He made good on his word..............

knglover

VIERA, Fla. -- Alfonso Soriano refused to play the outfield for the Washington Nationals in what was supposed to be his spring training debut Monday night, and general manager Jim Bowden said his biggest offseason acquisition will go on the disqualified list if he doesn't agree to switch positions this week.

"The player refused to take the field, which we believe is a violation of his contract," Bowden said.

Soriano, an All-Star second baseman, was listed as batting leadoff and playing left field on a lineup sheet posted in the Nationals' clubhouse before Monday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

But when the Nationals took the field in the top of the first, Soriano wasn't there. Brandon Watson replaced him in the lineup, playing center field, and Ryan Church shifted from center to left.

The Nationals already have an All-Star second baseman in Jose Vidro, so they told Soriano they want him to move to the outfield, and he indicated he doesn't want to do that. But Monday provided his most concrete -- and visible -- objection.

When Soriano first reported to camp last month, the question of whether he would accept the switch was left open until his return from the World Baseball Classic.

Soriano played for the Dominican Republic, which was eliminated in the tournament semifinals Saturday. He joined the Nationals on Monday and worked out with teammates in the afternoon, but he wouldn't speak to reporters.

The Nationals acquired Soriano, a four-time All-Star at second base, from Texas in a December trade that sent outfielders Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge and pitcher Armando Galarraga to the Rangers. After the deal, Washington made it clear that Vidro would keep his spot at second; Soriano made it clear that he wasn't happy.

Soriano lost his arbitration case this winter and is due to be paid $10 million this season, still a record for the highest salary awarded in arbitration.

The Nationals are off Tuesday, then travel to play the St. Louis Cardinals in Jupiter on Wednesday. If Soriano refuses to play in that game and again at home against the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday, the Nationals will take action.

"We told him if we get to Thursday, and he refuses to play left field, we told him at that point we will request that the commissioner's office place him on the disqualified list, at that time -- no pay, no service time," Bowden said.

"If he refuses to play and goes home, and the commissioner's office accepts our request to place him on the disqualified list, then at that point, if he were to sit out this year, he would not be a free agent, he would stay our property because his service time would stay the same."

Nationals manager Frank Robinson sat down privately with Soriano for 20 minutes before the game Monday to explain the team's position.

"If he's going to play here, he's going to have to be out in left field," Robinson said. "He said he's ready to play, he needs to play, he's ready for the season, and I penciled him in the lineup in left field."

Robinson said the meeting with Soriano was civil, but the player's position was clear.

"He's very sensitive, and he has a mind-set," Robinson said. "He lets you know how he feels."

Trading Soriano, already a possibility, becomes more likely now -- with less than two weeks remaining before Opening Day.

"He's going to play left field. He needs to be out there now the next couple of weeks to play, and if he's not going to play for us, we need to know so we can go forward," Bowden said. "We obviously will field offers, but we're not going to give the player away. If we can make a deal that makes sense, we will."

While I feel bad in some ways for Soriano, he must know that it is for the team. No man is above the team and I have to respect Bowden for that.

I love the last paragraph that says no play, no pay! I also have to respect him for saying that they wouldnt just give him away. Good job Jim!!!

Ya, if I was the worst defensive 2B in the modern area I'd refuse to help the team by moving to.

What an arrogant jerk.

To put it in terms you can understand...

Just think if you had to move from being a sloppy drunk on the weekends to the designated driver, without any say in the matter.

Ya, if I was the worst defensive 2B in the modern area I'd refuse to help the team by moving to.

What an arrogant jerk.

Just think if you had to move from being a sloppy drunk on the weekends to the designated driver, without any say in the matter.

I'm sure if the sloppy drunk was paid $10 million dollars, he would have no problem at all being a designated driver on the weekends.

What an arrogant jerk.

I'm sure if the sloppy drunk was paid $10 million dollars, he would have no problem at all being a designated driver on the weekends.

Maybe not.

What an arrogant jerk.

not if he was getting that being the sloppy drunk already

Guest Juanky

Bingo.

This is all Bowden's fault, for acquiring a second baseman (when he already had an all star incumbent) and just assuming he'd move without even discussing it with him. Especially when he dealt away players he could actually use in LF.

What an arrogant jerk.

not if he was getting that being the sloppy drunk already

touche.

As I said before, I do feel a little bad for Soriano because no one really likes being told they aren't good enough for something. However, at the same time I feel like Bowden, Whom I kinda like, made this trade to improve the team without ever thinking of the individual players feelings. For this I applaud him, because I am really finding it hard to root any single players anymore. This is exactly what happens when a GM steps up and says I am not appeasing a single player just to make him happy. I am here to win games. Play here with us or start packing. Frankly I think sports would be alot more fun if more GMs would follow suit.

Lets remember two things here in closing.

1. Soriano is refusing to play a GAME which he is getting paid 10 million dollars to play. Any of us would gladly play for .00001% of that. I know I would.

2. Bowden is not a bad guy for making this trade. He was doing his job, which is to improve his team. He isn't refusing to that. While I feel bad for Soriano to some extent, I refer myself back to the first thing to remember. Soriano is a special player, that I have know doubt. That is why I have no animosity towards Bowden for making this trade.

Guest Juanky

But, in trading for a player that isn't going to play the position that you need improvement, you're actually hurting your team because you gave up three solid players for someone who at this moment seems to be willing never to dress in your uniform.

That is not making your team better.

What an arrogant jerk.

Not if that sloppy drunk has enough money already to live a comfortable life.

I don't know. I kind of respect what Soriano is doing. To stan up for himself. To not let himself be backed into a corner by an abusive management who didn't ask him, heck, didn't even tell him (Bowden announced to the press before talking to Soriano) and has used the media against him.

While many fans who'd give up anything to play a single inning to play baseball will crucify him, if Soriano follows through and voluntarily misses games to prove his point (that he is not one to be disrespected), good for him. Good for baseball. Good for humanity. Let's stop worshiping athletes simply for being athletes. They're human beings very similar to us, with their own dreams and fears. With their own attitudes. With their own faults. It frustrates me when a player who is a deadbeat dad or rapist or drunk driver is commended for his intangibles or clubhouse presence or character or anything other than his play on the field because he hits 30 homeruns a year and smiles into the camera.

And it's not like Jose Vidro's a gold glover anyway. Soriano very well could imagine himself as the better defender of the two, and he wouldn't be too far off. Vidro's basically the Mike Lowell at second base. Absolutly no range but steady hands.

Nor would I say Soriano was an improvement over what had been trading. It just depends on how you want your production. Flashy offense or steady offense and defense. We all know what P.T. Bowden wanted.

I agree with knglover, except for one thing. I don't feel bad for Soriano at all. I know we've all discussed this before, and everyone thinks Soriano is not at fault here. However, the main argument everyone has is that in the long run, it hurts his chances of cashing in at the end of the season if he moves to the OF. This is what I hate about modern day baseball fans. I like to consider myself an old school fan, who cares more about the name on the front of the jersey. Soriano is putting his wallet in front of the team...

You know what? Sure it sucks that they didn't ask him before trading for him. But the fact of the matter is, he's a professional baseball player who is getting paid millions of dollars to do something he supposedly loves. And as I've said before, the transition from 2b to the OF is not that difficult. If it were the other way around, I'd understand. I've played OF and 2b, and learning the OF is much easier.

I didn't hear Chipper Jones complain when the Braves got Vinny Castilla. A-Rod moved to 3b for the Yanks.... Players change positions. The fact that he won't even consider it is ridiculous. Bottom line, he's a selfish arrogant jerk who I have lost all respect for.

like said above, soriano said way before the trade that he is not going to play outfield so how was this news to the team. he said i will not play outfield,how much more clear can u get than that....also he has an all-star already playing there. if i were soriano i'd do the same thing......

like said above, soriano said way before the trade that he is not going to play outfield so how was this news to the team. he said i will not play outfield,how much more clear can u get than that....also he has an all-star already playing there. if i were soriano i'd do the same thing......

Alright.. I'm a Systems Analyst. I'm gonna go into work tomorrow and say "Any new systems that this company may be looking into writing, I'm not going to support. I'm saying it now, so it's not a surprise to anyone." I guess that would be reasonable to you, right? I've gone through re-orgs at work, where I have to take on additional responsibilities without much say in it. Do I complain? No.. I do what I know I have to do. If it means learning a new system to support, I learn it and do the best job that I can.

And with the whole thing about Soriano not being told in advance, I just read the article on MLB.COM. What they are saying is that the Rangers did not allow the Nats to talk to him during the discussions. Not that I think it matters, but at least they made an attempt.

And I have to reiterate one thing... He has not been asked to now play for the Boston Celtics. He's not being asked to play a completely different sport that he is new to. He is simply being asked to play the outfield. At least try it out. If it's not working out, then come out and say "I'm not feeling comfortable out there." Make a friggin effort.... The fact that he won't even consider it, is what gets me the most.