Anyone have concerns about the stadium being in Hialeah

MiamiMarlins1

It just doesn't seem to be a much better location than Dolphin Stadium. Ideally I would love to see the park downtown. Just to have that spill over foot traffic for the after workers. Baseball stadiums really need to be centrally located to draw good crowds, that's why everyone is building them downtown.

I agree that I would love to see a stadium in downtown, however the problem with that is it isolates the fanbase in broward and palm beach. For example, I live in Miami, but my father lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and he is as big a Marlins fan as any, and even he says that he would not be able to go to as many games if it was in downtown Miami. I think Hialeah would be a fine place to have a baseball stadium.

I agree that I would love to see a stadium in downtown, however the problem with that is it isolates the fanbase in broward and palm beach. For example, I live in Miami, but my father lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and he is as big a Marlins fan as any, and even he says that he would not be able to go to as many games if it was in downtown Miami. I think Hialeah would be a fine place to have a baseball stadium.

I agree downtown might be less convient for people living outside of the Miami area, but I think after work traffic will fill the stadum more than people traveling from a distance and then people going to the game on the weekend will be fairly open to any location especially downtown since it is dead on weekends

:hat after all these years of threats of contraction and relocation,i say,"let's take what we can get."

i live in boca raton.i'm willing to relocate to miami so i can go to as many games as possible.

anything ,anywhere is better than nothing!!!!!

:hat after all these years of threats of contraction and relocation,i say,"let's take what we can get."

i live in boca raton.i'm willing to relocate to miami so i can go to as many games as possible.

anything ,anywhere is better than nothing!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I agree anything is better than nothing. But I just hope that if they build a stadium in Hialeah we don't hear a new agruement that no one goes to the game b/c Hialeah is a bad location

:hat the new ballpark in hialeh will mark the brand new beginning.the beginning we should have had in 1993.the rain and the heat will no longer be a factior.

as long as there is a winning team on the field,people will come.

i spent a couple of hours in hialeah today for the first time.seems like a nice town to me.i may look for a home there if the marlins build there.and i'm a gringo.but i LOVE the marlins!!!!1

Just like the present stadium keeps people from Coral Reef, Palmetto Bay and Cutler Ridge away from the games right now. You know this should not just be about the convienance of the Boward Marlins fans. The people in south Miami-Dade have been left out of it forever. You know maybe we should give them a chance with a stadium closer in Miami-Dade because its been shown that the Broward County fans haven't exactly done a bang-up job of filling the stadium. Right ? :whistle

What people forget about this whole deal is that the Stadium although being placed in Hialeah (it really isn't in Hialeah)....the stadium would be placed in a western area between the Turnpike and I-75...that really isn't Hialeah, the city annexed that land maybe out 5-7 years ago cause the county was giving it away...and the city wanted to expand....this stadium will be convinient for both Dade fans, Broward fans and even Palm Beach fans....from dade you have the option of the 826 to I-75 to the stadium or even the turnpike to the stadium; from broward you have the turnpike and palm beach can do the turnpike or even the sawgrass to I-75...this site is the best site for the stadium IMO...don't get me wrong would downtown be nice next to the AAA yes...but then you are making ur fans work to hard to get to the ballpark...parking downtown sucks (evidenced by the heat parade last week)...and trust me the last thing anyone who works in downtown would want to do is stay downtown for a ballgame...make them drive either closer to home (Dade/Broward line) or get them out of the environment they are in all day....

and trust me the last thing anyone who works in downtown would want to do is stay downtown for a ballgame...make them drive either closer to home (Dade/Broward line) or get them out of the environment they are in all day....

I have to disagree. Just look at the success downtown stadiums are having. You're telling me you would rather get in a car and drive to the game then get back in the car and drive home, when you could walk over to the stadium after work see the game and drive home. This was Selig's main concern about Hialeah, was the location. Almost every new park built is in a downtown area, Philly, Pittsburgh, Houston, etc. Baseball stadiums need a central location b/c their playing 82 times a year not like football where you have 8 games, most on sun when people don't mind driving.

being someone who works downtown, the place i detest the most is downtown due to the traffic congestion and honestly just too many people in too too small of an area.....the hialeah site is wide open for shops and restaurants...you can make a day at the proposed area.....and yes i would rather have to drive to a game than walk through Downtown Miami to get to a game....

even though this topic is mute cause there is no chance of a ballpark being built in downtown Miami.

being someone who works downtown, the place i detest the most is downtown due to the traffic congestion and honestly just too many people in too too small of an area.....the hialeah site is wide open for shops and restaurants...you can make a day at the proposed area.....and yes i would rather have to drive to a game than walk through Downtown Miami to get to a game....

even though this topic is mute cause there is no chance of a ballpark being built in downtown Miami.

I think you mean this topic is moot. And no I don't think it is moot b/c I believe Selig has already voiced his concern about the location of Hialeah and his desire to have something built downtown. Obviously Hialeah will cost a lot less then downtown. And I agree with you that Hialeah would be great if there were shops and restaurants, but I think we need be realistic on what would sustain these businesses they can't survive alone on spillover from games. Look @ Tampa, they built the stadium thinking the surrounding area would develop around it, no such luck, there's one maybe 2 bar/restaurants. Even businesses around Yankee stadium have a hard time surviving and most shut their doors in the off season. I'm just concerning b/c let's face it Miami fans don't like going to the games, and we're really banking on this new park to answer all our attendance wows. I just hope a-we get a park b-we get a crowd going there.

to answer your question...the reason this topic is MOOT! is cause the City of Miami is not in the equation so the downtown land isn't even being considered...selig will accept a stadium where ever he gets one....the fact is that as of this moment, he/MLB is not giving a penny to the project...so a stadium will get built where it can be built...plust the fact that downtown Miami has no more room to accomodate a stadium....the area that was Bicentennial Park has already been pledged for a library or something...so that is other words is why this topic is moot.....

for all marlin fans, they need to realize that at this point it is Hialeah or bust....bust being the team eventually moving....

No more land in downtown. The AAA used up much of it and the rest has hazardous waste underneath which would add millions to the cost in the clean up. Parking a main issue also. Hialeah is fine, its great, it has access to N. broward, S Palm Beach, S. Dade etc. It's great, so lets just get it done. And the Bistec y pollo y picadillo is magnificent. Sangria, Santeria, Mojitos-JUST GET IT DONE.

and trust me the last thing anyone who works in downtown would want to do is stay downtown for a ballgame...make them drive either closer to home (Dade/Broward line) or get them out of the environment they are in all day....

I have to disagree. Just look at the success downtown stadiums are having. You're telling me you would rather get in a car and drive to the game then get back in the car and drive home, when you could walk over to the stadium after work see the game and drive home. This was Selig's main concern about Hialeah, was the location. Almost every new park built is in a downtown area, Philly, Pittsburgh, Houston, etc. Baseball stadiums need a central location b/c their playing 82 times a year not like football where you have 8 games, most on sun when people don't mind driving.

you have a point.but that argument need to go to manny diaz.he and arriolla are the one who backed out of the deal last november.diaz hasn't even tried to better his deal over hialeah.has he? :hat

Guest Fritz

At this point, I don't care where they build the stadium-- just build it and keep the Fish in South Florida!

I'd settle for Central Florida.

OH SHNAP!

Just like the present stadium keeps people from Coral Reef, Palmetto Bay and Cutler Ridge away from the games right now. You know this should not just be about the convienance of the Boward Marlins fans. The people in south Miami-Dade have been left out of it forever. You know maybe we should give them a chance with a stadium closer in Miami-Dade because its been shown that the Broward County fans haven't exactly done a bang-up job of filling the stadium. Right ? :whistle

Are you kidding me??? The Marlins have catered to the South Dade fans since our inception and they have failed to show up in any numbers. From the expansion draft when we took Destrade instead of Big Cat because he was from that area. Nice choice there. All the way to the original new pond plans being set next to the OB. Blame your City Manager for ruining that plan to have OUR team become just YOUR team. Always excuses of why they don't go to the games. Never results. I live in West Palm and we go to the games. No excuses. We just go. If anybody should be complaining that we "have been left out it forever" it should be us in PB and Martin Counties. But rarely do you hear any complaints from "up here." Stay a week at my house, go to the games with me, and then tell me how bad you have it down there. Every now and then I get fed up with the crying from South Dade residents saying how bad they have been treated by this team. They have been babied, cajoled, and targeted by this team with no results. Time for the Marlins to move on and start looking at who is supporting them instead of who they wish would support them

Hialeah is a great location. The way they have it planned right now it will be as convenient for South Dade fans as much as for us in the northern counties. If South Dade still won't go to the games that is their problem and loss. As far as I am concerned they can stay right at home and watch us having fun on TV.

Rant over. For now.

Oh yeah, because people from Miami-Dade county always come out in huge numbers. :rolleyes:

does anybody know if the marlins would be renamed the miami marlins if the hialeah stadium gets built? i think that would be a great touch.

I've posted that same opinion about 2 months ago and got pretty much slammed for it. I agree w/ you 100%, Miami Marlins sounds so much better, and its not like the boys up north care about us anyway

does anybody know if the marlins would be renamed the miami marlins if the hialeah stadium gets built? i think that would be a great touch.

I've posted that same opinion about 2 months ago and got pretty much slammed for it. I agree w/ you 100%, Miami Marlins sounds so much better, and its not like the boys up north care about us anyway

Excuse me?? South Dade residents keep making excuse of why they won't attend games and now they want to call the team Miami Marlins even tho the stadium will be built in Hialeah??? What's the reasoning in that?? Didn't Miami already have their shot at that and didn't their city manager blow that one big time??? How about we rename them the Florida Except Miami Marlins. I think that would be a great touch.

why such anger to central and northern florida ? there are many marlins fans in northern florida and to be honest south florida politicians are the reason the marlins dont have a stadium yet , it was local officials who couldnt come up with a deal for the marlins , than it was infighting between the liberal south florida state delegation who oppose the stadium and some cuban republicans who want the stadium , and only recently the infighting between the miami cuban republicans has ended so the chances are the marlins will get some funding in the next session . The city of miami has done more to push the marlins out of the state than anyone , so i am not sure why the florida marlins should change their name to a city that hasnt made helping the marlins a priority . besides the florida marlins have won two championships , have the best looking uniforms in the game if it is not broke why fix it from a marketing front ?........btw i grew up in kendall and only recently moved away from the area i love south florida but lets be honest they to this point have dropped the ball in helping the marlins