June 12, 200620 yr Just on the news here at work, flipped over his handle bars and landed on the windshield of a car. Wasn't wearing a helmet. Apparent injuries to the head.
June 12, 200620 yr Found a link: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9...67/detail.html# He's stupid for not wearing a helmet, but I hope he's ok.
June 12, 200620 yr Author Steelers confirm it was Big Ben. Witnesses claim he had severe head injuries. Steelers will release an update on his status soon. Apparently he went head first over his handlebars and it sounds like he went head first into the windshield of a oncoming car. Tried to stand up and speak but couldn't. Was taken to mercy Hospital.
June 12, 200620 yr Thats not good. When will these super(talented) A+ athletes learn NIT to ride motorcycles?
June 12, 200620 yr Thats not good. When will these super(talented) A+ athletes learn NIT to ride motorcycles? I think the appeal is in the danger and coolness of motorcycles. Players are taught to think they're super-human over-confident guys, and when it extends beyond the playing field, stuff like this can happen.
June 12, 200620 yr I really hope he is ok. Too many of these are happening now to atheletes. I remember when Jason Williams had his, and initial reports were he might not make it, I shed some tears. I'll put Big Ben in my prayers.
June 12, 200620 yr Author Ok, a little clarification. The impact with the windshield was a glancing blow, but he landed on his head on the pavement after hitting the windshield. He was reportedly walking and talking after the accident.
June 12, 200620 yr I saw something about this on ESPN about a year ago with Big Ben not wanting to wear a helmet. Hope he's okay, but damn you gotta wear a helmet.
June 12, 200620 yr Scary article, from May 22, 2005: http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8449835 Big Ben discussing why he doesn't wear a helmet, despite the urging by Bill Cowher.
June 12, 200620 yr Jay Williams, Kellen Winslow......maybe someone should teach these athletes about the helmet
June 12, 200620 yr Author Lots of conflicting reports. WPXI is saying he looked ok and there appeared to be no serious injuries. KDKA is saying he hit the windshield, flipped over the car and landed on the pavement. Both say he was up wlaking and talking, but KDKA says he didn't know where he was and was out of it. It's going to be a while before we get the whole story, but either way it's not a good situation.
June 12, 200620 yr Scary article, from May 22, 2005: http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8449835 Big Ben discussing why he doesn't wear a helmet, despite the urging by Bill Cowher. Can't say that I feel sorry for him after reading that. :plain
June 12, 200620 yr Idiot I have trouble feeling bad for people who don't wear a helmet(assuming he wasn't), but I do hope he is ok and not seriously injured. If it's true and he was walking around after the accident it sounds good then.
June 12, 200620 yr Early indications are injuries not life-threatening -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ESPN.com news services PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh on Monday morning. "He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service. Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle. ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening. One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday. One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital. A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. I hope he's ok, but I found this article on ESPN.com pretty funny....
June 12, 200620 yr If he was walking and talking he's probably fine. But he will forever get hell for this. Probably deservedly so.
June 12, 200620 yr If he was walking and talking he's probably fine. But he will forever get hell for this. Probably deservedly so. For once i agree with you and thanks for what you said earlier :thumbup
June 12, 200620 yr Author People are ready to start throwing themselves off bridges here. One guy was sobbing uncontrollably. I don't mean to belittle the situation, but this is a tad bit scary. I'm surprised no one has asked to go home yet.
June 12, 200620 yr AP now reporting PITTSBURGH ? (AP) ? A doctor says Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition in an operating room. so don't know what they are operating for????
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.