The Incredible Hulk Remake

Passion

So, 'The Incredible Hulk' film starring Eric Bana and Jennifer Connely bombed financially and critically. One of the better comic to film ideas, but Universal killed hype for it by using a CGI'd and ridiculous looking Hulk. You'd think that Marvel would cut its losses, and just put the failure behind them, right?

Nope. A second Hulk movie was rumored and latered confirmed to happen.

Now, it's not going to be a sequel...but a remake just 3-5 years after Ang Lee's version.

Eric Bana will not be in this one, and I'd assume the rest of the cast (Josh Lucas, Nick Nolte, Sam Elliot) won't be either.

The good news doesn't stop there as one of the rumored names to play the part of Dr. Bruce Banner is Brendan Fraser.

:plain

Very strange. Marvel has made some interesting choices lately...including an Ant Man film. Interesting not totally being good.

Although, I will say The Hulk and Elektra are the only two Marvel movies I havent enjoyed.

Bana was a great choice as Banner, IMO, and the visuals of The Hulk was a neat idea(comic book style panneling from scene to scene), but overall the movie was garbage.

Marvel needs to get their heads on straight, if they want to keep making a product movie goers will want to see.

X-Men and Spiderman movies will always sell IMO(Fantastic Four and Punisher as well IMO), but their other franchises need work to stay on top of things. Elektra and the upcoming Ant Man should never of been given movies anyway.

Marvel has sold every single property they own to be made into a movie. Except for Favreau directing Iron Man they're making A LOT of crap. Power Pack!? Are you kidding me!? Power Pack!? A group of four brothers and sisters who are bestowed super powers by an alien(ironically their last name is Powers) and they go skateboaring around and helping people.

Anyways, here's a list of the major movie franchises being released by Marvel:

Iron Man (character bio)

For the legendary Super Hero Iron Man, Jon Favreau will direct the film and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). Favreau's directing credits include Elf and Zathura: A Space Adventure.

Incredible Hulk (character bio)

Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2, Fantastic Four, and the upcoming X-Men: The Last Stand, will write a new Incredible Hulk film, inspired by the larger-than-life green giant. Under Marvel's arrangement with Universal, Marvel will develop and produce the Incredible Hulk as a major theatrical release, with Universal retaining various distribution rights.

Ant Man (character bio)

Writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) will direct, and co-write with writing partner Joe Cornish, the feature film based on cult-favorite Ant Man. Edgar will also co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

Captain America (character bio)

David Self has been tapped to write Captain America, inspired by Marvel's venerable all-American super soldier. Self's credits include Thirteen Days and Road to Perdition, in addition to numerous rewrites on various studio films. He also worked with Marvel on two other projects: Namor, the Sub-Mariner for Universal, and Deathlok for Paramount.

Nick Fury (character bio)

Marvel's Super Hero with military roots, the iconic super spy Nick Fury,

will be brought to life by action/adventure screenwriter Andrew Marlowe. Marlowe's

credits include Air Force One, End of Days, and Hollow Man.

Thor (character bio)

The legendary Norse Thunder deity, Thor, will hammer his way to the big screen with the help of screenwriter Mark Protosevich. Protosevich wrote one of this summer's highly-anticipated films, Poseidon. His credits also include The Cell.

Kind of interested in Iron Man and Captain America, but other than that, blah.

You know what I see as the biggest problem? Is most, if not all, of these are being written by Hollywood screenwriter when they have the best and most able to write the most iconic versions of these properties in-house and willing to write for these movies. I mean, an X-Men movie written by Chris Claremont is more fulfilling than if some Hollywood guy does it. Some Hollywood guy hasn't been writing over 20 years of history in almost every X-title imagineable.

True that. But comic writers might not know how to write a screen play either. A great deal of collaboration should be involved.

I am most excited for Fantastic Four 2, Spiderman 3, and the next X-Men trilogy(o, it'll happen).

Hopefully, introducing all of these Avengers characters can lead to an Avengers movie as well.

Assemble!

True that. But comic writers might not know how to write a screen play either. A great deal of collaboration should be involved.

I am most excited for Fantastic Four 2, Spiderman 3, and the next X-Men trilogy(o, it'll happen).

Hopefully, introducing all of these Avengers characters can lead to an Avengers movie as well.

Assemble!

See thing is, most comic scripts today heavily resemble movie scripts. And by heavily resemble, except for replacing the words "panel" with "shot" they are the same animal.

That being said, I believe most of Marvel's franchises have been spread out among studios to where an Avengers movie would be pretty hard to accomplish.

I'm looking forward to Spiderman 3 and the Batman Begins sequel the most.

What the heck does that have to do with this thread?

Someone else said the same thing.

Mostly I think it's a bad idea to try and make another Hulk movie, especially after the failure and expense of the first. They should just leave it alone.

Hulk isn't a hero.

Hulk should be done as a mass-murdering super-villain. It's always better when Banner is the tragic, mixed-up scientist and Hulk is just a nut trying to impress Banner's girlfriend Betty.

In one issue of the ultimates Banner's girlfriend is out with Freddie Prinze Jr. and Hulk threatens to eat Freddie Prinze Jr. and make his chest cavity into Hulk's toilet. Basically, Hulk is the Ultimate's version of an A-Bomb. They only use him in the most severe of circumstances and he causes damage for miles and miles.

Ultimate Marvel sucks. Ya, I went there.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with you. Ultimate X-Men isn't good. Ultimate Spider-Mam is, however. So is The Ultimates, but whatever.

I still prefer the tragic/villainous version of the Hulk where he's just downright nasty and p.o.ed.

I can see why they did the Ultimates universe(how much I dislike it, I dont even know it's # designation), as a way to tell the stories in a different light and change things to fit the times.

It's better than what DC does, a different main reality changing CRISIS every 10/15 years.(why DC does and has sucked for many many years)

But still, overall, I strongy dislike Ultimate Marvel.

I can see why they did the Ultimates universe(how much I dislike it, I dont even know it's # designation), as a way to tell the stories in a different light and change things to fit the times.

It's better than what DC does, a different main reality changing CRISIS every 10/15 years.(why DC does and has sucked for many many years)

But still, overall, I strongy dislike Ultimate Marvel.

Yeah, but the last Crisis didn't change continuity at all. So it wasn't a total restart.

Plus, the trend in writing in the 80's tended towards reality and being more serious, and so the comics had to reflect that. It was a clever way at the time to get rid of the emberassing stuff nobody wanted to reference or to be apart of the character's history. Marvel tried the same thing with the pocket universe but it failed miserably (I'm going to blame Rob Liefeld for that one).

I don't know, I liked Marvel when I was a kid/teen, but as I grow older I like and have more fondness for the DC characters and style of writing. For some reason, comics like Batman, Detective Comics, Superman/Batman, Green Lantern, 7 Soldiers of Victory, 100 Bullets, The Losers appeal to me more than anything Marvel does but Daredevil and X-Men (I'll add Captain America with the addition of Brubaker). But, the entire comics industry is cyclical, so who knows what tomorrow brings? I think as long as DC has Grant Morrison and he continues doing pretty much whatever the hell he wants then they have the upper hand. But, to say one has and does suck constantly, I think that's wrong. The entire business is cyclical, it seems like one is either up, up, up, or down, down, down. I mean, Marvel has always had X-Men, but DC has always had Batman and the list goes on and on. And for each crap storyline where Superman dies, Batman breaks his back, you have Peter Parker being a clone and Daredevil changing his costume and being crappy.

• 2 weeks later...

Has gotten it's director and screen writer:

Continuing its strategy to independently develop and produce a new slate of feature films, Marvel Studios - a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. - has signed top rising director Louis Leterrier to direct a new big screen adaptation of The Incredible Hulk, based on the legendary Marvel Super Hero. The announcement was made today by Michael Helfant, President/COO of Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige, President of Production for Marvel Studios.

Leterrier recently directed Transporter 2, which opened at the top of the box office earlier this year, as well as the critically-acclaimed Unleashed, starring Jet Li, Morgan Freeman and Bob Hoskins.

The Incredible Hulk will return to the roots of the long-running comic series, combining a well-developed character storyline with incredible action and fun. Zak Penn, who previously collaborated with Marvel on X2 and this summer's smash hit X-Men: The Last Stand, is writing the script. The project is being produced by Avi Arad, Kevin Feige and Gale Ann Hurd and will be executive produced by Michael Helfant and Ari Arad. Marvel Studios will begin casting immediately. No release date has been set.

"Leterrier has a tremendous passion for this genre and shares our vision for the new direction of the 'Incredible Hulk' franchise, one of the gems of the Marvel Universe," said Kevin Feige. "We are very excited to be working with such a talented director to bring one of our pre-eminent Super Hero franchises back to the big screen, and we are certain that he will bring the Hulk to life in a way that will appeal to a mass audience as well as the core Super Hero fan base."

Leterrier will be formally introduced during a Marvel Studios panel at San Diego Comic-Con International on Saturday, July 22.

Universal will distribute The Incredible Hulk domestically and in various international territories. This project, the second feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, is expected to be financed through Marvel's $525 million revolving film financing facility.

Source

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I remember Purcell now, but Garcia is a mystery to me.

I think that the success of this movie is going to be determined by how they approach the Hulk this time.

Ang Lee tried to make his version, in his words, a "Greek tragedy". Unfortunately that did not translate into box-office success.

I have to agree that there needs to be more focus on the Hulk as a destructive force.

• 7 months later...

Um, wtf? Edward Norton is going to be the Hulk!

Edward Norton has been set by Marvel Studios to play Bruce Banner in "The Incredible Hulk."

The Louis Leterrier-directed drama will be distributed by Universal Pictures, with an opening set for June 13, 2008.

It is a decided return to the mainstream for Norton, who recently has starred in such indies as "Down in the Valley," "The Painted Veil," and "The Illusionist." Pic will shoot this summer in Toronto.

Norton takes over a role played in the Ang Lee-directed "Hulk" by Eric Bana. Though that film opened strongly, it didn?t fare as well as other Marvel efforts, including "Spider-Man," "X-Men," "Fantastic Four" and, most recently, "Ghost Rider."

Marvel Studios, which has a $525 million credit facility obtained through Merrill Lynch, made "The Incredible Hulk" its second film under that arrangement, and seeks to make a sequel that is less self-serious and more in line with the comic series and TV show. Leterrier directed the action-filled "Transporter 2," and "Unleashed."

The new pic begins with Banner on the run, trying to avoid capture long enough to cure the condition that turns him into a misunderstood green menace.

"Edward Norton is a rare talent and one of the most versatile actors in the business," Marvel Studios production president Kevin Feige said in a statement. "His ability to transform into a particular role makes him the ideal choice to take on the character of Bruce Banner and the Hulk. Edward is perfectly suited to bring one of the most popular and important Marvel icons to the bigscreen in a new and exciting way."

The script for "The Incredible Hulk" was written by Zak Penn, who had a hand in crafting two "X-Men" films, "Fantastic Four" and "Elektra" for Marvel.

"The Incredible Hulk" is being produced by Avi Arad, Gale Anne Hurd and Marvel?s Feige. Jim Van Wyck, David Maisel, Ari Arad and Stan Lee are exec producing.

Norton, who will next be seen starring with Colin Farrell in the Gavin O?Connor-directed New Line drama "Pride and Glory," is repped by Endeavor.

Source

hulk sucks but ...

Ant Man (character bio)

Writer/director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) will direct, and co-write with writing partner Joe Cornish, the feature film based on cult-favorite Ant Man. Edgar will also co-produce with his Big Talk Productions partner Nira Park.

I dont know who Ant Man is but I think Edgar is hillarious

Hulk was probably the WORST movie Marvel has put out since they started adapting their comics into big screen movies on a regular basis. Even DareDevil was better than Hulk. It was too serious, too boring. Not to mention about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be. I'm glad that they're giving it another shot with an entirely new cast.