Marlins said no to Lastings Milledge....

According to a source familiar with the discussions, the Mets were willing to consider dealing Lastings Milledge instead of Petit. A near major league-ready center fielder, Milledge is the organization's top prospect, according to Baseball America. The Marlins simply liked Petit bette

Though the left-handed hitting Jacobs was drafted as a catcher, he won't be sliding back into that position if Paul Lo Duca is traded. The Arizona Diamondbacks are making a strong play for Lo Duca (due $12.5 million through 2007), who could be the next high-priced veteran shed during the Marlins' "market correction" to the payroll.

Where Lo Duca lands could also depend on which teams fall short in their bids for free-agent catchers Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina.

The Marlins are among a handful of clubs that have expressed interest in Devil Rays catcher Toby Hall, who figures to make about $2.8 million next year in salary arbitration. The Rockies and Diamondbacks have also inquired, but the Mets and Orioles have been the most persistent.

For Hall, the Marlins might be willing to part with Triple-A infielder Josh Wilson or versatile slugger Josh Willingham.

KEEP CASTILLO

The Marlins are debating what to do with Luis Castillo. They have talked about keeping him (despite his $5 million 2006 salary) to help shortstop Hanley Ramirez make the transition. Ramirez is the centerpiece of the pending Lowell-Beckett trade.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

Maybe the Marlins at the time were in talks to bring in a stud CF in another trade?

The Palm Beach Post does mention that the Marlins have been talking to the D-Rays about Joey Gathright. Other than that, I did read that there is some scouts who are unsure about just how good Milledge is, although the same can be said about Petit or any prospect.

I pose a question, if the Mets would have asked the Marlins to pay 15 mil instead of 7 would you still make the deal if Lastings Milledge replaced Mike Jacobs?

Delgado

15 Mil

Milledge

Petit

Psamos

??

The Mets aren't desperate to have anyone take on money. Even with Delgado, the Mets are only at a $81mil payroll. Mets will prob spend up to about a $120mil payroll. The Marlins passed on Milledge, but the reason they did was because it would not have been Milledge and Jacobs, it would have been just Milledge and Psomas. The Marlins liked Jacobs alot, so they went with that deal.

These were the two deals:

Milledge, Psomas for Delgado

or

Petit, Psomas and Jacobs for Delgado.

Marlins figured, they should take the one with the two good prospects instead of the one with the big prospect.

That's what they are reporting up here.

I pose a question, if the Mets would have asked the Marlins to pay 15 mil instead of 7 would you still make the deal if Lastings Milledge replaced Mike Jacobs?

Delgado

15 Mil

Milledge

Petit

Psamos

??

The Mets aren't desperate to have anyone take on money. Even with Delgado, the Mets are only at a $81mil payroll. Mets will prob spend up to about a $120mil payroll. The Marlins passed on Milledge, but the reason they did was because it would not have been Milledge and Jacobs, it would have been just Milledge and Psomas. The Marlins liked Jacobs alot, so they went with that deal.

These were the two deals:

Milledge, Psomas for Delgado

or

Petit, Psomas and Jacobs for Delgado.

Marlins figured, they should take the one with the two good prospects instead of the one with the big prospect.

That's what they are reporting up here.

Plus Jacobs gives us a potential starting 1Bman with good power to RF.....a semi-replacement for Delgado.

I'm hoping that Petit is the key to some other trade (like the Gathright rumor), because if we were offered Milledge, and turned him down to get another pitching prospect who doesn't profile as an ace, Beinfest is just flat out stupid.

There are 5 big name prospects out there, and we could have had 2 of them (Hanley and Milledge)...that's at least a silver lining considering the atrocious lack of position players in the system.

Petit might be on his way out, though I can see the FO choosing Jacobs (and therefore Petit) over Milledge strictly by position. Maybe they already know what they are going to send Tampa for Gathright, they've got RF settled, and are ready to go with The Hammer in LF. Outfielders are of course easier to come by than first baseman, especially one looked at as a Delgado clone. At this point, though, who even has a clue.

i look it this way

minaya says:

1-milledge for delgado and $7 mill

2-petit and jacobs for delgad and $7 mill

marlins:give me the #2

that way we have a young pitcher and someone who can play at 1st

Logically, option 2 would be an ideal choice by Beinfest, but I think with a guy like Milledge you have to take into account the sperstar abilities he has.

What if I told you Milledge was going to be a Cabrera clone, then which option would you take??

i look it this way

minaya says:

1-milledge for delgado and $7 mill

2-petit and jacobs for delgad and $7 mill

marlins:give me the #2

that way we have a young pitcher and someone who can play at 1st

Logically, option 2 would be an ideal choice by Beinfest, but I think with a guy like Milledge you have to take into account the sperstar abilities he has.

What if I told you Milledge was going to be a Cabrera clone, then which option would you take??

:whistle lol