Less Than Half Of The Victims Of Katrina Were Black

Passion

Statistics released by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals suggest that fewer than half of the victims of Hurricane Katrina were black, and that whites died at the highest rate of all races in New Orleans.

Liberals in the aftermath of the storm were quick to allege that the Bush administration delayed its response to the catastrophe because most of the victims were black.

Damu Smith, founder of the National Black Environmental Justice Network, in September said that the federal government "ignored us, they forgot about us ... because we look like we look."

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in October said that the Federal Emergency Management Agency wasn't fit to help the storm's victims because "there are not enough blacks high up in FEMA" and added that, "certainly the Red Cross is the same."

Rapper Kanye West used his time on NBC's telethon for the hurricane victims to charge that, "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in New Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities. According to the 2000 census, whites make up 28 percent of the city's population, but the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals indicates that whites constitute 36.6 percent of the storm's fatalities in the city.

African-Americans make up 67.25 percent of the population and 59.1 percent of the deceased. Other minorities constitute approximately 5 percent of the population and represented 4.3 percent of the storm's fatalities.

Overall for the state, 658 bodies have been identified. Forty-seven percent were African-American and 42 percent were Caucasian. The remaining bodies were either non-black minorities or undetermined.

An additional 247 victims have not been identified, so their demographic information has not been released.

The data showed that the majority of Katrina's victims lived in the Orleans parish. The nearby St. Bernard and Jefferson parishes had 91 and 25 victims, respectively.

The storm also did not discriminate based on gender. Fifty percent of the victims were male and 49 percent were female, with 1 percent being undetermined.

Calls requesting comment from Damu Smith and the Nation of Islam were not returned Wednesday.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page...T20051214b.html

CNS News = fanboys of the Bush administration

Come back to me with a credible source

hey, i know a source you'd undoubtedly find credible... :mischief2

Doom, gloom and falling skies is always the recipe for disaster reporting. The Chicken Littles of television's Entertainment News shout and scream at the sight of the first rain cloud on the horizon, and most of the other reporting from New Orleans, particularly after shock and awe subsided, has done nobody good. The usual blabbermouths rushed in to describe Katrina relief as a fevered reprise of Dachau, Buchenwald and Auschwitz, and found cameras and notebooks waiting. The Rev. Jesse Jackson, ever on the scout for exploitable misery, saw nothing but sinister intention in the rush to help. Louis Farrakhan said the feds weren't fit to help the refugees from the storm, rapper Kanye West said George W. Bush "just doesn't care about black people," and a clutch of congressmen were entertained with fantastical claims that white folks had deliberately dynamited the levees to drown black folks.

Now it turns out that white folks, not black folks, suffered disproportionately. Figures compiled by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals reveal that fewer than half of the 658 bodies from New Orleans identified so far are black, though blacks made up nearly 70 percent of the ante-Katrina population. A slightly smaller number were white, though whites comprised only 30 percent of the ante-Katrina population. Nearly all of the sob-sister reporting focused on the black Ninth Ward, but the middle-class, mostly white Lakeview neighborhoods were equally devastated.

Such fly-specking of the statistics is sad, because a hundred percent of the suffering was human. In modern America, where race-hustling is a growth industry, it's sometimes difficult to keep the human statistic in mind. The flood waters behind the levees the feds promise to rebuild higher and stronger are equal-opportunity killers. The good news is for everybody.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/pruden121605.asp

CNS News = fanboys of the Bush administration

Come back to me with a credible source

hey, i know a source you'd undoubtedly find credible... :mischief2

Doom, gloom and falling skies is always the recipe for disaster reporting. The Chicken Littles of television's Entertainment News shout and scream at the sight of the first rain cloud on the horizon, and most of the other reporting from New Orleans, particularly after shock and awe subsided, has done nobody good. The usual blabbermouths rushed in to describe Katrina relief as a fevered reprise of Dachau, Buchenwald and Auschwitz, and found cameras and notebooks waiting. The Rev. Jesse Jackson, ever on the scout for exploitable misery, saw nothing but sinister intention in the rush to help. Louis Farrakhan said the feds weren't fit to help the refugees from the storm, rapper Kanye West said George W. Bush "just doesn't care about black people," and a clutch of congressmen were entertained with fantastical claims that white folks had deliberately dynamited the levees to drown black folks.

Now it turns out that white folks, not black folks, suffered disproportionately. Figures compiled by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals reveal that fewer than half of the 658 bodies from New Orleans identified so far are black, though blacks made up nearly 70 percent of the ante-Katrina population. A slightly smaller number were white, though whites comprised only 30 percent of the ante-Katrina population. Nearly all of the sob-sister reporting focused on the black Ninth Ward, but the middle-class, mostly white Lakeview neighborhoods were equally devastated.

Such fly-specking of the statistics is sad, because a hundred percent of the suffering was human. In modern America, where race-hustling is a growth industry, it's sometimes difficult to keep the human statistic in mind. The flood waters behind the levees the feds promise to rebuild higher and stronger are equal-opportunity killers. The good news is for everybody.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/pruden121605.asp

Wow...great find! Shaq-man, you just made my day. The Jewish World Review...awesome.

For the life of me...I can't understand why any Jew would not support Bush. With this administration's strong support of Israel and the quest to bring democracy to the Middle East I would think all Jews would be supporting W.

Wow, thank God we now know that black people weren't the predominant victims in this and that a majority of those left in the squallor were white people. Those stupid black people. How dare they try to claim they were left out in the cold and abandoned by the rest of the country while the federal government took their time. I mean look at all the white people who sat and waited and waited for days for their government to help them below. Look at all those white people. Ive never seen so many white people!

Oh and all the black people in the pictures, clearly they arent victims. Clearly this is an upgrade for them as Barb Bush would say.

Stupid black people just wanted to get attention!

Good to know the Katrina revisionism is starting right now. I bet in a couple years the story will go that Bush rode in on a his trusty steed with his cowboy brethern Cheney and Brown. They came in and saved the day, pushing all the water back themselves!

Wow, way to take things that arent there and tiwst it and mke it into your own sarcasm Mollusk.

New Orleans is like 63 percent black, I would think that ALOT of the pictures would be predominately black.

Many people thought it would be overwhelming blacks, it wasnt and I posted the figures.

Get off your high sarcastic horse.

Those aren't dead people F_M.

Only dead people are victims? The whole racial aspect of it had to do with how people who were left behind didnt get help for days after the storm left. How they didnt have water and food while the feds twiddled around.

Id say this is textbook bait and switch. Im not defending what West and Farrakhan say. But statements like federal government "ignored us, they forgot about us ... because we look like we look" clearly arent made per se false with death statistics.

Only dead people are victims? The whole racial aspect of it had to do with how people who were left behind didnt get help for days after the storm left. How they didnt have water and food while the feds twiddled around.

And the point of this thread and article was about the death totals. Something that you obviously missed the point of.

And the point of this thread and article was about the death totals. Something that you obviously missed the point of.

No the point of the article was to say "liberals in the aftermath of the storm were quick to allege that the Bush administration delayed its response to the catastrophe because most of the victims were black." Youre trying to say the majority of the victims werent black because the majority of people who died werent black. You let them narrow the definition of victim to distort the conclusion. I could say the majority of people who died during the actual hurricane, and not the after hurricane flood, were black, so the definition of victim allows still another conclusion. See how that works? I hope this isnt your idea of fair and balanced reporting.

In terms of those who suffered because of the delayed response(what caused the most outrage), I dont know how you can seriously say most of the people werent black.

Victims of delayed response does not equal people who died. Victims of delayed response are the above pictured. Nobody every said black people were the major victims of the failed levee system that killed poeple. It was said that black people were the victims of the delayed response. If you ignore what else the article alleges(majority of victims of delayed response werent black) and then follow the final conclusion(liberals are liars) based on the improper statistics(death rather then left behind), you're ignoring key logical steps.

Im looking at the statistics, thats what I care about. I barely paid attention to what else was said.

I can damn well bet the majority of Americans believe the overwhelming of victims in NOLA were black, and that isnt the case.

ya but victims are not just dead.

So what is worth...death or dehydration, hunger and survivable injuries?

Of course the majority of victims were black, the overwhelming majority of NOLA is black. Shocking development there.

Im looking at the statistics, thats what I care about. I barely paid attention to what else was said.

I can damn well bet the majority of Americans believe the overwhelming of victims in NOLA were black, and that isnt the case.

Of course the majority of victims were black, the overwhelming majority of NOLA is black. Shocking development there.

so the majority of reported dead are white. big deal, they are dead and gone and most probably were in bad shape before the Hurricane.

sure if we want to say that the majority of dead are white fine.

saying the majority of victims are white is a bit of an exaggeration.

so the majority of reported dead are white. big deal, they are dead and gone and most probably were in bad shape before the Hurricane.

sure if we want to say that the majority of dead are white fine.

saying the majority of victims are white is a bit of an exaggeration.

Exactly. You don't have to be dead to be a victim of Katrina. Those who lost their homes, who have gotten severely sick, who were left behind and unattended by the government, and who suffered through anything related to Katrina are also victims. Just because you didn't die doesn't make you a non-victim. You just need to apply common sense and logic here.

Also, there are still almost 300 unidentified dead bodies. You don't know how the total death figures will look. From what I've read elsewhere, a lot of white people died because they were left behind in hospitals. And those white people that weren't in hospitals to begin with but got sick or injured were more likely to be taken to a hospital because 1) of where they lived and 2) because they got more attention. Black people are much less likely to have insurance and therefore be hospitalized in the first place. Not to mention that the majority black areas were basically abandoned and ignored by government authorities, therefore no one was being taken to the hospital if they were on the verge of dying. So if they died, they were less likely to die in hospitals. And these statistics were based on hospital records.

George W. Bush 1, Kanye West 0

:lol :lol You crack me up. Latinos in So. Florida don't know how good they have it until they have to deal with the rednecks and other racists in other parts of the country. Of course, what Kanye West said was absurd. But if you think this article proves that the federal, state, and local governments didn't mess up during Katrina you're not thinking clearly.