McNabb Criticized by NAACP Leader

The Fan

ESPN.com

McNabb answers critical column from NAACP leader

ESPN.com news services

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has expressed surprise and disappointment after hearing of racially-charged criticism made by Philadelphia NAACP president J. Whyatt Mondesire in a Nov. 27 column in the Philadelphia Sun.

Mondesire, the Sun's publisher and editor, wrote that McNabb is a "mediocre talent" who tries to disguise his ineffectiveness behind "some concocted reasoning" that African-American quarterbacks who scramble are somehow lesser "field generals."

McNabb, who endured Rush Limbaugh's comments just a few years earlier, was baffled by Mondesire remarks.

"Especially being the same color I am," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Obviously if it's someone else who is not African-American, it's racism. But when someone of the same race talks about you because you're selling out because you're not running the ball, it goes back to what are we really talking about here?

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing. When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African-Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

Mondesire also claimed that McNabb's "failure as a team leader off the field" led to the Terrell Owens situation. If McNabb "had the courage to offer only a tiny fraction" of his bonus to Owens and running back Brian Westbrook, Mondesire wrote, the "media circus" could have been avoided.

"When you go deep into that, or say I didn't stick up for someone, or why didn't I give a little bit of my money to someone else who is making money, you try to find an answer for that," McNabb told the Phialdelphia Daily News. "There's no answer that I've found."

McNabb plans to move on from Mondesire's column, but for the first time in his Eagles' tenure, McNabb has to answer questions about locker room leadership.

"This season was a tough season from the beginning," McNabb told the Inquirer. "People may blame it on just one particular person, but ... it's something that kind of spread in the locker room.

"There's never been a question of me losing the locker room until this year. If I've lost the locker room, then the question goes up why. Is it because now people are starting to look at me sideways for what I've been doing, or what I make, or whatever he had a problem with? That's the question I'm trying to get answered: If I've lost the locker room or not? No answer has come my way.

"But I do know the main reason we're not a good team is because we don't play as a team. Everybody has to realize that in order for us to get back to the Super Bowl and win it, we all have to play well together. You never heard anything like this coming from the Indianapolis Colts. You never heard anything like this coming from the New England Patriots. Baltimore, when they won the Super Bowl, they never had anything like this."

What a douche this NAACP leader is. I can't wait until his past is dug up.

When a black guy says it, there is no uproar from the main stream media or the public. When Limbaugh says it, it's racism. McNabb is overrated by the media. The talent on the Eagles surrounding him is what made them a winner.

And what talent would that be, Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis?

Guest FishFanInPA

When a black guy says it, there is no uproar from the main stream media or the public. When Limbaugh says it, it's racism. McNabb is overrated by the media. The talent on the Eagles surrounding him is what made them a winner.

Fish Tank you are sorely mistaken....McNabb led this team to the playoffs with Charles Johnson and Torrence Small as his wideouts. To upgrade they eventually got Todd Pinkston and the ever popular James Thrash....I really think that McNabb made them....they didnt make him.

Terrell Owens.

Brian Westbrook.

Good Defense.

Good coaching staff.

Terrell Owens.

Brian Westbrook.

Good Defense.

Good coaching staff.

He made it to multiple NFC Championships without TO and ran through the NFC playoffs and made the SB without TO last year.

Brian Westbrook is a good talent, but I believe the most he has ever rushed for is around 800 yards. I know that he is also a good receiver and I know the Eagles don't run often, but the fact that they pass alot and defenses still could not stop McNabb in the past is a mark for him.

They have always had a good D, youre right...but lets be honest, nobody has ever accused them of soley relying on their D like the Bears of this year or teams of the past like the Baltimore Ravens, McNabb has always made the offense potent without really any great receiving talents around him besides TO for 3/4 a season last year in a pass oriented offense.

They have a good coaching staff, but does that really count for much in this discussion as the on-field talent around him?

Guest FishFanInPA

coaching staffs can make the player....Brad Childress has been instrumental in McNabb's development......And your underestimating the meaning of Westbrook to the offense....Westbrook means 1000x more then Owens to this team.

Guest FishFanInPA

Wilks, as a Philadelphian, I love your sig....Penn's my 3rd favorite Big 5 team behind Temple and La Salle....I recommend any college basketball fan goes to the Palestra before they die and if your a real fan, you'll go there for a big 5 classic.

Mondesire, the Sun's publisher and editor, wrote that McNabb is a "mediocre talent" who tries to disguise his ineffectiveness behind "some concocted reasoning" that African-American quarterbacks who scramble are somehow lesser "field generals."

its one thing to call him mediocre, its another thing to make him being a pocket passer a racial issue

Uh, no. Mondesire sounds like an ass. Limbaugh is unquestionably an ass. McNabb had almost no talent on that team & was still leading them to the playoffs. That article is one of the most ridiculous pieces of crap I've ever read.

He isnt getting a free pass:

The national president of the NAACP said Thursday that he was outraged by comments in a column about Donovan McNabb written by the Philadelphia chapter president.

NAACP president and CEO Bruce S. Gordon responded to the controversy caused by J. Whyatt Mondesire in his Nov. 27 column for the Philadelphia Sunday Sun. Mondesire, who owns the paper, criticized the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback's leadership skills and said he "played the race card" in explaining why he no longer runs the ball.

"Whatever possessed Mondesire to take such a negative position on a positive person like McNabb is beyond me," Gordon said. "The NAACP has many civil rights issues that require our attention. Criticizing Donovan McNabb is not one of them."

Mondesire said that his column critical of McNabb was based on his opinions alone and did not necessarily reflect the position of either the local Philadelphia NAACP or that of the national organization.

Earlier in the week, McNabb responded sharply to the column, which called him "mediocre at best."

"If you talk about my play, that's one thing," McNabb told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "When you talk about my race, now we've got problems. If you're trying to make a name off my name, again, I hope your closet is clean because something is going to come out about you ... I always thought the NAACP supported African Americans and didn't talk bad about them. Now you learn a little bit more."

Gordon will try to repair some of the damage.

"In light of Mondesire's criticism it has become a personal priority of mine to set the record straight," Gordon said. "I intend to reach out to Mr. McNabb personally to offer my apology as well as my support."

McNabb's season ended last month when he decided to have surgery for a sports hernia. It's been a miserable year for the five-time Pro Bowl selection, starting with his feud with now-banished wideout Terrell Owens.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2260096

bout time something good comes out this......

i neva seen so much uncalled bashing of such good playa and good human being......

f*** Philly The fans,Media, and everything about this garbage city who can't appriciate what a good qb they have.......

its time 4 my boy mcNabb to move on...... come to the dolphins we'll treat you good..........

hahahah somebody said with all that talent McNabb has...... hahahha on the defensive side "yes"

on the offense they have NOTHING

i dont care what ya say Westbrook isnt even a top 15 RB in the game........

the city of Philly is f***ing up again.......

They ran Scott Rolen off....... Curt Schilling...... Duece Staley and now there gonna run off McNabb

I hate they city of Philly.... J.T the brick is right about Philly wha bunch of unappreactive a**holes.........

mediocre qb???? wasn't it 3 NFC championship games and a Superbowl apperance?????

My Boy is Jim Kelly of the melenium only with out the talent on the offensive side the ball.......

Guest FishFanInPA

bout time something good comes out this......

i neva seen so much uncalled bashing of such good playa and good human being......

f*** Philly The fans,Media, and everything about this garbage city who can't appriciate what a good qb they have.......

its time 4 my boy mcNabb to move on...... come to the dolphins we'll treat you good..........

hahahah somebody said with all that talent McNabb has...... hahahha on the defensive side "yes"

on the offense they have NOTHING

i dont care what ya say Westbrook isnt even a top 15 RB in the game........

the city of Philly is f***ing up again.......

They ran Scott Rolen off....... Curt Schilling...... Duece Staley and now there gonna run off McNabb

I hate they city of Philly.... J.T the brick is right about Philly wha bunch of unappreactive a**holes.........

mediocre qb???? wasn't it 3 NFC championship games and a Superbowl apperance?????

My Boy is Jim Kelly of the melenium only with out the talent on the offensive side the ball.......

Very intelligent and well thought out...that hooked on phonics worked well for you....Philadelphia trumps Miami as a better sports city....lest we forget your support of the Marlins during the playoff run and your support of the Hurricanes who draw what....12, 13 people a game???

Your Westbrook comment is just as funny too....He's top 7 RB's in the league....

Finally, Philadelphia did not run Duce Staley off and the people of Philadelphia arent running McNabb off...Don't let some comments from the NAACP make you think that everyone in the city thinks that way....

Actually all this work i put into this reply trumps the 10 seconds you think about anything else besides jacking off to your own stupidity.