Diet soda vs. Regular soda

Hollyberry

I am doing a mini study seeing which soda is better to drink. (Not taste wise). I am doing something on weightloss and fitness.

**For those who drink DIET soda**

- How many soda do you drink every day? Week?

-Do you think you are overweight? (It has something to do with this study :lol )

-How long have you been drinking diet soda?

- Do you believe diet soda is heathier than regular soda?

-Do you drink soda to lose weight? If so.. Has it worked?

-Do you feel hungry after drinking diet soda?

** For those who drink REGULAR soda**

- How many regular sodas do you drink a day? week?

-Do you think you are overweight?

Just research some of the biochemistry behind aspartame and you won't find many reasons to drink diet. I guess people with diabetes can have it, but that's about it.

Aspertame isn't even the worst of it. First of all, your body responds to artificial sweeteners in the same way it responds to regular sugar - so the only "benefit" of drinking the diet soda [no calories] is almost negated.

The WORST part of drinking diet soda - especially for females - is that it contains high amounts of phosphates. Phosphates are a problem because they interfere with the bodies natural ability to build and regenerate bone by blocking calcium absorption. This can - and has - lead to osteoporosis. There has been a scary trend in increasing numbers of brittle bone diseases among young women.

If I get a chance later, I'll link to some reputable sites.

Here is some news on Diet soda

Diet sodas contain aspartame (NutraSweet) which is terrible for your health. It has been linked to brain tumors, headaches, Parkinson's, Lou Gerig's, Alzheimer's, etc.

This explains how apartame doesn't really help you lose weight:

In a cruel and ironic twist, aspartame may actually cause weight gain. Phenylalanine and aspartic acid, found in aspartame, stimulate the release of insulin. Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat. This can result in hypoglycemia and sugar cravings. Additionally, it has been demonstrated to inhibit carbohydrate induced synthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which signals that the body is satiated. Inhibition of serotonin leads to food cravings, increased carbohydrate consumption and, ultimately, weight gain. In a recent study, a control group switching to an aspartame-free diet resulted in an average weight loss of 19 pounds.

http://www.aspartamekills.com/lydon.htm

In a cruel and ironic twist, aspartame may actually cause weight gain. Phenylalanine and aspartic acid, found in aspartame, stimulate the release of insulin. Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat. This can result in hypoglycemia and sugar cravings.

That's exactly what I was trying to say here:

First of all, your body responds to artificial sweeteners in the same way it responds to regular sugar - so the only "benefit" of drinking the diet soda [no calories] is almost negated.

Your body still reacts to artificial sweeteners by spiking insulin. This is the main reason that Atkins dieters are told to steer clear of diet sodas and anyone who uses some form of hypoglycemic index diet avoids diet sodas as well.

On a side note, I try to avoid sodas in general. There is something wholly unsettling about ingesting a product capable of loosening a rusted bolts - a la WD-40!

Check this site out for other fun uses!