Sutter elected to Hall of Fame

MrAndMrsFish

NEW YORK … (AP) … Bruce Sutter was elected to the Hall of Fame on Tuesday, just the fourth relief pitcher given

baseball's highest honor.

Sutter, the first pitcher elected to the Hall with no career starts, was selected on 400 of a record 520 ballots

cast by 10-year members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America for 76.9 percent.

Players needed 390 votes (75 percent) to gain election. Jim Rice fell 53 votes short, finishing second with 337 votes

(64.8 percent), one ahead of Goose Gossage. (MY EDIT) Andre Dawson finished fourth.

Sutter was on the ballot for the 13th time, the first player elected in his 13th try or later since Ralph Kiner in

1975. Rice was appearing for the 12th time and has three years remaining on the writers' ballot. Gossage was on the

ballot for the seventh time.

It might be difficult for Rice and Gossage to gain votes next year, when Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn and Mark McGwire

appear on the ballot for the first time. Each voter may select up to 10 players.

The other players in the Hall who primarily were relievers are Hoyt Wilhelm (elected in 1985), Rollie Fingers (1992) and

Dennis Eckersley (2004).

In a shocking turn of event former Marlin Alex Fernandez got 0 votes for the Hall of Fame

voting (520 ballots, 390 votes needed for induction): x-Bruce Sutter 400 (76.9%), Jim Rice 337 (64.8%), Rich "Goose'' Gossage 336 (64.6%), Andre Dawson 317 (61.0%), Bert Blyleven 277 (53.3%), Lee Smith 234 (45.0%), Jack Morris 214 (41.2%), Tommy John 154 (29.6%), Steve Garvey 135 (26.0%), Alan Trammell 92 (17.7%), Dave Parker 76 (14.4%), Dave Concepcion 65 (12.5%), Don Mattingly 64 (12.3%), Orel Hershiser 58 (11.2%), Dale Murphy 56 (10.8%), Albert Belle 40 (7.7%).

By receiving fewer than 26 votes (less than 5 percent), Will Clark 23 (4.4%), Dwight Gooden 17 (3.3%), Willie McGee

12 (2.3%), Hal Morris 5 (1.0%), Ozzie Guillen 5 (1.0%), Gary Gaetti 4 (0.8%), John Wetteland 4 (0.8%), Rick Aguilera 3

(0.6%), Doug Jones 2 (0.2%), Greg Jefferies 2 (0.4%), Walt Weiss 1 (0.2%), Gary DiSarcina 0 (0.0%), Alex Fernandez 0

(0.0%) are no longer eligible for election by the BBWAA

Former Marlins in bold

Dawson has a shot on Hall ballot

Andre Dawson, who is one of three players with at least 400 homers and 300 stolen bases, might have his four-year wait for induction in Cooperstown end.

BY KEVIN BAXTER

kbaxter@MiamiHerald.com

The last time Andre Dawson and Ryne Sandberg were joined in baseball was 1992, when both played for the Chicago Cubs. But that could change today when voting is announced for arguably the sport's most cherished prize: a place in the Hall of Fame.

Dawson is on the ballot for the fifth time, and though he has seen his support grow each January, he has never come close to winning the 75 percent of the vote necessary for induction. So Sandberg, who was enshrined last July, used part of his induction speech in Cooperstown, N.Y., to call for he and Dawson to be reunited again.

''No player in baseball history worked harder, suffered more or did it better than Andre Dawson. He's the best I've ever seen,'' Sandberg said. ``And I hope he will stand up here someday.''

Dawson's numbers would seem to require no special support.

A former National League Rookie of the Year and MVP, the eight-time All-Star is one of just three players to hit at least 400 homers and steal at least 300 bases. Willie Mays and Barry Bonds are the others.

And in 21 big-league seasons with the Expos, Cubs, Red Sox and Marlins, Dawson hit .279 with 438 home runs and 1,591 RBI. Dave Kingman is the only Hall-eligible player with more homers who has not won induction, and none of the 23 Hall-eligible players with more RBI has missed enshrinement.

Yet Dawson, who also won eight Gold Gloves as a right fielder despite chronically sore knees that required multiple surgeries, has never received mention on more than 52.5 percent of the ballots cast by 10-year members of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

However, his support is growing. In addition to Sandberg, who doesn't have a vote, a number of prominent baseball writers have recently written that Dawson is now a worthy Hall of Famer. (And as an added bonus, Dawson, whose MVP season came in a Cubs uniform, can take solace in the fact that 10 of the more than 500 writers expected to vote work for The Chicago Tribune.)

''I know he falls short in some regards, but he kind of represents what a Hall of Famer should be all about,'' said Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.com and formerly a columnist with The Sporting News. ``Just his character. He played hurt. He had so much respect from his peers. Players loved him.

``I just think he should be in. He's just such class. He does have the 400 homers. He did do some amazing things in the outfield. He did play hurt. And that character, to me, just puts him over the top.''

For his part, Dawson admits he has grown weary -- and frustrated -- by the whole thing. His statistics, he argues, haven't changed since he retired 10 years ago. So why should the number of Hall of Fame votes he gets change each year?

SHOULD BE IN

''In all actuality, I think I should have gone in with Ozzie Smith [in 2002]. On the first ballot,'' said Dawson, now a special assistant to Marlins president David Samson. ``If Ozzie Smith was a sure-shot, first-ballot Hall of Famer, then I look at him, playing in the same generation, [and ask] what was the vast difference in the two of us as ballplayers?

``Ozzie Smith, in my opinion, was a Hall of Famer. And he went in, and I still have yet to get in.''

And if Dawson doesn't make it this year, he might have to wait awhile before getting strong consideration again. Among the players eligible for Hall induction next year are Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr. and Mark McGwire. In three years, Rickey Henderson will be on the ballot.

''This year there's a little bit more of a window,'' said Dawson, a former Miami Southwest High standout who could join North Miami's Steve Carlton as the only South Florida natives in the Hall of Fame. ``They don't put any more than two, three at most, in at one time. The Hall, being so sacred, it's a tough fraternity. So this is probably the biggest window.''

Among those trying to climb through with Dawson this year are trailblazing reliever Bruce Sutter, who fell 43 votes short of the Hall last year; former Red Sox slugger Jim Rice, who has just three years of eligibility on the BBWAA ballot left; pitchers Tommy John and Bert Blyleven, who won 288 and 287 games, respectively; closer Goose Gossage, who saved 310 games; and Don Mattingly, a former AL batting champion and MVP.

NEW CANDIDATES

The 14 players appearing on the 29-man ballot for the first time include outfielder Albert Belle, White Sox manager and former White Sox infielder Ozzie Guillen and former Miami Pace High and Miami-Dade College pitcher Alex Fernandez.

''[sandberg's speech] was a huge endorsement,'' Dawson said. ``The peers, the people that you play with every day, they are better judges. They know your makeup, your character.

``With the window that's there this year, it makes for a better opportunity.''

Still, Dawson isn't preparing his speech just yet.

''The criteria seems to change from year to year,'' he said. ``It seems like [the voters] try to find something negative to dwell on. I'm not really optimistic.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13589006.htm

What a crock of $4!t !!!! This is total BS, I mean if the at one time all-time saves leader Lee Smith isn't in before Sutter this Hall doesn't mean a whole lot. What do Blyleven and Tommy John need to do to get in come back and plug away to get those 13-14 wins that reach 300, while Whitey Ford, Jim Bunning and others with just over 200 wins made it. For Hawk and Jim Rice not to be in is a shame. These guys were the best in the game each of them for a good 4-5 year period and continued to be solid players for a long time. :banghead :mad

I don't know why people think Lee Smith should get in. His saves record will be quickly surpassed by Trevor Hoffman in the next season/season and a half.

I believe that the following people deserve future induction:

-Gossage

-Rice

-Dawson

-Blyleven (maybe)

Veterans' Committee:

-Santo

-Marvin Miller

-Hodges

Negro League Special Election (Feb. 27th of this year):

-Buck O'Neil

-Minnie Minoso

Guest Moneyball

I don't know why people think Lee Smith should get in. His saves record will be quickly surpassed by Trevor Hoffman in the next season/season and a half.

And? Hoffman is a HOFer as-well. Check out some of Smith's IP totals in a season compared to Hoffman.

Smith

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smithle02.shtml

Hoffman

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hoffmtr01.shtml

Well, Rice's shot is gone. I really thought he was going to get in this year, eventhough I didn't necessarily agree totally with it.

Next year's class will probably be the highest profile in the past decade, and none of the next three classes are lacking in outfield talent.

I know that Rice was spectacular for a short period of time, and I know that he was the #1 offensive force for about 7 years, but if he didn't play for the Red Sox and played for, oh, say the Royals, I don't think there's such a fervor around him...afterall most of the support is from incessant pushing by journalists who covered him.

Guest Moneyball

Well, Rice's shot is gone. I really thought he was going to get in this year, eventhough I didn't necessarily agree totally with it.

Next year's class will probably be the highest profile in the past decade, and none of the next three classes are lacking in outfield talent.

I know that Rice was spectacular for a short period of time, and I know that he was the #1 offensive force for about 7 years, but if he didn't play for the Red Sox and played for, oh, say the Royals, I don't think there's such a fervor around him...afterall most of the support is from incessant pushing by journalists who covered him.

Interesting because I've heard on many occasions that Rice has cost himself votes because he was such an a**hole to the media.

Interesting because I've heard on many occasions that Rice has cost himself votes because he was such an a**hole to the media.

Yeah, that part about him being an a-hole is true, but I've read many times that Rice is being supported by more journalists than I would have believed.

IE:

(For the record, Rice's personality, which was sometimes less than sunny, didn't enter into the equation. Nor, of course, should it have. The people who covered Rice on a regular basis during his playing career, and thus were most often exposed to his occasional churlishness, have been his most consistent supporters.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2268868

Sutters Career:

Year	Team	G	W	L	SV	ERA	IP	ER	K
76-80	CHC	300	32	30	133	2.20	493	121	494
81-84	STL	249	26	30	127	2.72	396.2	120	259
85-88	ATL	112	9	11	40	4.56	152.1	77	118

I heard that they let him decide. He's still a little mad about his Cubs situation and is holding that against them, not to mention he helped win a WS for St. Louis..

Actually MLB picked it.. duh.. but I bet Sutter had a little something to say..

Hall of Famer Sutter says relievers overlooked

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 PM ET15

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bruce Sutter, the newest member of baseball's Hall of Fame, says recognition of the importance of relief pitchers has been long overdue.

"We're on the line every day," he told a news conference in New York on Wednesday, the day after becoming only the fourth reliever to be elected to the Hall of Fame.

"The game is set up to get to us. It's a very important position," he added.

Sutter said there were other relievers that belonged in the Hall of Fame besides his predecessors Rollie Fingers, Dennis Eckersley and knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm,

"I wish I was going in with Lee Smith and Goose Gossage," he said about two other great relievers who were on the ballot but failed to win enough votes.

Sutter, whose Cooperstown plaque will show him wearing a St Louis Cardinals cap, helped change the status of relievers, who are now highly prized to preserve the lead at the end of a game.

"The Cubs gave me a chance to play, signed me as a free agent who was undrafted," Sutter said. "The first day I walked into Wrigley Field (in Chicago) was probably the best day of my life," he said. "But I guess people remember me with the Cardinals winning the World Series in 1982. I think my sons remember me most as a Cardinal."

[More in URL]

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....BALL-SUTTER.xml

Sutter to wear Cards cap on Hall plaque

Reliever also played for Cubs and Braves in career

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

? 2006 Hall of Famer Bruce Sutter: 350K

? Sutter's HOF press conference

? Leach on what Sutter means to Cards fans

? After 13 years, Sutter a Hall of Famer

? Hall of Fame calls on pioneering Sutter

NEW YORK -- Bruce Sutter will enter the National Baseball Hall of Fame on July 30 with the interlocking S, T and L of the St. Louis Cardinals on his cap, an official of the shrine in Cooperstown, N.Y., said on Wednesday.

"My sons remember me most as a Cardinal," Sutter said. "My one son is 26 years old and I don't think he's ever seen me without a beard. It's not as black as it used to be, but it's still there."

Sutter's career hit its zenith, though, when he helped the Cardinals defeat the Brewers in Game 7 of the 1982 World Series. Sutter pitched two hitless, shutout innings to earn his second save of the series and punched out Brewers center fielder Gorman Thomas to give the Cardinals their last World Series title.

"My family identifies with me throwing that last pitch to Gorman Thomas," Sutter said. "I'm certainly thankful for what the Cubs did for me. I respect their organization. It's the same way with the Atlanta Braves, an awfully fine organization. I respect everybody who's down there and that's still where I live today. But the Cardinals represent the best years of my career."

[More in URL]