May 2, 200620 yr They're trying to artificially create demand (see reducing seats, setting ticket prices not to be disposable, designating premium games), not be slaves to the market. You cannot create demand with a horrible product on the field. They should have lowered ticket prices for this season and gradually raise ticket prices as the product gets better. Fulanito de Tal isn't going to pay 33 dollars to sit in the infield box section to watch a bad team that might not be here in 4 years.
May 2, 200620 yr It's hard to say what their motivations are, whether this is for long-term benefit or an attempt to maintain revenues or as some suggest salt the ground, but surely an increase in attendance means very little to the bottom line and little (although, IMO, still somewhat significant) impact on their ability to get a new stadium. Increasing the number that attend games does not benefit the Marlins much, now (small share of gameday revenues) or the future (these fans still have that uncertain feeling, and are now expecting cheap tickets). Increasing the number of die-hard fans who will support the team through the tough times and good times (whom the more established franchises have many thousand of) is what the club wants and needs. Those who won't wait to buy tickets at the gate or if they bought them before, won't throw away their tickets that night when there's a cloud in the sky. By discounting prices, you're basically admitting your product sucks and fostering a sense of entitlement among consumers; not just that you want to allow the ordinary Smiths or Hernandezes come to ballpark. The Fish Tank seats are cheap and available. If you or your child want exposure to MLB baseball, you don't have to go to the ballpark and sit next to TSwift in the club seats. I'm not arguing it's worth it. That's a decision people have to make on their own. But for thosecomplaining, need to look across the other end of the table. And for those boycotting, realize your actions will only a detrimental affect on the Marlins becoming a team that can afford better than AAA talent and stay in South Florida.
May 2, 200620 yr It's hard to say what their motivations are, whether this is for long-term benefit or an attempt to maintain revenues or as some suggest salt the ground, but surely an increase in attendance means very little to the bottom line and little (although, IMO, still somewhat significant) impact on their ability to get a new stadium. Increasing the number that attend games does not benefit the Marlins much, now (small share of gameday revenues) or the future (these fans still have that uncertain feeling, and are now expecting cheap tickets). Increasing the number of die-hard fans who will support the team through the tough times and good times (whom the more established franchises have many thousand of) is what the club wants and needs. Those who won't wait to buy tickets at the gate or if they bought them before, won't throw away their tickets that night when there's a cloud in the sky. And yet the club treats its season ticket holder like sh*t. By discounting prices, you're basically admitting your product sucks and fostering a sense of entitlement among consumers; not just that you want to allow the ordinary Smiths or Hernandezes come to ballpark. The Fish Tank seats are cheap and available. If you or your child want exposure to MLB baseball, you don't have to go to the ballpark and sit next to TSwift in the club seats. I'm not arguing it's worth it. That's a decision people have to make on their own. But for those boycotting, realize your actions will only a detrimental affect on the Marlins becoming a team that can afford better than AAA talent and stay in South Florida. :lol :lol :lol
May 2, 200620 yr I will tell you right now. I am going to go to at least 1 of the Cubs-Marlins games (even if I have to call in sick to work)...I am trying to go Monday, but I want to go Wednesday afternoon. I will go myself if I have to, just to be there. I still care, and low attendence is not stopping me.
May 2, 200620 yr Your principles are not as finely tuned to the Marlins. Exposing new fans is not a primary motive for a team with an uncertain future and an unattractive ballpark.
May 2, 200620 yr Talking about ticket prices. It isn't even that sometimes. I have seen family/friends get tickets to great seats as a gift and they say they won't go to see a team like this and on top of that pay a high price for parking. Granted, they aren't huge fans but they are baseball fans. But they don't even want to pay parking to see this team play. I mean it is depressing. The only people going are true fans and I mean TRUE fans.
May 2, 200620 yr Other teams' attendance will turn around; the Marlins attendance will not. True the Marlins will not this year. But the others -- well its been 4 years since Atlanta has even sold-out a playoff game, and in Detroit, that is abysmal -- and who knows if it will get better. I think this is an overall reaction to higher ticket prices / higher gas prices -- it could be that we have hit the crescent and are now on the downside economically for baseball.....sort of an arbiter of things to come in the overall economy. Baseball is the 1st thing many of us could do without if we are tightening the belt. They're trying to artificially create demand (see reducing seats, setting ticket prices not to be disposable, designating premium games), not be slaves to the market. Boy that strategy is really working
May 2, 200620 yr lets see last year we averaged 22,872 fans/per game with 67 million dollar payroll, that equals 341 fans/per game per million spent. Now we have 15 million payroll. 15 x 341 = 5,120 fans per game There has been a market correction for attendance as well. Take note Samson ONE WORD PORTLAND
May 2, 200620 yr Baseball is the 1st thing many of us could do without if we are tightening the belt. Not I. From 01-04, I gave up movies, concerts and my health to travel up and down the east coast watching baseball games. lets see last year we averaged 22,872 fans/per game with 67 million dollar payroll, that equals 341 fans/per game per million spent. Now we have 15 million payroll. 15 x 341 = 5,120 fans per game There has been a market correction for attendance as well. Take note Samson ONE WORD PORTLAND Annoying
May 2, 200620 yr they are giving away marlins tickets on Big 105.9...lets see how long till caller 13
May 2, 200620 yr On the post game show on 560, they said it was the fewest amount of people at a Marlins game since a 2002 game against the Expos. I actually remember going to that game. You could literally count the fans in the stands. Sections had 4 or 5 people in them all together in places. I feel bad for the players, that's about it. Loria&Co knew what they were getting into... I think I was at that game too, wasn't it a double-header?
May 2, 200620 yr they are giving away marlins tickets on Big 105.9...lets see how long till caller 13 I wonder if they ever got 13 calls :lol :lol :lol
May 2, 200620 yr By the way, last nights crowd looked like a blockbuster compared to what I see for tonight. There can't be more than 500 people at the start of the game.
May 3, 200620 yr By the way, last nights crowd looked like a blockbuster compared to what I see for tonight. There can't be more than 500 people at the start of the game. This could be less than the 2002 Expos game. It sure looks like it.
May 3, 200620 yr I said it before and I'll say it again. FO has a plan...Tear up team...demonstrate S. Florida is a poor baseball market and MOVE!!! If the team was held together for the most part; there would be an avg of 20 - 25k fans per game. It would be difficult to convince MLB that moving the fish with this type of support is a resonable move. NOTICE how over the past few years attendance grew. FO could not afford to let THAT happen. For the Record: I use to enjoy going to games last year and having tons of Marlin fans screaming for their team. That fun is now gone. Park feels hugh and empty
May 3, 200620 yr I said it before and I'll say it again. FO has a plan...Tear up team...demonstrate S. Florida is a poor baseball market and MOVE!!! If the team was held together for the most part; there would be an avg of 20 - 25k fans per game. It would be difficult to convince MLB that moving the fish with this type of support is a resonable move. NOTICE how over the past few years attendance grew. FO could not afford to let THAT happen. Hmmmmm, are you for real or being sarcastic ? Cuz I agree with you.
May 3, 200620 yr I said it before and I'll say it again. FO has a plan...Tear up team...demonstrate S. Florida is a poor baseball market and MOVE!!! If the team was held together for the most part; there would be an avg of 20 - 25k fans per game. It would be difficult to convince MLB that moving the fish with this type of support is a resonable move. NOTICE how over the past few years attendance grew. FO could not afford to let THAT happen. Hmmmmm, are you for real or being sarcastic ? Cuz I agree with you. I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.
May 3, 200620 yr I said it before and I'll say it again. FO has a plan...Tear up team...demonstrate S. Florida is a poor baseball market and MOVE!!! If the team was held together for the most part; there would be an avg of 20 - 25k fans per game. It would be difficult to convince MLB that moving the fish with this type of support is a resonable move. NOTICE how over the past few years attendance grew. FO could not afford to let THAT happen. Hmmmmm, are you for real or being sarcastic ? Cuz I agree with you. Trust me! I am just taking an educated guess...but I seriously believe this is exactly what's going on. Of course many here will disagree with me (nothing new) if you saw my April prediction; but I would not brush this theory off.
May 3, 200620 yr The Marlins FO were more interested in sticking it to the South Florida politicos than consciously alienating the fan base. I'm sure they rationalized that since fans wouldn't come out in droves with a $65M payroll that attendance wouldn't be substantially lower with any payroll. Clearly they misjudged the Florida fan base. There are just way too many options for people to spend their entertainment dollars than to pay a lot to watch a less than mediocre team.
May 3, 200620 yr I said it before and I'll say it again. FO has a plan...Tear up team...demonstrate S. Florida is a poor baseball market and MOVE!!! No need. Already done. Although it's pretty much irrevalent since there's not a profitable stadium.
May 3, 200620 yr If they lowered tickets prices not only would fans come back, but they'll grow attached to this team. For an affordable price they'll all come, as the team grows they won't mind paying a little more each year as expectations get higher, but it looks to me like it's time to start charging 45% less for tickets, and bringing that fish tank price back down to 2 dollars. Like they said in my favorite movie: BUILd IT AND THEY'LL COME, LOL.
May 3, 200620 yr I would go to more games if the parking was cheaper. but that's out of their hands anyhow...good ole Wayne has his money grubbing hands on that.
May 3, 200620 yr I would go to more games if the parking was cheaper. but that's out of their hands anyhow...good ole Wayne has his money grubbing hands on that. Let's pretend that they cut the price of parking 50%. You'd be letting $5 stand between you and the Marlins. Think about that.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.