Why does this team play so poorly @ home ?

Heywood Jablowme

When a team loses this many at home sometimes it may mean they haven't been "built right" for the home stadium. Have we got a team that is like that ? Is it because no fans are showing up it depresses them ?

Can you forsee a scenario that has "home games" in San Juan next year because of the poor attendance ?

Guest Juanky

The poor attendance I'm not getting into.

Who knows why they don't play well at home. Maybe they feel some sort of pressure? Maybe the home uniforms are uncomfortable? Maybe the visiting teams just know the park better at this point?

Not helping that they walk a ton of hitters at home.

It probably has something to do with fielding errors, our pitchers giving up tons of walks and lack of run production after the 5th inning, but that is only a guess.

I know what you are saying, but it does seem to be that they give a better effort on the road. They have won 6 on the road and 2 at home. That doesn't portend to getting the home crowd excited. You know they keep losing at home and the attendance we have now will seem MASSIVE by the August games.

Please, before you respond to the initial question.....it's not asking why we play poorly everywhere.....it's asking about a difference between home and away.

.I do think that the poor attendance can have a negative effect on the young players. Could be we have a home field disadvantage and I wouldn't be surprised if we won more games on the road than at home this year. The veterans could deal with the measly crowds. I think the rookies get down looking at the empty seats at home, and then they go on the road and see decent crowds.

Please, before you respond to the initial question.....it's not asking why we play poorly everywhere.....it's asking about a difference between home and away.

.I do think that the poor attendance can have a negative effect on the young players. Could be we have a home field disadvantage and I wouldn't be surprised if we won more games on the road than at home this year. The veterans could deal with the measly crowds. I think the rookies get down looking at the empty seats at home, and then they go on the road and see decent crowds.

Because they are used to having 30,000-in-attendance sellouts in the minors, right? I don't buy that for one second. At least in DS they have thousands of fans cheering for them, as opposed to having about 50 Marlins fans max during road games.

Defensively this team plays poorly both at home and on the road. I don't believe the small crowds have any effect. After all, the size of the crowd is still larger than a minor league crowd.

It could be the more experienced pitching staffs on other teams are better able to take advantage of the large ball park. At home we are hitting at a .230 clip and hitting .270 on the road.

Because they are used to having 30,000-in-attendance sellouts in the minors, right? I don't buy that for one second. At least in DS they have thousands of fans cheering for them, as opposed to having about 50 Marlins fans max during road games.

Actually I'm sure they had more fans cheering for them at home in the Minors. It's got to be dissapointing to make "The Show" and be greeted with this. And I don't know how many games you've been to this year, but the ones I've been to the fans have been sitting on their hands. The Mermaids were doing their best to get some rooting going.

Home

NAME	   G  AB  R   H 2B 3B HR  TB RBI BB  SO SB CS   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS 

Marlins   13 431 53  99 25  4  8 156  49 50 104 14  7 .230 .317 .362 .679 

Opponents 13 453 73 120 22  6 11 187  64 65  99 11  7 .265 .366 .413 .779 

Road

Marlins   15 523 76 141 36  4 18 239  72 53 130 12  5 .270 .344 .457 .801 

Opponents 15 472 74 117 26  1 14 187  69 68  83 11  6 .248 .349 .396 .745

Home
Marlins   13 431 53  99 25  4  8 156  49 50 104 14  7 .230 .317 .362 .679 
Opponents 13 453 73 120 22  6 11 187  64 65  99 11  7 .265 .366 .413 .779 

Road
Marlins   15 523 76 141 36  4 18 239  72 53 130 12  5 .270 .344 .457 .801 
Opponents 15 472 74 117 26  1 14 187  69 68  83 11  6 .248 .349 .396 .745

Boy if that isn't an indictment of pisspoor play at home....YIKES :thumbdown

Anyone else think the reason we are playing so poorly at home is because we have a 15 million dollar pay roll?

Well its not the only reason, but it does contribute -- no doubt about that. You are getting what you paid for Mr Loria.

What I don't understand is why he would do this to the few loyal season ticket holders he did have ? This surely is not the best way to do business.

Even if the Marlins do get a stadium in So Fla, does anyone think that people will just flock to the new ballpark ? I think its gonna be a tougher sell than he thinks.

What I don't understand is why he would do this to the few loyal season ticket holders he did have ? This surely is not the best way to do business.

Even if the Marlins do get a stadium in So Fla, does anyone think that people will just flock to the new ballpark ? I think its gonna be a tougher sell than he thinks.

Are you really that thick? Come on, he didn't do this because he thought it woudl help them sell tickets. He did it because the money they'd get from revenue sharing and whatnot covers the salary, and the ticket sales are just gravy.

And yes, the fans will flock to a new stadium. They always do.

Are you really that thick? Come on, he didn't do this because he thought it woudl help them sell tickets. He did it because the money they'd get from revenue sharing and whatnot covers the salary, and the ticket sales are just gravy.

That is not true. Recent publications have estimated that the Marlins get approx. $60 Million between revenue sharing, TV and Radio money, and merchandising (not including any portion of the sale of Nationals by MLB). So, on top of the $45 Million Loria pockets this year, the ticket sales are "just gravy."

That is not true. Recent publications have estimated that the Marlins get approx. $60 Million between revenue sharing, TV and Radio money, and merchandising (not including any portion of the sale of Nationals by MLB). So, on top of the $45 Million Loria pockets this year, the ticket sales are "just gravy."

Reminds me of my sisiter-in-laws Thanksgiving dinner. Thin gravy on top of a bad turkey.

Anyone else think the reason we are playing so poorly at home is because we have a 15 million dollar pay roll?

Of course it does! Minors vs Majors! We're lucky to have won 6 games in April.

As far as home is concerned. If the Cardinals go to any Minor league clubs home park...wouldn't they win 8 or 9 of 10?

And yes, the fans will flock to a new stadium. They always do.

But based on other stadiums experience that only lasts about 2 seasons. If Loria doesn't have the money to spend on players now, how is he going to have the money after the "newness" of the stadium wears off and the large numbers of fans wears off because the team is sucky ?

This is why I hope that someday Loria will sell the team and we can get a really deep pocket owner, because if not we'll become another Toronto or Baltimore ; stuck in a division with Atlanta and NY Mets that can forever outspend us (just like Red Sox and Yankees do in the AL East to Tampa, Toronto and Baltimore).

Reminds me of my sisiter-in-laws Thanksgiving dinner. Thin gravy on top of a bad turkey.

:lol

But based on other stadiums experience that only lasts about 2 seasons. If Loria doesn't have the money to spend on players now, how is he going to have the money after the "newness" of the stadium wears off and the large numbers of fans wears off because the team is sucky ?

This is why I hope that someday Loria will sell the team and we can get a really deep pocket owner, because if not we'll become another Toronto or Baltimore ; stuck in a division with Atlanta and NY Mets that can forever outspend us (just like Red Sox and Yankees do in the AL East to Tampa, Toronto and Baltimore).

I honestly think by the time we get a new stadium, this will be a good team on a low budget that will then have room to improve dramatically with a higher payroll.

I see greener pastures ahead in the next 3 or 4 years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.