intelligent" for the average TV viewer. You actually had to follow the show to understand it and (gasps) there was no laugh track to tell you when to laugh.

Mindless drivel wins again! HUZZAH!

Not fitting into the target audience sucks.

I can't sit in front of the moving picture box and watch the same stupid jokes over and over again and laugh along with the canned laughter as the trained monkeys dance in front of me.

I'm sure The Office will be next.

I love Arrested Development, and I'm very sory it's cancelled. However, I think FOX deserves credit for keeping it on as long as they did. It never got ratings. I'm going to make sure to buy the DVDs, and hopefully it will pop up on another network, though that sounds pretty doubtful right now.

I just hope they have enough time to work out a decent end to the series.

Also, the Office is actually doing pretty okay.

It's 18-49 ratings were at #20 last week or the week before. My Name Is Earl is helping it out big time.

The failed acting brother-in-law did have a show on HBO a few years back (the balding one who was married to the chick from Ally McBeal)

The character's name is Tobias, the actor's name is David Cross. He was the one of the stars and creators on the Mister Show. And he's a GREAT stand-up comedian. He does some 9/11 material that is some of the funniest ish, of AWL time (not really, but it's good).

He also did some voicework for Halo 2, the new Grand Theft Auto, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Scary Movie 2 and... POOTIE TANG!

"Sada TAY!"

...NBC seems to me to be falling out a bit. Ya, they still have ER, and shows like Will and Grace/Surface/etc...but they lack the big name show to put them over the top...

NBC's flagship show right now is LAW & ORDER: SVU. As a fan of the show, I can tell you -- so far, this season is a disappointment compared to the previous ones.

I'm also sort-of faithful to ER... that show lost its direction a loooong time ago. I give it another season, and that's it.

NBC is in big trouble. Only a miracle can save them from hitting rock-bottom in the next 2 years.

what did they do with Fear Factor =(

NBC lost its crown in 2004 when Friends and Frasier went off the air. Whoever controls the Thursday lineup usually controls everything else. Right now its CBS. I think its going to remain there until these Crime Drama shows go away(btw i do like those shows).

Most of the kids on 7th Heaven are grown up now anyway, so I don't see how they could keep that going much longer. Plus, as these actors become more well-known, like Jessica Biel, they command more money.

Arrested Development was alright, but I honestly won't miss it.

FOX is covered in January, when one of my favorite all-time shows, "24", finally returns for another season.

Of all the networks, I only watch FOX. There just isn't anything I find interesting on the others.

ABC might be in trouble from what I've heard, because the ratings on "Desperate Housewives" have plummeted compared to last year.