3/29 Marlins vs Cardinals

With Olsen being sent down, why do they keep using Josh Johnson in relief? I would think the rotation is set at Willis, Mitre, Moehler, Vargas, and Johnson....

Are we certain that Olsen got sent down? That baffles me because from what I have seen he is one of our better pitchers.

With Olsen being sent down, why do they keep using Josh Johnson in relief? I would think the rotation is set at Willis, Mitre, Moehler, Vargas, and Johnson....

well they've said that the schedule is set up so that they really won't require a 5th starter for a couple of weeks.

so they won't use Johnson for a while anyway, at least as a starter. might as well give him some work.

So it'll just be Willis-Mitre-Moehler-Vargas probably twice through the rotation before they need a 5th. (now why they'd use both Mitre & Moehler twice before using Olsen or Johnson at all is another question....)

Olsen will begin the season in the minors because of early-season offdays but is scheduled to join the rotation and make his season debut April 15.

Olsen had been battling with right-hander Josh Johnson for the fifth starting spot. Johnson has made the team in the bullpen.

OK.. Olsen has been named the 5th starter... There's an article on the official site about it, but here's the piece about Olsen..

The final move is a bit tricky, and it doesn't totally reflect the club's intentions. Left-hander Scott Olsen was optioned to Triple-A Albuquerque. However, his Minor League stint will be a brief one, because manager Joe Girardi announced Olsen will be the Marlins' fifth starter.

Due to two early off-days, the Marlins are going with a four-man rotation until April 15, when they take on the Nationals in Miami. Olsen will throw a simulated game for Albuquerque on April 5, and he will start for the Isotopes on April 10 at Omaha.

The plan for now is to bring Olsen back to the Marlins shortly after the April 10 outing to get him ready for April 15.

Florida up 6 - 4

Olsen will begin the season in the minors because of early-season offdays but is scheduled to join the rotation and make his season debut April 15.

Olsen had been battling with right-hander Josh Johnson for the fifth starting spot. Johnson has made the team in the bullpen.

Thanks for the update. Now that makes sense.

I wonder who they'll be hanging onto in relief for 10 days and be sent down when Olsen joins the team. Martinez??

Sounds like a logical choice I spose. Give him a brief audition in very low pressure situations to see how his reportedly good stuff works against major leaguers. Then send him down to the AA pen for full season's work closing in high pressure situations. Maybe that's the plan.

JW has been carrying "hammer" for years.

Maybe Olivo will be the "reliever" that is sent down in 10 days. I still do not see his contribution to the squad. Is he "Dontrelle's" catcher? I know DW threw to MT last year. He and JW really hve not had too much of a chance to work together. But, like most #1's, Dontrelle probably gets who he wants catching him. I hope JW doesn't percieve this negatively; he has earned the opening day spot behind the dish!!

I was at the game. It was nice to see JJ closing out the game. :thumbup

I think I saw you. Were you sitting on the third base side second deck?

Im pretty sure it was you. I didnt want to seem like a psycho and be like 'Are you Holly from MB.com'. LOL

:lol Yea that was probably me. I was wearing a teal shirt and my hair was down.

Im pretty sure it was you. I didnt want to seem like a psycho and be like 'Are you Holly from MB.com'. LOL

Yeah I was pretty sure it was you. I didnt want you to treat me like that french dude in your class. :lol J/K

It was a great day for a ball game. I just couldnt stand all the Cardinals fans, even though it was their home game.

Yeah I was pretty sure it was you. I didnt want you to treat me like that french dude in your class. :lol J/K

It was a great day for a ball game. I just couldnt stand all the Cardinals fans, even though it was their home game.

It was probably me because I was the only person with a teal shirt on :lol . Did you sit by the 3rd base side near me?

Yea, there were tons of Cards fans there but atleast we shut them up at the end of the game :D