Temple lands Top 15 football recruit

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

With his first recruits set to report for preseason camp on Aug. 2, new Temple football coach Al Golden is already putting together his class of '07.

Yesterday, highly recruited Daryl Robinson of North Catholic High became the latest high school senior to say he would cast his lot with the Owls when the national signing day rolls around in February.

Robinson, a 5-foot-9, 165-pound two-way back for the Falcons, originally made an oral commitment in April to defending Big East champ West Virginia.

"They wanted me to play running back, and I want to play the corner," Robinson said of West Virginia. "Also, I thought I rushed into it. I might play early at Temple, and I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I know they haven't had good records lately, but Coach Golden showed confidence that he is going to turn the program around."

While Golden cannot comment on recruits until they sign letters of intent next winter, Robinson will become the highest-rated Philadelphia football player to attend Temple in recent memory.

The only local athlete with similar credentials to pick the Owls in the last decade was Paulsboro's Kevin Harvey, who left Temple in 1999.

Robinson, who said he recently ran a 4.39-second 40-meter dash, was also recruited by Penn State, Maryland, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Rutgers.

He is the 15th-rated cornerback prospect in the nation, according to Scout.com. The Max Emfinger National Recruiting Service rates Robinson as one of the top 300 playmakers in the country. The Pittsburgh Sports Report has him at No. 23 on its 2006 list of top 50 Pennsylvania prospects. And the G&W Recruiting Report slots Robinson at No. 20 in the state.

In January, he was the only Philadelphian present at the 2006 U.S. Army National Combine in San Antonio, Texas.

"By far, Daryl is the best I've ever had," said North Catholic coach Charlie Szydlik, who spent four seasons at Father Judge before moving to the Falcons three years ago. "He has good feet, tremendous speed, and he works hard at getting himself better.

"I was excited when he told me he chose Temple. I've met Coach Golden a couple of times, and I was impressed. Daryl wants to be part of building a program."

As North Catholic struggled to a 1-12 finish last fall, Robinson made 61 tackles with five interceptions while rushing for 584 yards. He also had 19 receptions for 219 yards and 10 touchdowns, with two coming on kick returns.

Robinson joins running back Kitt Anderson of Neshaminy; quarterback Chester Stewart of DeMatha High in Hyattsville, Md.; and running back/defensive back Corwin Acker of James Hubert Blake High in Silver Spring, Md., as the first members of Temple's class of 2007.

Of course, they all must make it official on national signing day.

"My recruitment is over," Robinson said. "I'm done."

Guest FishFanInPA

I realize that but it's Temple and this guy committed to West Virginia and left for us.....Das, Passion and Mabdul know what this means as they are also fans of bad football teams.

He is the 15th-rated cornerback prospect in the nation, according to Scout.com. The Max Emfinger National Recruiting Service rates Robinson as one of the top 300 playmakers in the country. The Pittsburgh Sports Report has him at No. 23 on its 2006 list of top 50 Pennsylvania prospects. And the G&W Recruiting Report slots Robinson at No. 20 in the state.

some credentials there.