Hot Stove Rambling

Marlins2003

Just some hot stove talk because I'd rather play GM than discuss the chances of the Fish moving or steroids or likening salary dumps to losing your girlfriend.

I'm not in favor of trading LoDuca, and especially so considering how important a seasoned catcher is to the development of young pitchers, but that said LA has two young high ceiling catchers (Navarro and Martin) and their fans still have a love affair with Paulie, and bringing him "home" would go along way towards separating McCourt from the anger Dodgers fans have for what happened under Paul dePodesta...so question is...would you trade Paul LoDuca for Dioner Navarro?

I realize there are some here who would trade LoDuca for a bag of peanut shells. And there are some who wouldn't trade LoDuca under any circumstances. I fall somewhere in the middle.

If for example the Fish were to acquire Navarro and then picked up a Todd Pratt (let me be more definitive, specifically Todd Pratt) who has a good reputation working with young pitchers, as much as I'd hate seeing Treanor go (and again I know some here would applaud his departure), overall, in my mind Navarro and Pratt, at a quarter the price of LoDuca, is a deal the Fish would have to make.

Putting Treanor aside for a minute (I believe he has options left), I don't pretend to know enough about LA's needs to craft the ideal trade, but I'd assume we would have to include at least a pitching prospect (Olsen, Johnson ??) or, dare I say it, perhaps Luis Castillo. Jeff Kent wants to be traded if the Dodgers can't legitimately contend in '06 and has told the front office so. Coletti knows the problem with having Kent on a team from his days in San Francisco, and sarcastically calls Kent "Mr. Chuckles". Jettisoning JK (even to Minaya's Mets) would seem his first order of business if he wants his new manager to have any chance of regaining control of the clubhouse.

(My theory regarding the Mets is Omar Minaya is going to spend the Mets into oblivion and Wilpon will let him do it.)

Trading Castillo and LoDuca as a tandem would most certainly demand a financial contribution by the Marlins, perhaps in the vicinity of $6-8 million, but would also save the Marlins a net minimum of $15 million or so over the next two years. For the Fish, that's a big chunk of dough, and if somehow they can acquire an inexpensive first string catcher to boot, they are that much better going into 2006 and beyond.

So I see a trade that looks like this:

Marlins trade - Paul LoDuca, Luis Castillo and cash

or in the alternative Paul LoDuca and a starting pitching prospect (less cash)

Marlins receive - Dioner Navarro, mid-level prospect and/or Oscar Robles (career Mexican League 2B/3B - replaces Easley)

Marlins sign - Todd Pratt (experienced backup catcher who still has a good bat)

Lot's of stuff to agree or disagree with depending on your point of view, but let's face it, it's better than talking about steroids or Las Vegas.

Guest Moneyball

I'll pass on trading both. Yeah we're going young but this is abit overboard. Castle is going to be important in the development of Ramirez and Duca the pitchers.

As I said, I'm not in a "trade LoDuca" mode, but rather I do think if he is traded, the logical place is back to LA.

And the same goes for Castillo, but in his case he is so easily replaced at a much lower cost, and when combined with Barry Jackson's comment in today's Herald, I have to believe he and his $13 million, two year contract, is as good as gone. Many of you would rather keep an aging, chronically injured Luis Castillo and trade Juan Pierre, and I respect your opinions, but for me I'll take a healthy Juan Pierre over a broken part-timer like Castillo any day, especially if he no longer wants to be here.

Personally I'd like to keep all 3....Pierre, LoDuca and Castillo....at least for the moment. I agree with you we should offer Pierre a multi-year deal (2 or 3 years). Castillo is needed to help Ramirez mature. The same can be said for LoDuca with all the young arms we'll have next year. It will always be possible to trade them at the trading deadline, or next off-season if it comes down to it.

I am hopeful Loria will get back from Europe and take a look at the face of his 2006 team and decide he needs to keep some veteran leadership around.

As I said, I'm not in a "trade LoDuca" mode, but rather I do think if he is traded, the logical place is back to LA.

But we need to get more in return than Navarro.

Then, what would you propose as equal or acceptable compensation from LA for LoDuca?

How about LoDuca for that outfielder they have....Jason something

"I see no reason whatsoever to trade either LoDuca or Castillo and have to give up top prospects or send cash. Both contracts are highly tradeable, particularly Castillo's who gave a hometown discount to stay with the Marlins. If anything we should be the ones receiving top prospects."

I agree. Others wil send prospects for them. These are two awesome players. LoDuca is one of the best catchers and Louie is on of the best 2B. There is no way that the marlins can send cash as well. If they do........

But we need to get more in return than Navarro.

Then, what would you propose as equal or acceptable compensation from LA for LoDuca?

How about LoDuca for that outfielder they have....Jason something

Werth?

The problem is that the Marlins would be getting hosed if all they get is Navarro. I wouldn't even trade Lo Duca or Castillo individually for him.

No kidding...

A for effort, F for the idea

Seems to me the logical place is Arizona... The DBacks are in love with him (and have shown interest in JP).. would love if we could squeeze Carlos Quentin or Conor Jackson from them, but I doubt it. If they acquire Konerko, then maybe Jackson would be available? We most definitely could get Sergio Santos (and move him to 2B) from them since they have Drew and Upton.... and they do have some decent catchers in the minors.

Sign CJ to start as catcher this year...

:lol

Go to your room Rampster...lololol

I mean I dont really like the guy or his play, but he is a veteran catcher with Miami ties. If we could sign him cheap he wouldn't be ridiculously horrible as the backstop next year.

Im waiting for you to say "April Fools" or something

I mean I dont really like the guy or his play, but he is a veteran catcher with Miami ties. If we could sign him cheap he wouldn't be ridiculously horrible as the backstop next year.

You have to be kidding...besides being unable to hit at the MLB level I suspect you've forgetten his comments towards the Fish when they shipped him off to Colorado. :thumbdown