Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somebody tell me now Dan Uggla doesn't belong in the big leagues

Featured Replies

Its real early still but I've been wrong so far about Uggla.

 

In terms of the team for 2006 he has surpassed my expectations and the no long sleeves during the freezing night in Chi-Town was very fitting.

 

With that said.......having him bat 2nd over Hermida is completely ridiculous. Hermida has great plate discipline (yes I know he's off to a slow start) and gets on base a lot. And I dont want to hear any stats about how Uggla's OBP is higher than Hermida's. Lets compare their stats in September.

  • Author

I like Uggla in the two spot, regardless of Hermida's skillset, but in Hermida's defense, we don't how long he was troubled by his hip flexor and the problems it caused him.

 

One has to believe the injury happened long before he was DL'd and it eventually got to the point he could no longer contribute. For some reason, and I haven't gone back to searched through old news stories to verify it, it seems to me I read something, or the radio or tv guys made a passing mention of it during spring training.

 

But as long as Ramirez and Uggla at the top of the lineup continue to get on base and are productive, I don't see any reason to change it upon Hermida's return. In my mind, batting him either third (dropping Miggy into the cleanup spot) or after Willingham (fifth) could be advantageous. But then again Girardi hasn't called lately seeking my advice so I guess I'll have to wait along with everyone else to see how this plays itself out.

I like Uggla in the two spot, regardless of Hermida's skillset, but in Hermida's defense, we don't how long he was troubled by his hip flexor and the problems it caused him.

 

One has to believe the injury happened long before he was DL'd and it eventually got to the point he could no longer contribute. For some reason, and I haven't gone back to searched through old news stories to verify it, it seems to me I read something, or the radio or tv guys made a passing mention of it during spring training.

 

But as long as Ramirez and Uggla at the top of the lineup continue to get on base and are productive, I don't see any reason to change it upon Hermida's return. In my mind, batting him either third (dropping Miggy into the cleanup spot) or after Willingham (fifth) could be advantageous. But then again Girardi hasn't called lately seeking my advice so I guess I'll have to wait along with everyone else to see how this plays itself out.

 

 

I wouldn't mind Hermy in the three hole...I sure don't want him batting next to Jacobs as having the two lefties back-to-back doesn't pose well for late inning AB's (some teams do have quality LHP's in their bullpens).

 

In the perfect world...

 

HanRam

Uggz

Hermida

Cabs

Jake

Willy

Olivo

CF

He's really impressed me and definitely one of those guys you want to succeed. I still don't see him as the long-term solution to 2B, but, as MLou said, he's proving to be a capable stopgap. His plate eye so far makes me think his current line is somewhat sustainable minus about 10-15 points in each category.

With Hermida's inconsistencies, no way I move Cabs out of that 3 spot. I want to max Cabrera's AB's per game.

and I definitely want Hermida back in the 2-hole. He'll get on base much more, has better offensive skills, and should be a better basestealer, although the hip may limit his attempts.

Somebody tell me now the whole team doesn't belong in the big leagues

 

So far, its been a disaster.

 

 

We have no CF and our bullpen is a clown show. But the rest of the set is legit MLB material. We'd be around .500 of the BP didn't suck.

Somebody tell me now the whole team doesn't belong in the big leagues

 

shut up

and I definitely want Hermida back in the 2-hole. He'll get on base much more, has better offensive skills, and should be a better basestealer, although the hip may limit his attempts.

 

No doubt, even without the basestealer quantity/percetange potential. I'm pretty confident Hermida will out OBP Uggla by 30-40 points, and hit for more power. Uggla, Catcher, CF should be the bottom third of the order once Hermida gets back. Maybe move Uggla to 5th as Jacobs is continuing to struggle.

Given we're less than a month into the season I think it ought to be obvious to even the most rabid naysayers that Dan Uggla has done everything one could possibly expect from a rookie second baseman.

 

By July or August he'll probably hold the record for home runs by a Marlins second baseman, he is fearless at bat and everyday plays his position better than the day before. Is he now or ever going to be the healthy Luis Castillo we saw a few years ago? Not a chance. But can he be a Mark Grudzielanek or Rich Aurilla, a guy with a multi-year career and respectable numbers, you betcha.

 

I'm glad he's a Marlin. I wonder how others feel.

 

 

I am happy on how he approaches the plate with patience, I like the way he handles the glove, seems to have a strong work ethic cause like you mentioned he gets better and better. I also kinda dig his batting stance, kinda funky eh?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.