Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vargas Last 8 Starts

Featured Replies

41.2 IP

55 HA

28 ER

17 BB

28 K

 

6.05 ERA

 

I think it's safe to say the league has figured him out.

 

And I should be clear I'm not calling for him to be sent down or anything, but it should be interesting to see if the kid can adjust and remedy his problems soon. Because what he's doing isn't working.

Vargas' problems tonight were more due to lack of control.

 

Last season's drop-off was attributed more to a tired arm.

 

Let's give him a few more starts to see if his control sharpens.

Called up in the middle of summer to a Florida based team. Played college ball in California. Moved through an eastcoast based system, once again in summer. Spent a good spring in sunny Florida.

 

First game of the season in New York in the first week of April, chilly weather.

 

I would attribute some of his late season dropoff to this as well.

 

It's hard to get climatized, espicially for a guy who's spent the majory of his career in at least warm environments.

 

He'll still be a stud, look for him to start getting incredibly nasty by the middle of May.

vargas needs to make adjustments. he didn't have his control tonight and got hit hard..he's a good pitcher, he'll have a good year

  • Author

Hugg does that include last season's starts or spring training?

 

because wow.... that surprised me.

 

 

Last season's starts.

This time last year he was starting for the Hoppers...pretty big adjustment and pretty difficult for anyone to make. It does worry me that we may have pushed him too quickly, but hoepfully he can fix whatever is wrong and turn it around in his next couple starts.

  • Author

These starters better get with it. I am tired of all these bad starts. :D

 

 

:o

 

Holly has put her foot down.

 

Shape up or ship out, guys.

These starters better get with it. I am tired of all these bad starts. :D

 

 

:o

 

Holly has put her foot down.

 

Shape up or ship out, guys.

 

Thats right. I ran to my car and turned on the radio and all I heard was 9-3 Mets. I had steam coming from my ears. I was MAD.

I wonder if the team hasn't rushed his development...

 

I mean, he spent less than a year in the minors before getting called up. His highest level was AA, where he started like 2 games.

I watched the game on the dish he had brought his New wife to see him start he took the wrong train and got lost before the game started and showed up late to the staduim maybe he was nervous let see how he when he plays at home with the crowd cheering him.

I noticed he was starting a very high number of counts with curveballs on the right side of the plate (inside half to RH and outside half to LH). Though they were very often called for strikes, I wonder if this was a sign that he felt the hitters were one step ahead of him?

I'm still not sold on Vargas yet. True, he did pitch very well at the start of his ML time last year, but the dropoff might be an indicator of the level of stuff he has. Even though Olsen wasn't quite as succesful, I think he will be the longterm guy to stick. In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't make the trade for Gathwright.

Mets have an awesome lineup.

 

Vargas has 3rd starter ceiling at the highest, and more reasonably 4th starter potential.

Mets have an awesome lineup.

 

Vargas has 3rd starter ceiling at the highest, and more reasonably 4th starter potential.

 

 

 

I'd like to know who measures those ceilings!?

Hey...give the kid a break. It was only one start. It was New York in April and it was COLD!

Mets have an awesome lineup.

 

Vargas has 3rd starter ceiling at the highest, and more reasonably 4th starter potential.

 

i heard something interesting a few days ago......a guy said that rookie pithchers who do really well then drop off in their 2nd season isnt really a sophmore slump but more like the pitcher pitching like he really does....basicfally im saying VArgas might have overachieved and now he is pitching at his true ability...plus his early success can be attributed to being new to the league because i think the pitcher always has the edge over hitters whove never seen them before. with that being said i know Vargas can pitcher better than last night.

I didn't really get to see much of last night's game, but in the spring, Vargas had good control and good movement.

 

I'm assuming that there was just one "snowball" play and everything got out of hand afterwards with the young team, especially in New York.

 

I don't think it's completely fair to compare Vargas' starts from last year to now simply because I think it was evident that the Dodgers game when McKeon let him go all nine had more of an adverse affect on his arm than anything else...plus there was that one really ugly game against the Cards to inflate some numbers.

 

His next start is at home against the Padres during the day, perhaps the extreme reversal of pressue will help him turn it around.

It's just too early to make judgments. Let's give him a few starts to see how he does.

 

 

 

 

I agree. Eventhough I am kinda getting annoyed. :nogood

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.