The Florida State Senate Vote for Marlins Ballpark Tax Rebate Thread

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

What's going on?

The State Senate expected to vote on a $60M subsidy over 30 years to fund a ballpark in Hialeah. The bill must be approved by the Senate, the House and finally Governor Bush.

Watch it LIVE here

Can I get a rally scene?!?

Not even the boys at Descarga could have forseen this one. :D

I had wondered about that issue since it became dormant last year. The awful quiet may have served a purpose but can't figure out what exactly changed from then to now except for the new location. It's not like any new location would have required any radical departure from the current law on the state level. So it can only be that there promises made to northern Senators in exchange for their votes. But, again, speculation of mine.

Anyway, anyone thinks we might get an update from Julio later on the radio show?

Guest Festa

Ya, what time....and if this is passed, is the stadium basically a done deal?

Don't know, and yes.

It sure seems like it. The tax district that would be created at the site might've been enough to get a deal done even without the state money (or at least make it close enough where all the parties could probably cover whatever was left)...

But the better news is that if they get this state money, the tax district should be MORE than enough to cover any remaining gap.

12 2. The previous certification was for an applicant

13 that served as the home facility for two professional sports

14 franchises and the franchise was used as a basis for the

15 certification of a new applicant. Notwithstanding any other

16 provision of this section, the franchise continuing to use the

17 original applicant shall be considered the franchise forming

18 the basis of the previous certification and the previous

19 certification shall continue to apply for the time period

20 permitted from the original date of certification.

So the existing subsidy for Dolphin Stadium is transferred to the Dolphins, and Wayne still gets his rebate.

It sure seems like it. The tax district that would be created at the site might've been enough to get a deal done even without the state money (or at least make it close enough where all the parties could probably cover whatever was left)...

But the better news is that if they get this state money, the tax district should be MORE than enough to cover any remaining gap.

Plus the local governments would have funds remaining to improve ingress and egress to the stadium from both the Turnpike and I-75.

It says on the page...

"The House will be in Session today.

10:00 AM - 5:00 PM "

Is this for us?

Session begins at 10 AM, BTW.

:plain

Perfect timing. I will be home from class around that time. Maybe 10-15 later though :thumbup .

"Another bill to be voted on today would also give Miami-Dade County and Hialeah some existing sales tax to help fund construction of the ballpark."

This last sentence of the Sentinel article this morning is also very encouraging. There seems to be another way that the Marlins can get some help toward the stadium apart from the main tax break vote.

Hmmmmm.....has to be approved by Gov. Bush? I wonder if W has called him and told him which way he would like to see this go? Might be a great opportunity for W to get something done for his homestate before he leaves office. :D

His homestate already have 2 teams :whistle

Guest Festa

Hmmmmm.....has to be approved by Gov. Bush? I wonder if W has called him and told him which way he would like to see this go? Might be a great opportunity for W to get something done for his homestate before he leaves office. :D

Jeb lives in Miami and is close friends with Armando Codina. :whistle

Not a chance W. would do that. He's a Texas Rangers homer, remember?

Besides, don't you think him working in tax breaks for oil refining in that energy bill he got passed is enough of something for Texas?