December 2, 200520 yr Did the Mets jump too soon and give up too much on Carlos Delgado? It's a question being asked these days. "That one surprised me," one AL executive said. "I never thought they would give up as much as they gave up if they were going to have to eat as much of Delgado's money as they ate. And to be honest, I don't think there was anybody else in on him beside the Mets." The Mets, on the other hand, were under the impression there were a number of teams battling for Delgado. But when Rumblings investigators checked around, we determined that the Orioles expressed early interest and then never made another serious overture. And Seattle was only interested if it could find a way to move money (possibly by dealing Richie Sexson). And the Angels weren't ready to do anything until they knew whether they could sign Paul Konerko. So in truth, it appears there really wasn't another team making any kind of serious run at Delgado at the time. But Omar Minaya isn't a guy who likes to sit around and wait to make anything happen, in case you hadn't noticed. http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/sto...yson&id=2243486 (Insider required) :lol :thumbup
December 2, 200520 yr The only way the Mets overpaid is if you believe that Jacobs will be (more or less) comparable by 2008. Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) so it's a leap of faith with Jacobs, and hoping that Petit has either the ability to get big league hitters out, or that he has enough value to be spun somewhere else (which is what I have a feeling will end up happening). You could make the case that we pulled the trigger too soon given that the Angels said they'd be interested if they didn't land Konerko. But, honestly, I'm beginning to think that the Marlins had a plan for the offseason given the way the dreaded Thanksgivning went down. Delgado had to be sandwiched in between two much bigger announcements to get that out of the headlines faster. Beckett being traded was a much bigger stomach punch to the fanbase, and the relocation threats quickly dismissed all Delgado talk...it was a controlled implosion.
December 2, 200520 yr The only way the Mets overpaid is if you believe that Jacobs will be (more or less) comparable by 2008. Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) so it's a leap of faith with Jacobs, and hoping that Petit has either the ability to get big league hitters out, or that he has enough value to be spun somewhere else (which is what I have a feeling will end up happening). You could make the case that we pulled the trigger too soon given that the Angels said they'd be interested if they didn't land Konerko. But, honestly, I'm beginning to think that the Marlins had a plan for the offseason given the way the dreaded Thanksgivning went down. Delgado had to be sandwiched in between two much bigger announcements to get that out of the headlines faster. Beckett being traded was a much bigger stomach punch to the fanbase, and the relocation threats quickly dismissed all Delgado talk...it was a controlled implosion. why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money?
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets.
December 2, 200520 yr I haven't been a fan of Petit's because he throws like a girl (if I remember correctly, he was throwing 84-86 mph fastballs in a spring training game against the fish), but his minor league numbers have been rather mind blowing, especially when you consider he just turned 21 in November. These are his career numbers: 2.76 6.5H/9IP 1.95 BB/9IP 11.16 K/9IP 0.94 WHIP. If that's not impressive, I don't know what is. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/y...iro-petit.shtml I think Jacobs will do very very well next season. I look for him and Hermida to compete for ROY. (And perhaps one of our pitchers, too) TSwift, I don't think Jacobs is a fringe prospect. He tore up AA as a 22 year old in 2003 and then missed most of 2004 with an injury. When he came back last season, he continued to do well in AA and was called up to the majors and did quite well there too. I don't see any indications that he's a "fringe" prospect. He just missed a year with injury. That could happen to anyone.
December 2, 200520 yr You know..as a Marlins fan, maybe I should look at something like this and think we got a great deal. Or, maybe I should be thinking that at least we got the best deal available. But, the truth is that I still feel that Carlos Delgado was worth every penny of that contract, and the Mets got themselves one hell of a player for a couple of prospects. If he stays healthy, he'll be worth what they paid for him. He was nothing but a force in our lineup the entire year, and unfortunately he fills a huge void on the Mets, which only increases their prospects of them winning the division. Carlos Delgado was clutch, professional, and wasn't as horrible defensively as I thought he would be (although he was definitely not that great...maybe I'm spoiled from DLee all those years). He finished in the top 10 in MVP voting (and rightfully so), AND if I assured you that he'd have put up those numbers last year before we signed him, not ONE of you would have thought we overpaid for his contract (which essentially cost us $11 million for one year after deferred payments). Now, maybe this comment is made in a vacuum...and maybe there are other considerations that factor into this...but that's just my take.
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets. Come on now - Jacobs isn't a fringe prospect. He was the #4 prospect (according to BA) in the Mets system and will check in around 10 for the Marlins next year (ahead of three of the top five pitchers taken in last year's draft) if no other trades are made (which is doubtful, but you get the point). He might not be a top prospect in the Hermida/Olsen/HanRam/Sanchez mode, but I wouldn't call him a fringe prospect by any means
December 2, 200520 yr You know..as a Marlins fan, maybe I should look at something like this and think we got a great deal. Or, maybe I should be thinking that at least we got the best deal available. But, the truth is that I still feel that Carlos Delgado was worth every penny of that contract, and the Mets got themselves one hell of a player for a couple of prospects. If he stays healthy, he'll be worth what they paid for him. He was nothing but a force in our lineup the entire year, and unfortunately he fills a huge void on the Mets, which only increases their prospects of them winning the division. Carlos Delgado was clutch, professional, and wasn't as horrible defensively as I thought he would be (although he was definitely not that great...maybe I'm spoiled from DLee all those years). He finished in the top 10 in MVP voting (and rightfully so), AND if I assured you that he'd have put up those numbers last year before we signed him, not ONE of you would have thought we overpaid for his contract (which essentially cost us $11 million for one year after deferred payments). Now, maybe this comment is made in a vacuum...and maybe there are other considerations that factor into this...but that's just my take. I agree. Delgado was huge for use. Miggy had higher batting average, but in reality Carlos was our best hitter last year. He missed a lot of games and he still had 33 home runs and drove in like 114 or something.
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets. Come on now - Jacobs isn't a fringe prospect. He was the #4 prospect (according to BA) in the Mets system and will check in around 10 for the Marlins next year (ahead of three of the top five pitchers taken in last year's draft) if no other trades are made (which is doubtful, but you get the point). He might not be a top prospect in the Hermida/Olsen/HanRam/Sanchez mode, but I wouldn't call him a fringe prospect by any means He'd still rank below Willingham, who is...a fringe prospect. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to hit 20 homeruns, but I'm also not saying it's a certainty. He's far from a sure thing, and that's what I'm talking about in context of this deal.
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets. Come on now - Jacobs isn't a fringe prospect. He was the #4 prospect (according to BA) in the Mets system and will check in around 10 for the Marlins next year (ahead of three of the top five pitchers taken in last year's draft) if no other trades are made (which is doubtful, but you get the point). He might not be a top prospect in the Hermida/Olsen/HanRam/Sanchez mode, but I wouldn't call him a fringe prospect by any means He'd still rank below Willingham, who is...a fringe prospect. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to hit 20 homeruns, but I'm also not saying it's a certainty. He's far from a sure thing, and that's what I'm talking about in context of this deal. Just because he'd rank below Willingham doesn't make him a fringe prospect. Resop, Marceaux, Tucker, and West would all ranked below Willy as well, and I wouldn't call them fringe prospects. Sure, Jacobs hitting 20 HR's isn't a certainty, but no prospect is ever a certainty. However, he's already produced some in the majors (albeit in only 100 AB's), so that's a positive. And if the Marlins were looking for MLB ready prospects, do the Angels, Orioles, Mariners, or any other team who was rumored to be in on Delgado have any prospects who are significantly more of a certainty than Jacobs?
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets. Come on now - Jacobs isn't a fringe prospect. He was the #4 prospect (according to BA) in the Mets system and will check in around 10 for the Marlins next year (ahead of three of the top five pitchers taken in last year's draft) if no other trades are made (which is doubtful, but you get the point). He might not be a top prospect in the Hermida/Olsen/HanRam/Sanchez mode, but I wouldn't call him a fringe prospect by any means He'd still rank below Willingham, who is...a fringe prospect. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to hit 20 homeruns, but I'm also not saying it's a certainty. He's far from a sure thing, and that's what I'm talking about in context of this deal. Just because he'd rank below Willingham doesn't make him a fringe prospect. Resop, Marceaux, Tucker, and West would all ranked below Willy as well, and I wouldn't call them fringe prospects. Sure, Jacobs hitting 20 HR's isn't a certainty, but no prospect is ever a certainty. However, he's already produced some in the majors (albeit in only 100 AB's), so that's a positive. And if the Marlins were looking for MLB ready prospects, do the Angels, Orioles, Mariners, or any other team who was rumored to be in on Delgado have any prospects who are significantly more of a certainty than Jacobs? The Angels sure as hell do.
December 2, 200520 yr only thing i dont like about this article is the fact that the angels would probably have been involved since konerko signed with the WS. I like their prospects better
December 2, 200520 yr why did the Mets had to throw in top 10 type prospects when they could have signed someone like Konerko for less money? Jacobs is a fringe prospect, and I think that Petit is overachieving and they simply sold high with him. Also, the Marlins really didn't have to trade Delgado, if no one bit, they would have probably traded Pierre, Castillo and LoDuca (all of whom could be easily moved) and gotten down to the same budget that we have now. Plus, to the Mets, all it is is taking on money and exchanging two "could be's" for one certainty. At best, this is a trade that helps both teams, and at worst, it's a run away for the Mets. Come on now - Jacobs isn't a fringe prospect. He was the #4 prospect (according to BA) in the Mets system and will check in around 10 for the Marlins next year (ahead of three of the top five pitchers taken in last year's draft) if no other trades are made (which is doubtful, but you get the point). He might not be a top prospect in the Hermida/Olsen/HanRam/Sanchez mode, but I wouldn't call him a fringe prospect by any means He'd still rank below Willingham, who is...a fringe prospect. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to hit 20 homeruns, but I'm also not saying it's a certainty. He's far from a sure thing, and that's what I'm talking about in context of this deal. Just because he'd rank below Willingham doesn't make him a fringe prospect. Resop, Marceaux, Tucker, and West would all ranked below Willy as well, and I wouldn't call them fringe prospects. Sure, Jacobs hitting 20 HR's isn't a certainty, but no prospect is ever a certainty. However, he's already produced some in the majors (albeit in only 100 AB's), so that's a positive. And if the Marlins were looking for MLB ready prospects, do the Angels, Orioles, Mariners, or any other team who was rumored to be in on Delgado have any prospects who are significantly more of a certainty than Jacobs? The Angels sure as hell do. I assume you are talking about Kotchman if the Marlins are looking to replace Delgado in the deal. If not, then it's fair game, but it seems like they're using these deals to acquire players that replace those being dealt. And if the Marlins couldn't get Milledge from the Mets, I doubt they'd get Kotchman without having to pick up alot more of Delgado's salary than they did (I doubt the Angels would deal Kotchman at all, but that's a different story). I'd love the Marlins to have picked up Mathis, Kendrick, or Callaspo from the Angels, but again, who knows if they were available, or if Beinfest would have even asked for them?
December 2, 200520 yr only thing i dont like about this article is the fact that the angels would probably have been involved since konerko signed with the WS. I like their prospects better yes, but on the other hand Konerko signed for less money than Delgado. so the Marlins would have probably ended up sending more cash in any trade. Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.Beinfest had a deal that made sense at the time, and he executed. I have ZERO problems with this trade. worst case, if both prospects are a major bust. We had Delgado for one year @ 11 million. Nothing wrong with that
December 2, 200520 yr Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) You know what? F--- the scouts if they're going to hold Psomas' college background and Petit's advanced non-physical skills against them.
December 2, 200520 yr Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) You know what? F--- the scouts if they're going to hold Psomas' college background and Petit's advanced non-physical skills against them. Totally agree.
December 2, 200520 yr Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) You know what? F--- the scouts if they're going to hold Psomas' college background and Petit's advanced non-physical skills against them. Totally agree. Me too.
December 2, 200520 yr Did the Mets jump too soon and give up too much on Carlos Delgado? It's a question being asked these days. "That one surprised me," one AL executive said. "I never thought they would give up as much as they gave up if they were going to have to eat as much of Delgado's money as they ate. And to be honest, I don't think there was anybody else in on him beside the Mets." The Mets, on the other hand, were under the impression there were a number of teams battling for Delgado. But when Rumblings investigators checked around, we determined that the Orioles expressed early interest and then never made another serious overture. And Seattle was only interested if it could find a way to move money (possibly by dealing Richie Sexson). And the Angels weren't ready to do anything until they knew whether they could sign Paul Konerko. So in truth, it appears there really wasn't another team making any kind of serious run at Delgado at the time. But Omar Minaya isn't a guy who likes to sit around and wait to make anything happen, in case you hadn't noticed. http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/sto...yson&id=2243486 (Insider required) :lol :thumbup I am going to take a shot in the air and guess they thought the whole world wanted Carlos Beltran from what they paid him in this case . . .
December 2, 200520 yr And the Marlins under-pay, say which is worst? Either way the Mets are becoming the team to beat, while we are selling away our surplus talent for prospects, I will remain positive, but let's not criticize a team that is actually doing something to win.
December 2, 200520 yr And the Marlins under-pay, say which is worst? Either way the Mets are becoming the team to beat, while we are selling away our surplus talent for prospects, I will remain positive, but let's not criticize a team that is actually doing something to win. The Mets have the $$$ this off-season. However they still haven't addressed their achilles heel and that's the starting rotation.
December 2, 200520 yr The only way the Mets overpaid is if you believe that Jacobs will be (more or less) comparable by 2008. Psomonas (SP?) and Petit have nice numbers, but scouts weren't overwhelmed by them (by what I gather) so it's a leap of faith with Jacobs, and hoping that Petit has either the ability to get big league hitters out, or that he has enough value to be spun somewhere else (which is what I have a feeling will end up happening). You could make the case that we pulled the trigger too soon given that the Angels said they'd be interested if they didn't land Konerko. But, honestly, I'm beginning to think that the Marlins had a plan for the offseason given the way the dreaded Thanksgivning went down. Delgado had to be sandwiched in between two much bigger announcements to get that out of the headlines faster. Beckett being traded was a much bigger stomach punch to the fanbase, and the relocation threats quickly dismissed all Delgado talk...it was a controlled implosion. Call me crazy, but I think Jacobs can have a 20-25, 85-90 type of season in 06. His sample size wasn't THAT small to be considered insignificant.
December 2, 200520 yr They are still the Mets and I would love to finish with a better record than them...it would be awesome.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.