Admin Beinfest to Nationals?

Fishfan79

Interesting how he can be the frontrunner for a job when the team doesn't even have an owner.

Reports by the prospective owners.

We could do better, we could do worse. I don't know if Admin would leave though. Might depend on the commitment his new employer would give him towards security, control and resources among other things, but that's true for every job.

The ownership derby for the Nationals has been narrowed to the Fred Malek group and Jeff Smulyan, according to sources close to the sale process. Marlins GM Admin Beinfest has emerged as a top candidate to become the Nationals' next general manager.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...11-majors_x.htm

Although I'd hate to see Beinfest leave...things wouldn't be so bad as long as the Marlins were able to hire Mike Hill as his replacemnet. Not to mention that would open the door for Ramp to be Assistant GM.

:thumbup

Amazing, he detroys the team, then leaves to a contender can we say? I hope if their is a next GM, he can do a better job than Beinfest so we could all say good riddance!

None of what happened this offseason was Beinfest's fault, it was Loria and Samson's doing. Beinfest did a fine job working with the resources he had.

Foremost, the Nats have to get a stadium lease. The "new" proposal by Cropp & Co is just the same ol' same ol' - let DC have control of all parameters of the construction, but MLB has to cover all over-runs caused by the DC govt incompetence.

It's looking more and more like arbitration will have DC pay a penalty, and MLB moves the team elsewhere and starts all over. At it stands today, DC is more likely to lose a franchise than we are.

The ownership derby for the Nationals has been narrowed to the Fred Malek group and Jeff Smulyan, according to sources close to the sale process. Marlins GM Admin Beinfest has emerged as a top candidate to become the Nationals' next general manager.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...11-majors_x.htm

Although I'd hate to see Beinfest leave...things wouldn't be so bad as long as the Marlins were able to hire Mike Hill as his replacemnet. Not to mention that would open the door for Ramp to be Assistant GM.

If Ramp was Assistant GM then you know we would be having Willingham for his entire career :)

Guest markotsay7

Amazing, he detroys the team, then leaves to a contender can we say? I hope if their is a next GM, he can do a better job than Beinfest so we could all say good riddance!

:blink:

Have you...paid attention?

The general manager is given a budget to work with. It isn't like Beinfest woke up one day and said "Man, I'm sick of this winning crap. Imma git me some prospects!" He didn't "detroy" [sic] the team, even other GMs have said this winter what an amazing job he did on the returns he got. We have half of the Mets' top 10 prospects; arguably one of the best shortstop prospects in baseball; a plethora of young pitching that eventually will be moved to get an important piece for our club. He built the 03 championship team through unconventional things like the Hampton trade. Compare the talent we got this firesale with that which we got in 98. Where are you, Oscar Henriquez and Manuel Barrios? I don't know, but I know where Moises Alou is. How about Blaine Mull for Jeff Conine? Joe Fontenot and Mike Villano for Robb Nen? Rafael Medina? The only talent we got out of that firesale was Burnett and Lee. We got guys that I not only don't know of now, except in the context of these trades, I'd never heard of them back then either. Every prospect we got in this firesale has been a top-ranked prospect that most people in the baseball world have heard of. If Beinfest leaves and you say "good riddance" you'll see what will happen to the Nationals and to us. If they're already a contender as you say, they'll bring a World Series title to the Beltway. Meanwhile, we'll be back getting guys like Jesus Martinez (Devon White).

I'm indifferent to this move, but it's a shame that it would happen now instead of at the start of the offseason when the Dodgers were rumored to be interested.

Beinfest oversaw the tear-down and inexplicably came away with lots and lots (and only) young pitching. It would have been nice had he been gone before the tear-down so our new G.M. would have handled the process of who went where and who we got a little better.

Either way, I doubt he goes to Washington, he was pretty much openly campaigning for the Dodger job and he couldn't get it.

It's looking more and more like arbitration will have DC pay a penalty, and MLB moves the team elsewhere and starts all over. At it stands today, DC is more likely to lose a franchise than we are.

It's looking cloudy, but there's a better chance of MLB staying in DC. They make a profit there and the demand to own a MLB team is driving team sales prices up by the day.

:blink:

Have you...paid attention?

The general manager is given a budget to work with. It isn't like Beinfest woke up one day and said "Man, I'm sick of this winning crap. Imma git me some prospects!" He didn't "detroy" [sic] the team, even other GMs have said this winter what an amazing job he did on the returns he got. We have half of the Mets' top 10 prospects; arguably one of the best shortstop prospects in baseball; a plethora of young pitching that eventually will be moved to get an important piece for our club. He built the 03 championship team through unconventional things like the Hampton trade. Compare the talent we got this firesale with that which we got in 98. Where are you, Oscar Henriquez and Manuel Barrios? I don't know, but I know where Moises Alou is. How about Blaine Mull for Jeff Conine? Joe Fontenot and Mike Villano for Robb Nen? Rafael Medina? The only talent we got out of that firesale was Burnett and Lee. We got guys that I not only don't know of now, except in the context of these trades, I'd never heard of them back then either. Every prospect we got in this firesale has been a top-ranked prospect that most people in the baseball world have heard of. If Beinfest leaves and you say "good riddance" you'll see what will happen to the Nationals and to us. If they're already a contender as you say, they'll bring a World Series title to the Beltway. Meanwhile, we'll be back getting guys like Jesus Martinez (Devon White).

Thank you. :notworthy

I'm glad to see other fans other than me put those type of "fans" in their proper place. It's the uniformed fans that make such comments and embarrass the rest of us that actually truly love a particular team. Advise to the guy who made that ridiculous comment; Go to Flushing (the toilet) Meadows in New York. There are plenty of fans and rats like you over there. Making moronic statements are the way of life for NY Mets fans. So go join them.

First of all (responding to Swift's post), nothing HAS happened.

What HAS happened is an unsourced snippet has appeared in a "chatter" column by of all people Bob Nightengale, one of the most rabid anti-Marlins columnists around.

Frankly, I think it would be surprising if Beinfest wasn't someone whose name didn't come up in a team's search for a quality GM.

At least at this point, this is much to do about nothing. That is not to say that at some point after Beinfest's contract is over, he may not move on to another team, but for the foreseeable future, since he's signed through 2007 and just got a promotion, there's minimal chance he would be moving to DC.

None of what happened this offseason was Beinfest's fault, it was Loria and Samson's doing. Beinfest did a fine job working with the resources he had.

true that

Beinfest deserves a lot of credit for the prospects we got, its not his fault ownership had to do a "market correction"

I thought the Lerner group(led by Stan Kasten) was in this whole mix as well..

From what I heard, as of last week they were the frontrunners

That's what I thought too. The Lerners was lavishing praise from all sides and was thought to be doing everything that was asked of them. The local media supported Malek, but he was privately railing against another potential owner (Smulyan). Smulyan has the support of a key MLB Central Committee member, Reinsdorf, and the national media, but it was when he was suggested as the front-runner that the Mayor backed off his support for the ballpark.

true that

Beinfest deserves a lot of credit for the prospects we got, its not his fault ownership had to do a "market correction"

Well, in my view, one of the reasons the "market correction" was made necessary and well timed is the poor success of the farm system in developing and maintaining good prospects under Beinfest's watch.

With some good comes some bad and vice-versa. Both Beinfest's fans and critics should recognize that.

Excuse me, I am a REAL fan, I am not from New York, I am making a statement based on what's going on here. This team needs Beinfest right now, and he is jumping ship to a team working with a higher salary, same thing Dombroski did when he left to the Tigers. I never hated any of the moves he made, but leaving now without fixing what is going on, once again he has a chance to prove himself as one of the best GMs in baseball, and he is looking to walkout on us when we need him the most. Not like this USA Today rumor is true anyway, watch all this be chit chat. How many games have you guys gone to lately anyways? Were you there when the Marlins drafted shortstop of the future Josh Booty (laughable)? Were you there when Todd Dunwoody was patrolling centerfield? Brian Meadows was the ace, El Gato Flaco when he gave up homer after homer, When this team lost over 100 games (I sat and watched!) Alex Fernandez (when he hung it up, when the Marlins were trying to deal him to the Padres)? Don't tell me am no real fan, and don't tell me what TYPE of fan I am, I go way back with this team from the Chuck Carr days, I support this damn team so I have every right to say what I feel, I know guys like Markkotsay7 been here for awhile cause I have been here since Marlinsbaseball.com started with differ names changing them all the time, but Positive hype who the heck are you? Well anyways, not looking for an argument, just trying to put my point accross. I will be there on opening day, through thick and thin like always, QUESTIONS ARE, will you?!? We'll see....

THE TITLE FOR THIS FORUM IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!

Zo, I appreciate your passion but at this point you're are really getting all worked up over nothing. That isn't to say Benifest may not leave at some point, you're getting way ahead of yourself.

A few points to consider. Dombrowski left to become PRESIDENT of the Detroit Tigers, it was NOT a lateral move. Second, until new ownership is in place in DC, I honestly doubt anyone of merit (and I'm suggesting that defines Admin Beinfest) would want to go there knowing that when the new ownership issue is settled, that group will without doubt want to pick their own GM and management team. At this point, no one knows what is going to happen in Washington. Third and lastly, as I mentioned above, Beinfest is under contract to the Florida Marlins through the 2007 season.

Thanks Marlinsfan2003, I enjoy reading your posts... I just didn't like the way the other guys handled it, when they know they will post worst things about Beinfest once he is gone, I am not just a fan of "ONE PERSON", I am a fan of the Florida Marlins, I don't fall in love with the people wearing the uniform unlike some of these guys here (APPLYS to some not ALL). I just wanted them to know what was up, they mis-understood my post, I meant : If Beinfest leaves we are doomed, so I hope if he does leave and we get another GM he does a better job so we have the LUXURY of saying good riddance, never said his departure was likely, the rest of the things were un-called for, since I for one think that Beinfest added promising pieces to our future, and knew just what moves to make, like the one just in time for that magical season that brought us Juan Pierre. I still question why we traded Brad Penny to the Dodgers, was never a fan of that deal, but overall he did an A- job. If Beinfest leaves he will be missed. Don't have, and never will have something against him, he owes us nothing, he paid his dues, but it would still suck if he abondoned us NOW.

It's been reported in Sports Weekly that when the Nationals finally get sold that Beinfest could leave the Marlins and take over the Nationals. That would be quite a blast to the Marlins re-building plan I would think. I'm already nervous with the fact that the Marlins will be very young and their manager has never managed a major or minor league game anywhere in his life. It's possible that Girardi will be over his head just as much as the players are.

It's been reported in Sports Weekly that when the Nationals finally get sold that Beinfest could leave the Marlins and take over the Nationals. That would be quite a blast to the Marlins re-building plan I would think. I'm already nervous with the fact that the Marlins will be very young and their manager has never managed a major or minor league game anywhere in his life. It's possible that Girardi will be over his head just as much as the players are.

Im confident that Mike Hill could step in and do a fine job

Im confident that Mike Hill could step in and do a fine job