Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

omg guys do u see that crowd

Featured Replies

I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.

 

 

Then how is this abomination playing on the field right now in their interests ?

 

I'm telling you that if you think a new stadium will be the panacea for this team you are nutz. It will help, but it won't be the cure. Attendance will increase for the first few games, but after the novelty of the new stadium wears off we'll be left with our $ 15 million AAA team and losses piling up in a shiny new ballpark, with Loria laughing all the way to the bank.

 

 

THIS IS CRAZY. Goes to show we had plenty of band-wagon fans.

 

 

Why are they bandwagon fans ? If we go blindly to games, what incentive does the FO have to ever make the team better ?

I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.

 

 

Then how is this abomination playing on the field right now in their interests ?

 

I'm telling you that if you think a new stadium will be the panacea for this team you are nutz. It will help, but it won't be the cure. Attendance will increase for the first few games, but after the novelty of the new stadium wears off we'll be left with our $ 15 million AAA team and losses piling up in a shiny new ballpark, with Loria laughing all the way to the bank.

The ballpark will not be done until about 2010, at the earliest. This will be one of the best teams in the league for 15-25 million. By that time, he can pick up some nice free agents and this team will be contending in their new stadium.

 

Honestly, can you guys not see how this whole fire sale thing is really the best thing a baseball team can do in the long run? If they keep that team together, they lose money, and they have almost no shot of making the playoffs. Now, with this team, they can actually gain money, and in 3 or 4 years, they will be contending again. I'd much rather have this than the Royal, Pirates, Rockies, or Mariners, or any other team who is rebuilding with old, no upside, expensive talent.

I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.

 

 

Then how is this abomination playing on the field right now in their interests ?

 

I'm telling you that if you think a new stadium will be the panacea for this team you are nutz. It will help, but it won't be the cure. Attendance will increase for the first few games, but after the novelty of the new stadium wears off we'll be left with our $ 15 million AAA team and losses piling up in a shiny new ballpark, with Loria laughing all the way to the bank.

 

 

Man you just don't get it. Loria and company basically said "f*** this year." I seriously doubt they really care how many or how few come to these games. They are going to bring in a profit no matter what. Fact is Miami follows winners. That's the bottom line. He knows that. When they get their new stadium deal in place to the payroll will steadily increase. The team will get better and begin to compete again. The fans will come back like sheep because oooooo the team is winning hurrraaay. Loria is going to make his money this year. He is going to get a stadium this year. The team will be better next year. Attendance will increase slowly but surely and peak when the new stadium opens.

I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.

 

 

Then how is this abomination playing on the field right now in their interests ?

 

I'm telling you that if you think a new stadium will be the panacea for this team you are nutz. It will help, but it won't be the cure. Attendance will increase for the first few games, but after the novelty of the new stadium wears off we'll be left with our $ 15 million AAA team and losses piling up in a shiny new ballpark, with Loria laughing all the way to the bank.

 

 

Man you just don't get it. Loria and company basically said "f*** this year." I seriously doubt they really care how many or how few come to these games. They are going to bring in a profit no matter what. Fact is Miami follows winners. That's the bottom line. He knows that. When they get their new stadium deal in place to the payroll will steadily increase. The team will get better and begin to compete again. The fans will come back like sheep because oooooo the team is winning hurrraaay. Loria is going to make his money this year. He is going to get a stadium this year. The team will be better next year. Attendance will increase slowly but surely and peak when the new stadium opens.

 

You said it much better than I did. :notworthy

I doubt that. It isn't in their best interests, as the other cities courting them are smaller markets than ours.

 

 

Then how is this abomination playing on the field right now in their interests ?

 

I'm telling you that if you think a new stadium will be the panacea for this team you are nutz. It will help, but it won't be the cure. Attendance will increase for the first few games, but after the novelty of the new stadium wears off we'll be left with our $ 15 million AAA team and losses piling up in a shiny new ballpark, with Loria laughing all the way to the bank.

 

 

Man you just don't get it. Loria and company basically said "f*** this year." I seriously doubt they really care how many or how few come to these games. They are going to bring in a profit no matter what. Fact is Miami follows winners. That's the bottom line. He knows that. When they get their new stadium deal in place to the payroll will steadily increase. The team will get better and begin to compete again. The fans will come back like sheep because oooooo the team is winning hurrraaay. Loria is going to make his money this year. He is going to get a stadium this year. The team will be better next year. Attendance will increase slowly but surely and peak when the new stadium opens.

 

You said it much better than I did. :notworthy

 

This is what I am hoping.

I honestly cannot see how it could be any other way. This is not a movie, so you can be damn sure they aren't trying to sabotage the team in order to get them to move.

Wayne controls the parking prices and the concession prices. There's not much the Marlins FO can do about this. Last game I went to a few days ago I had free tickets....good ones too.....front row founder's field. Went with my son. Still cost me $70 for parking, 1 hot dog, 1 chicken tender, 2 sodas, 3 beers(1 for the guy who gave me the free tix). Plus gas and tolls. I'll keep going as one of the few die-hard fans, but that's not exactly a cheap night out for the average baseball fan. It's not the FO fault...Wayne controls the parking and concessions. I remember going to see the AA or AAA Yankee team back in 1991-2. Used to cost $20 for the same thing. Still does at AAA games.

.

.

.

If Wayne was interested in doing the best he could do for the Marlins(he's not), he'd offer $1 hot dogs, $1 soda, $1 peanuts. $3 parking. I'm sure if that happened(it won't), the Marlins would draw at least an extra 5000-10000 people per game.

It's one thing to want to go out to the ballpark to watch a competitive game.

 

It's a whole other thing to go and constantly watch these young guys play bad baseball. Even the most avid fans won't bother to watch that.

If they lowered tickets prices not only would fans come back, but they'll grow attached to this team. For an affordable price they'll all come, as the team grows they won't mind paying a little more each year as expectations get higher, but it looks to me like it's time to start charging 45% less for tickets, and bringing that fish tank price back down to 2 dollars. Like they said in my favorite movie: BUILd IT AND THEY'LL COME, LOL.

 

No they wouldn't. And it would only make the investment of the Marlins ticket and the fans relationship with the team even more disposable. Did you see the complaints and many who agreed with them in 2005 as both ticket prices and on-field expectations grew? You seriously can't be complaining about the increase in the Fish Tank. It's still an incredible deal.

Man you just don't get it. Loria and company basically said "f*** this year." I seriously doubt they really care how many or how few come to these games. They are going to bring in a profit no matter what. Fact is Miami follows winners. That's the bottom line. He knows that. When they get their new stadium deal in place to the payroll will steadily increase. The team will get better and begin to compete again. The fans will come back like sheep because oooooo the team is winning hurrraaay. Loria is going to make his money this year. He is going to get a stadium this year. The team will be better next year. Attendance will increase slowly but surely and peak when the new stadium opens.

 

 

That's only if they hit on some prospects. So far I see two (Hammer and Rameirez). I just don't see Loria & Co ever spending money once he gets a taste of profits as he's doing right now. We have no promises from him that he will increase the payroll to even a mediocre level. When asked about that he always skirts the issue....says it will take care of itself, but never states that he WILL increase it.

 

Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh all have nice new shiny ballparks that make a great big fat profit for their owners, yet they have yet to have a winning season in any of them. Loria will join that bunch.

I don't understand the mistrust of Loria and co. I think in 03-05 they showed a pretty consistent dedication to trying to win. I really do think if they got a new stadium they'd do their damndest to put a winning product on the field.

 

Hmm.. The world does look nice through these rose colored glasses.

It's one thing to want to go out to the ballpark to watch a competitive game.

 

It's a whole other thing to go and constantly watch these young guys play bad baseball. Even the most avid fans won't bother to watch that.

 

 

And the attendance the last few days proves that. The Heat having a game tonight might have taken some away, but what was the excuse for last nite ? Yankees / Red Sox ?

 

I don't understand the mistrust of Loria and co. I think in 03-05 they showed a pretty consistent dedication to trying to win. I really do think if they got a new stadium they'd do their damndest to put a winning product on the field.

 

Hmm.. The world does look nice through these rose colored glasses.

 

 

Dude they did it because they want the new stadium !!!!! When they get the new stadium, they can sit back, get luxury tax money & luxury box money -- and any ticket sales & parking fees at all will be gravy -- they won't care, as long as they get the stadium deal -- any money put out by them so-far will be made back this year and next with luxury tax monies. If this deal gets done, by 2010 Loria will have a nice little money making scheme going on and will never upset the cart to try and actually win with a big payroll -- that is too risky -- see 2005 for an example -- but its much easier to keep payroll to a minimum and watch the money roll in from luxury tax, luxury boxes and any TV & radio contracts.

 

See Cincy, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

Wayne controls the parking prices and the concession prices. There's not much the Marlins FO can do about this. Last game I went to a few days ago I had free tickets....good ones too.....front row founder's field. Went with my son. Still cost me $70 for parking, 1 hot dog, 1 chicken tender, 2 sodas, 3 beers(1 for the guy who gave me the free tix). Plus gas and tolls. I'll keep going as one of the few die-hard fans, but that's not exactly a cheap night out for the average baseball fan. It's not the FO fault...Wayne controls the parking and concessions. I remember going to see the AA or AAA Yankee team back in 1991-2. Used to cost $20 for the same thing. Still does at AAA games.

.

.

.

If Wayne was interested in doing the best he could do for the Marlins(he's not), he'd offer $1 hot dogs, $1 soda, $1 peanuts. $3 parking. I'm sure if that happened(it won't), the Marlins would draw at least an extra 5000-10000 people per game.

 

 

I gotta agree. Thats what kept me from going to more games when the team was actually good. I can't afford to go to 20+ games with a cup of beer (coors!!!) costing 6 dollars (or is it 8? too much anyways), and hotdogs and everything else being so expensive. Part of the ball park experience, fr me at least, is to eat hotdogs and drink beer...how do Wayne's concession prices compare to other major league teams?

Dude they did it because they want the new stadium !!!!! When they get the new stadium, they can sit back, get luxury tax money & luxury box money -- and any ticket sales & parking fees at all will be gravy -- they won't care, as long as they get the stadium deal -- any money put out by them so-far will be made back this year and next with luxury tax monies. If this deal gets done, by 2010 Loria will have a nice little money making scheme going on and will never upset the cart to try and actually win with a big payroll -- that is too risky -- see 2005 for an example -- but its much easier to keep payroll to a minimum and watch the money roll in from luxury tax, luxury boxes and any TV & radio contracts.

 

See Cincy, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

 

 

I disagree. They did it because it is hard to operate a team when you are barely breaking even. It is a business, so their primary concern is making money. Loria seems pretty up front about the whole deal, and as long as Beinfest is the GM, I think they will put the best team that is economically feasible. I trust these guys a lot more than Huizenga, for sure.

Announced attendance was 6,652, but no way there was even 1/2 of that in attendance. There must be many season ticket holders staying home. That's pretty bad when you don't bother to go to the game even when you have a paid seat.

Announced attendance was 6,652, but no way there was even 1/2 of that in attendance. There must be many season ticket holders staying home. That's pretty bad when you don't bother to go to the game even when you have a paid seat.

 

 

A lot are corporate.

 

And a lot of corporate seats have opened up this season with sponsors not renewing (I mean, you can just get batters box seats now, you couldn't do that in the past 5 years).

 

I suspect it's going to get substantially worse before it gets better.

Last game I went to a few days ago I had free tickets....good ones too.....front row founder's field. Went with my son. Still cost me $70

 

 

Last year paying "$50-80" for a game meant seeing DELGADO-CABS-AJ-BECKETT-CASTILLO-JUAN-WILLIS-DUCA and Company.

 

This year paying "$50 - 80" means seeing a AAA team play AAA Ball. Olivo-Jacobs-Mitre and company.

 

 

Your Honor...I rest my Case!

Attendance for the year projects out to less than 900K, but it also seems to be getting progressively worse. They may not make 750K.

I sit in the fish tank and spend, at most, 20 bucks.

 

 

 

Well you must go the whole game without buying beer-soda's or food. I like to enjoy the game and that includes goodies!

Iv got a good idea, to make the stadium look more filled up, just put some dummies in the empty seats, theres only one problem, your gonna need about 70,000 dummies.

I gotta agree. Thats what kept me from going to more games when the team was actually good. I can't afford to go to 20+ games with a cup of beer (coors!!!) costing 6 dollars (or is it 8? too much anyways), and hotdogs and everything else being so expensive. Part of the ball park experience, fr me at least, is to eat hotdogs and drink beer...how do Wayne's concession prices compare to other major league teams?

 

 

I found this interesting tidbit while searching for an answer to your question Sandro :

 

The novelty effect of a new stadium has impications for team revenues (Depken, 2003), how cities negotiate revenue-sharing agreements to finance stadium construction costs (Levine, 2002), or how much host-cities can expect new stadiums to increase economic activity relative to the stadium replaced (Coats and Humphreys, 2003). Furthermore, the novelty effect may change team-owner behavior if a new stadium allows the team to substitute away from higher quality, and more expensive players, and not suffer a significant reduction in attendance and revenues

 

(in other words -- Loria can keep the payroll low the first few seasons of the new stadium because he'll be getting increased revenue just because of the new stadium -- rferry what do you have to say to that ?)

 

Check out this page to read the whole study -- Study on new stadiums and concessions prices

I sit in the fish tank and spend, at most, 20 bucks.

 

 

 

Well you must go the whole game without buying beer-soda's or food. I like to enjoy the game and that includes goodies!

Fish Tank tickets:

8 dollars

Chicken tenders and fries 7

Large drink5

 

Plus 10 for parking. Still not the 70 dollars some guys are throwing out.

Last game I went to a few days ago I had free tickets....good ones too.....front row founder's field. Went with my son. Still cost me $70

 

 

Last year paying "$50-80" for a game meant seeing DELGADO-CABS-AJ-BECKETT-CASTILLO-JUAN-WILLIS-DUCA and Company.

 

This year paying "$50 - 80" means seeing a AAA team play AAA Ball. Olivo-Jacobs-Mitre and company.

 

 

Your Honor...I rest my Case!

 

I mean this as respectfully as possible, but you're a horrible fan.

 

Raising the price for a diminished product is terribly bad business on the part of Loria...but...a fan's a fan. If all you want to do is see winning, then that's fine, we get it, we'll see you in 2 years. If you enjoy baseball and live in Miami, it's almost inexcusable that you don't go to two or three games.

 

You don't have to spend $80 on a ticket, but the excuses not to go are getting tired.

 

Everyone would love to pay $5 and sit right behind the plate and get drinks for $1 and have the players sign everything you want, but it's not going to happen. As a matter of fact, it's never happened.

 

The price hike is disgusting, but it isn't as if they're saying you can't sit in the cheap seats and enjoy a game. If it's your personal preference to sit as close as possible, then that's your choice, but realize that it is also personal bias that is causing the price to be high.

 

Not to take a high and mighty attitude, but really the only people who have a right to bitch are season ticket holders because they were forced into early renewals under completely false pretenses. As a fan of the franchise with nothing other than walk-up committments, it's laughable that you'd refuse to go to one or two games this season, essentially, you're letting $5 or $10 come between you and the game you at least claim to enjoy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.