Cab's at short?

BIG Z

miguel cabrera at SS won't cut it.

SS is an important position.

any old joe (or jose) won't cut it

Since when is Cabrera just "any old joe"? Besides, he was strictly a shortstop his entire baseball life except for the last year or so, so it's not like he's unfamiliar with the position. The fact is, even if Cabrera plays mediocre defense at short, that's better than Gonzo and the black hole he creates in our lineup (a couple flukey months notwithstanding).

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Cabs could play any position he wanted. If the Fish said "Cabs you're catching tonight" he'd be out there with that boyish grin of his calling for fastballs and sliders for nine innings. He is the real deal, and we are d*mn lucky to have him.

Cabs play at third has been stellar. I've come to respect AGon tremendously this season, I hope he continues with the Fish but if asked, size not withstanding, I would have no fears about Cabs playing there.

one thing about kids that grow up in latin america is that they don't play organize baseball until later in their lives, so usually they are able to play a lot of positions. i'll explain. kids in venezuela, cuba, puerto rico, panama, dominican republic play baseball more than any other sport. they just get together and start a game, wether it is 9 vs 9 or 3 vs 3 with a guy pitching for both teams, it's just about playing. so usually when you play like this you play any position. somebody needs to get the outfield, you get the outfield. somebody has to catch, you catch. somebody needs to play shortstop, you play shortstop. there's not the notion of having a set position so i think your point marlins2003 is a very valid one.

i think there is a reason they moved him from SS to 3B in the minors....and it sure wasnt because of future playing time problems. He outgrew the position (not height-wise). I believe he is too slow to play SS.

This really is a silly thread anyway, though. We really don't know how well Cabrera can play SS. The coaches do.

i think there is a reason they moved him from SS to 3B in the minors....and it sure wasnt because of future playing time problems. He outgrew the position (not height-wise). I believe he is too slow to play SS.

This really is a silly thread anyway, though. We really don't know how well Cabrera can play SS. The coaches do.

The marlins moved The Kid (I love calling the kid "The Kid", reminds me of watching Ted Williams when I was one) to third was because the Fish were covering their bets at third if Lowell was traded.

Is he big for a SS? Sure. Does he display a glove and half at third? You betcha! He looks to all the world like its his natural position. My comment about The Kid merely was in recognition of his overall skills, that he could play anywhere and not embarrass himself or the team.

As for this being a "silly" thread it was much better before your uninformed post, but I'm never surprised at what drivel one comes accross here.

And BTW, if you followed The Kid in the minors you'd know he was an outstanding SS prospect. And I'm sure the Marlins organization knows exactly how good he is at SS.

The marlins moved The Kid (I love calling the kid "The Kid", reminds me of watching Ted Williams when I was one) to third was because the Fish were covering their bets at third if Lowell was traded.

Is he big for a SS? Sure. Does he display a glove and half at third? You betcha! He looks to all the world like its his natural position. My comment about The Kid merely was in recognition of his overall skills, that he could play anywhere and not embarrass himself or the team.

As for this being a "silly" thread it was much better before your uninformed post, but I'm never surprised at what drivel one comes accross here.

And BTW, if you followed The Kid in the minors you'd know he was an outstanding SS prospect. And I'm sure the Marlins organization knows exactly how good he is at SS. Ok...it's not silly. I didnt mean for it to come across that way. I mean, none of us really know if Cabs can play SS well....and how he is compared to A-Gon, because none of us have seen him play SS for an extended period of time recently.

Now, let's say he can play SS. Now, this takes on a new twist. If he can play SS, then I say definitely put him in there. As much as I love our defense, I will sacrifice a little for our offense to be that much better.

i think there is a reason they moved him from SS to 3B in the minors....and it sure wasnt because of future playing time problems.? He outgrew the position (not height-wise).? I believe he is too slow to play SS.

This really is a silly thread anyway, though.? We really don't know how well Cabrera can play SS.? The coaches do.

And BTW, if you followed The Kid in the minors you'd know he was an outstanding SS prospect. And I'm sure the Marlins organization knows exactly how good he is at SS. Ok...it's not silly. I didnt mean for it to come across that way. I mean, none of us really know if Cabs can play SS well....and how he is compared to A-Gon, because none of us have seen him play SS for an extended period of time recently.

Now, let's say he can play SS. Now, this takes on a new twist. If he can play SS, then I say definitely put him in there. As much as I love our defense, I will sacrifice a little for our offense to be that much better. FurmanGator, good post. Glad you thought about it and responded the way you did.

I've always sort of thought of Cabs as being too big & not quick enough to play SS, but obviously he did it growing up... I don't think he has the lightning fast quick feet & hands that Alex has, but he seems to play a pretty smooth 3B, and his arm is certainly strong enough to play anywhere he wants. He's no bigger than ARod I guess, so that pretty much shoots down my point.

Probably something they should at least take into consideration.

Guess it all depends on who stays and who goes in the offseason. I wasn't aware that he switched from SS to 3B so recently. I thought he was a natural 3B. If he handled LF as well as he did with that position being the third he's covered in a year and a half, imagine him stepping back into his first calling SS. Could be scary. If Tejada can do it at his height and bulkiness, I think Cabs has the speed to do it also.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Cabs could play any position he wanted. If the Fish said "Cabs you're catching tonight" he'd be out there with that boyish grin of his calling for fastballs and sliders for nine innings. He is the real deal, and we are d*mn lucky to have him.

I agree 100%. Cabs just seems to have that natural athleticism that allows him to take to any position. The fact is, even if Cabs is only mediocre defensively at short, it's still worth moving him there. And from what I've seen of him, I have a hard time believing Cabs would be less than mediocre at short.