City's preferred buyer identified per Barry Jackson

Strike 3

Barry Jackson column

? Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has been so emotional about trading veterans that tears were in his eyes when he spoke by phone with Josh Beckett and Carlos Delgado recently. . . . The Marlins don't like that a city of Miami official has tried to get Loria to sell. (He won't.) We hear the person pitched is Venezuelan billionaire media mogul Gustavo Cisneros.

To say the Cisneros family is mega-loaded is an understatement.

Sadly, Jeffrey Loria just doesn't seem to have the resources necessary to get a stadium built. His heart is certainly in the right place, and I respect him for that. I would wish for the sake of the team he would sell if this is the only way the Marlins could remain in South Florida.....but I just don't see this happening.

I'm not very familiar with this Cisneros guy.. Has he even publicly stated that he'd be interested in buying the Marlins? Or is his name being thrown out there, cause he has billions of dollars?

Well, Barry Jackson doesn't say where or how he heard this. I know that Cisneros owned Los Leones de Caracas baseball team - not sure if he still does - and that he's a big baseball fan.

I believe Cisneros is among Forbes' list of the world's richest men.

Apparently he owns "Venezuela's leading baseball team," and he controls most of the anti-Chavez media in Venezuela.

From the Telegraph:

Interview: Gustavo Cisneros

(Filed: 08/11/2005)

His family is worth $5billion and he shares 94th place with Kerry Packer and Michael Bloomberg in the Forbes Global Rich List. He counts Rupert Murdoch as a close friend but is suing News Corporation for $1billion.

He has had a tricky relationship with the left wing government in his native Venezuela and has been linked with buying Aston Villa Football Club.

Meet Gustavo Cisneros, the biggest media mogul you've never heard of.

The 60-year-old was in Cannes last month to be crowned Personality of the Year at TV industry jamboree Mipcom, surrounded by Venezuelan Miss World contestants and lauded on a big screen above the stage by his old mate Julio Iglesias.

With his brother Ricardo, Cisneros has built the modest Venezuelan bottling-to-television company he took over from his father in the late 1960s into a Latin American media powerhouse.

Cisneros Group has stakes in 75 companies across 80 countries, from television networks to mobile phone operators, to supermarkets and babyfood.

Its affiliate, US TV company Univision, recently sent a shockwave through the control rooms of the major networks by becoming the highest-rated station in New York, despite the fact that all its programmes are in Spanish.

"In the US the Spanish language market is the fastest-growing market of any ethnic group in the world. There are 45m Hispanics there. The US Hispanic economy is the size of Spain already, except it is growing twice as fast at 6.5pc a year.

"So what we are doing is providing those Hispanics with all the goods and services that we don't think US companies can because they simply don't understand that market. They could spend 25 years trying and they would not have the same understanding that we have."

US laws mean that foreigners cannot own more than 20pc of a TV or radio station, but rather than becoming a US citizen, like the Australian-born Rupert Murdoch, Cisneros has kept his nationality.

He has preferred to expand through partnerships, a strategy that has earned him the soubriquet "the joint-venture king".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../08/ixcoms.html

from bloomberg:

Cisneros said he plans to make purchases next year of U.S. companies that serve the Hispanic community.

``You'll be hearing a great deal about acquisitions,'' Cisneros said.

Cisneros, chairman and chief executive of Miami-based Cisneros Group, and his family are worth $5 billion, Forbes magazine estimated in March.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...r=latin_america

Gustavo Cisneros & family , 57 , inherited and growing

Track This Person

Source: media

Net Worth: $4 bil

Country of citizenship: Venezuela

Marital Status: married , 3 children

Babson College, Bachelor of Arts / Science

Latin America's media baron, owner of big holdings in Univision, AOL Latin America, DirecTV Latin America and a score of other media companies. An outspoken critic of Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez, whom he criticizes for "arrogant abuse of power and authority." In turn, Chavez accuses him of complicity in last April's coup attempt and of using his private TV station Venevision to undermine the administration, accusations Cisneros vehmently denies. Luckily, about 80% of his holdings are outside Venezuela. A socialite, Cisneros hobnobs with U.S. friends such as Jimmy Carter and George Bush Sr. Guests at his daughter's lavish New York wedding reception in October included Kofi Annan, Sid Bass and Oscar de la Renta.

Source -- http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/200...datatype=Person

If he were to buy the team, he could easily market the team in Venezuela. As I understand it, Miguel is a superstar back in his home country. Besides Miguel, we have the following Venezuelans on our roster: Jesus Delgado, Harvey Garcia, Yusmeiro Petit and Anibal Sanchez.

It is interesting that we've picked up all of this Venezuelan talent this offseason.

With all due respect, Mr. Loria should sell the team with Cisneros. He would build the stadium and within 3-4 years the Marlins would be playing in front of near sell out crowds every game. He knows how to market to Latinos and he will get them to come out and watch the Marlins - this FO doesn't know how to do that.

Cisnero already owns a team in Venezuela... it is obvious he's probably baseball crazy. He won't extort the city into giving him a stadium like Loria. He would probably finance a lot of it - certainly make up the difference that is said to exist between the Marlins and the city and county. He'd be a great owner. Same passion as Loria, but with deeper pockets. I am going to send Samson an e-mail.

As I understand it, Miguel is a superstar back in his home country.

yeah, apparently Cisneros has seen Miggy's work firsthand.

Venezuelan winter league baseball: Aragua clinches winter league title

The Venezuelan winter league baseball season has ended with the 7-6 victory of Tigres de Aragua over Leones de Caracas in the final game of final play-offs in Maracay (Aragua).

Caracas had equaled the series 2-2 on Thursday evening with a 5-3 victory in Maracay but they couldn't hold out last night against an inspired Aragua team.

Eddy Diaz was one of Aragon's heroes when his single hit ushered in three runs in the 4th innings and Miguel Cabrera inspired the Tigers, hitting a homer in the 3rd innings.

However, Caracas fought back, forcing Aragua fans to bite their nails right up to the end of gripping struggle ... Leones hit back from Aragua's 4-1 lead.

It's the fifth time that the Tigers have won the winter league and their second championship in succession.

Leones owner, media tycoon Gustavo Cisneros nearly saw his dream come true of winning the championship 4 years after he bought the club.

Caracas had an up-and-down season, lacking consistency and only picking up during Round Robin with the hiring of players such as pitcher, Francisco Rodriguez (K-Rod). The losing pitcher last night was relief pitcher, Andrew Lorraine and Geremis Gonzalez the winner, staying on the mound 3.2 innings and despite suffering a grand slam

The Tigers will be traveling to Mazatlan (Mexico) to take part in the Caribbean series. Everyone in Venezuela hopes they will be able to break the jinx of Venezuelan teams breaking down and losing and bring the bacon home to Venezuela.

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=24996

Just throwing this out here , but we all know Loria is relatively poor by mlb owner standards , he had to cobble together a group of investors to buy the team and was only able to buy the team on credit from mlb. Is it possible after his divorce that maybe he no longer owns the controlling stake of the Marlins? I wonder because why on earth would Samson still be a key figure in the the front office if his mommy and Loria are no longer together. I wonder if Loria is just a face for a group of investors who want to move the marlins ....just a thought

With all due respect, Mr. Loria should sell the team with Cisneros. He would build the stadium and within 3-4 years the Marlins would be playing in front of near sell out crowds every game. He knows how to market to Latinos and he will get them to come out and watch the Marlins - this FO doesn't know how to do that.

Wishful thinking. Almost feels like a dream. Probably closer to a dream than reality.

Cisnero already owns a team in Venezuela... it is obvious he's probably baseball crazy. He won't extort the city into giving him a stadium like Loria. He would probably finance a lot of it - certainly make up the difference that is said to exist between the Marlins and the city and county. He'd be a great owner. Same passion as Loria, but with deeper pockets. I am going to send Samson an e-mail.

MLB will not allow him to.

Just throwing this out here , but we all know Loria is relatively poor by mlb owner standards , he had to cobble together a group of investors to buy the team and was only able to buy the team on credit from mlb. Is it possible after his divorce that maybe he no longer owns the controlling stake of the Marlins? I wonder because why on earth would Samson still be a key figure in the the front office if his mommy and Loria are no longer together. I wonder if Loria is just a face for a group of investors who want to move the marlins ....just a thought

Actually Loria was brought in as an investor with the Expos. Later he was made chairman and took over the team through a series of cash calls that were not met by *shocking* rich local owners */shocking*.

There is no discussion that Loria should sell the team, he doesn't have what it takes to seriously own a team. I could buy a $1 mill. home, but I couldn't get any furniture or pay taxes for it, that is how Loria went into buying the Marlins, he can afford the sticker price of the team, but the operating expeses are just too much for what he wants to spend. Samson truly believes that the fans, city, county and state should be picking up the tab on their shortcomings for the financing needed to keep the Marlins here. Samson is not qualified to be a team President, that is one of the major issues with this ownership team. Plus I only half hearted believe that Loria has done everything he could to keep the Marlins here and competitive.

I want the Marlins to stay and would accept them fielding a minor league caliber team if that is what it will take to get a stadium built, but I will not be held hostage by an owner that wants everything done for him so that he can reap the rewards.