I am excited about this team

jonnylons

Sorry if I am not wearing all black these days for the Marlins franchise. I think now we are finally starting to play hardball.

The politicians in Miami are idiotic. We all know this. But the Marlins FO and Loria thought they could persuade the fans that they were going to build a legitimate contender each year and demonstrate stability by doing that. And then, the fans woudl come back.

The problem isn't just the fans - it goes a little further than that. Like one of the most criminal leases in all of sports and an inconveniently located stadium in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do other than go to the game. Rain and weather does have an impact on that.

So, with the Marlins finally showing they dont have the money to keep going like this, they decide to purge the roster of its high-priced (and arguably overvalued) talents in order to demonstrate their dire need.

And now, los politicos may actually start to understand the situation. And so will their voters. The bluff is being called. No more Mr. Nice Loria.

But on the field, I am even more excited. We are getting back some SICK young talent that can contribute as early as next year. Jacobs, Hermida, Cabrera - all these guys are young, impact hitters that project to have some very good numbers. Petit and Sanchez are highly touted pitching prospects that can go along with our already deep and talented pitching pool.

Joe Girardi brings a great attitude with an expectation on winning. What is more, he was supposed to cultivate a winning attitude here BEFORE the purge and his task is still the same now. The upside is, he wont have to navigate through any possible veteran sentiments to do it.

I dont know, I think this team is going to be very competitive and surprise a lot of people. No, I am not expecting a miracle of getting into the World Series or even the playoffs. But looking at the Braves the last several years has me thinking, why not?

This team has loads of talent. It is young which means it will be inconsistent, but there is plenty to be excited about as both the on field game will be fun to watch as well as watching all the negotiations that will be stepped up over the next year for this franchise to finally get the facility it deserves.

Mets fans sure aren't excited about Delgado. On WFAN they keep talking about how horrible his defense is (it really wasn't that bad, but we were spoiled with DLee) and they mention how trading Jacobs screws up their chemistry. Can fans in NYC ever be happy? And they're all still talking about getting Manny, Billy Wagner, and Soriano. Absolutely laughable.

The young guys we got are going to make this exciting. They may not pan out in the end, but we'll be better for it, as I don't think we had a chance to make the playoffs with this squad pre-Boston and Met deals.

I'm with jonnylons on this all the way... Of course, I'm with everyone saying that I'll back the Marlins even if they don't win a game all year... However, we are getting some awesome players in return here.. Mike Jacobs could be a stud. Hanley Ramirez is already a stud to many who have been following him.. We've gotten a bunch of pitching prospects...

I'm excited about watching this team next season. Of course, I agree that they'll be inconsistent, but let's assume that someone steps up and keeps the Marlins here. With the nucleus they're building now, this team can be a dynasty in South Florida for years to come.

Hands up who really *didn't* see this current situation coming? Be honest now... :D

I don't think they will leave town and I'm looking forward to seeing this young team next year. You're right, it'll be up and down, but a season around the .500 mark shouldn't be out of the question, even though that will probably mean dead last in the NL East.

Does anyone know when the new players are assigned numbers? Im channeling my excitement into buying jerseys, but I want to get one for Han Ram and i dont want to have to wait till spring training....

My guess is that we won't know their numbers until we near Spring Training. A team may reveal their new player's number when it's a big name, but guys like Jacobs, Ramirez, Petit, Sanchez, etc... I wouldn't count on seeing that for a few more months.. I hope I'm wrong though. For some odd reason, that's one of the first things I've always looked at when getting new players.. and I don't even collect jerseys or anything..

Hands up who really *didn't* see this current situation coming? Be honest now... :D

I don't think they will leave town and I'm looking forward to seeing this young team next year. You're right, it'll be up and down, but a season around the .500 mark shouldn't be out of the question, even though that will probably mean dead last in the NL East.

just to point out the marlins only finished 4 games above .500 in 2004 and 2005 so... who knows, but we had josh carl and aj at the end of 2004 and delgado last year so...we'll see, should be fun to watch

and good post jonny.

Does anyone know when the new players are assigned numbers? Im channeling my excitement into buying jerseys, but I want to get one for Han Ram and i dont want to have to wait till spring training....

HanRam has always been #2 because Jeter is his favorite player, so I assume he'll be #2 in the big leagues as well and Easley will have to get a new number.

just to point out the marlins only finished 4 games above .500 in 2004 and 2005 so... who knows, but we had josh carl and aj at the end of 2004 and delgado last year so...we'll see, should be fun to watch

and good post jonny.

Actually, that is a great point. The Marlins had a big time payroll (by their standards) and only saw themselves stay 4 games over .500 at the end of it all. That is not worth it. In fact, they should have been the best team in the NL East last season and gone on to the playoffs - and that is not 'homerism' but truth in terms of just looking at the talent on paper.

Of course the Marlins had to do this - if they made the playoffs and made some extra bread - we have seen some minor changes. But in actuality, this team could perform about the same and cost a fraction of what it did last season - that is smart business.

Im excited as well, as talented as the Marlins were last year they didn't play with any fire, intensity, or interest (save Dontrelle and a few others) and it definatly didn't look like they were having fun. Hopefully all these young guys will bring this team to life so they will be fun to watch. I'm hoping for some great chemistry. :)

I agree with pretty much everything. When I heard about the Delgado trade to the Mets my first reaction was "why the f#%king Mets of all teams," but then my question was who did we get? When ythe rumors were flying before the acquisition of H. Ramirez, I figured that the fish would ask the Mets for a SS and that you might see a discussion around J. Reyers, but after acquiring Ramirez, I was looking at Jacobs. When I found out that he was included with Petit, I was thrilled. Honestly, whether you're having a fire sale or not, getting a younger and cheaper player that can probably produce comparable numbers to the guy your giving up is always a smart baseball move. I'm not saying that Jacobs is Delgado, but if he spends tha next few years putting up numbers along the lines of 20-25 HRs, 75+ RBI, and .270+ AVG and for $14 million less and for a longer period of time, we may walk away laughing at this one. Especially if Petit lives up to the potential. Someone mentioned the concerns of Mets fans in here. It's totaly true. Throughout Mets land, there is the concern that Jacobs may match Delgado's offense in the next few years and that giving up Petit might be their next Kazmir-like blunder. We'll all have to see.

As for the team, I will go out on a limb and say that if we get any adequate type pitching after D-Train, we can win anywhere from 75 to 85 games next year. Our offensive won't be a difference maker because it struggled last year. Remember, we scored 3 runs or less in nearly half of our games. It can't get much worse than that. Our bullpen was also lousy. Can't get much worse than that either. So it all depends on the likes of Vargas, Petit, J. Johnson, S. Olsen, A. Sanchez, and whoever else we get before Spring Training.

What most people forget that are expecting the Marlins' demise is that the fish still have one of MLB's best SPs in D-Train (the best in the NL East with maybe P. Martinez and T. Hudson) and we still have the stud that was 5th in NL MVP voting and arguably one of MLB's top ten offensive players. You start with these 2 on a team, it's easier to fill in the rest of the blanks.

Mark my words...75-85 wins in 2006

I'm really looking forward to Spring Training. Last season, there were only a few spots on the roster open. Next season, I imagine there will be quite a few, so these young guys are gonna be busting their arses from Day 1.

I get the feeling only three positions will be set - Miggy at third, Luis at second, and Dontrelle as the opening day starter. Besides that, evertying will be open. (This assumes we move JP and Lo Duca)

Guest Moneyball

I'm with you jonnylons, this team will be exciting to watch. I'm not as excited about the pitching (except for you know who :wub: ), but I'm real excited about the young line-up.

I promise to watch only because next year may be the "last" year. Having watched every team since 1993, and being a fan, I always look for the positive. Last year was the most positive on paper, but the least fun to watch. I'm sure I watched less innings last year than in any of the last 10 years. The 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, and especially 2002 were the best teams to watch.

Who knows what next year will hold record wise or watchability wise. Record wise, I think we need to add starting and bullpen pitching big time. But if a stadium deal is done I agree with others about not caring if we go 0-162. Watchability wise, it looks like fun on paper, but if a deal is not sealed that keeps them in South Florida, it's honestly hard to root for the youngsters. I honestly won't give a damn if Hanley Ramirez turns out to be a stud, if he's in Vegas, Portland, or Charlotte in 2008.

I personally can't wait. The fact that this team looks pretty much set with incredible talent for the next few years is going to be awesome. This is a very different situation than in 1998 because there was a lot of players that just weren't ready to be in the big leagues, that won't have in 2006.

I can't wait for Spring Training :thumbup