Borowski Value Q?

I don't follow the minors like many of you on here do and I don't get into the trade discussions but I have a couple of questions:

- if we trade Borowski straight up what type of minor league prospect (top / mid-level / crap) would he net us?

- if we keep him in '06 an offer him arbitration (so we can get compensatory picks) what would be a ballpark figure for his '07 arbitration salary if he accepts arbitration?

- would he be a Type A, B or C free agent?

- would the prospect he nets us be more or less valuable than the compensatory picks he would net us if he leaves as a free agent?

Trading him will more then likely bring more value then letting him walk.

With Atlanta back into it, and Brian McCann turning into an absolute animal, what about Jarrod Saltamacchia (I tried as hard as I could with the spelling). He's really struggling in double AA which has dropped his stock a little, but is still considered one of the top catching prospects in all of baseball. I know Atlanta is "in our division," but I really don't see use contending for 2 more years which is Borowski's lifespan as a player pretty much, and we can probably settle or longterm catching problem with the move.

I don't know. Just an idea. I'd rather move Borowski for a high ceiling catcher, then go after a less then perfect CF like Willy Taveras.

Id say it's better off trading him, as he'll probably be a B level free agent

should command about $3mil in arbi, Id say

He would not be going to arbitration, he's going to be a free agent after the season. I would definately trade him. As much as I like Joe, he's got some value right now and if we want to bring him back next year, he'll be available.

Here's my take on Borowski's value and I'm not saying I'm right, just an opinion.

I think Borowski "season" began Monday as we entered the last two weeks of non-waiver trading. Every consecutive save or win he accumulates from here through the end of the month increases his value eponentially. And in the alternative, every blown save or ninth inning loss by teams looking for closers and setup men also increases his value.

For example, were Eddie Guardado to blow two or three save opportunities over the next week, or worse his notorious shoulder gives out, that may increase the level of compensation Cincy might be willing to pay to get a Borowski.

Also one has to take into consideration how many other closers are made available and what their salaries and contracts look like. Where Borowski has a leg up (compensation-wise) is his low cost and year-end free agency may fit better with the short term plans of some teams than acquiring (for example) a guy at $5 million a year and a three year contract.

So I guess the answer is, there are lots of variables going into this two week period and depending on the team interested, compensation is directly related to need first, and their own success second.

As for what compensatory pick we would get, that really depends on how everyone else does and how he ranks at the end of the season. My understanding is an outside company (is it Elias or someone else?) will rank every potential free agent and that will determine what we might get.

I think the issue of who we might receive in exchange and their relative value vs draft choices really has more to do with what need they fill in the now, as opposed to additional draft pick(s) which may cost the Marlins more in signing bonus(es) than a ready for the big leagues prospect who will be making the MLB minimum for a couple of years at least.

In short, we'll have to see how it all plays out. I don't think anyone knows definitively.

Short of Mike Williams, Borowski's probably got the highest trade value of any reliever who figures to be made available and figures to slot into a set up role.

Unless the Reds-Nats trade was an aberration, Borowski figures to bring one high quality player back, better than the second round pick we'd net for him if we retain him, offer him arby and he signs elsewhere.

So, in short, unless Beinfest thinks Borowski figures prominently (read: closer or setup) in next year's team, he should be dealt for no less than one quality player, and if Majewski can bring Kearns in return, Borowski should net us (hopefully) that outfield prospect we so badly need.

Im all for keeping him ... he brings valuable experience and character to the bullpen

I dont care what it could bring the fish

I don't know. The guy's good. He throws hard. But he's not going to be the next Robb Nen for the Fish. It's doubtful he's going to have multiple 40 save seasons.

im not saying that but he would make a fairly cheap addition to the pen and has been a great influence on the bullpen

im not asking for Gagne im asking for a guy to do his work day in and out and thats exactly what he is doing

His value to the fish will never be higher then the next two weeks. Herges, Helms and Borowski are all for the market and the cheer for once from me (for first time in 4 years) is sell.

We need to prepare for 3 years down the road not right now.

Hear, hear!

:thumbup

I don't think we could get Saltamacchia (who is, according to BA, the Braves' best prospect), but we should be able to get someone pretty good. I think JoeBo has more value than Ron Villone did last year, and the Mariners were able to extract Yorman Bazardo from us.

Trading him will more then likely bring more value then letting him walk.

With Atlanta back into it, and Brian McCann turning into an absolute animal, what about Jarrod Saltamacchia (I tried as hard as I could with the spelling). He's really struggling in double AA which has dropped his stock a little, but is still considered one of the top catching prospects in all of baseball. I know Atlanta is "in our division," but I really don't see use contending for 2 more years which is Borowski's lifespan as a player pretty much, and we can probably settle or longterm catching problem with the move.

I don't know. Just an idea. I'd rather move Borowski for a high ceiling catcher, then go after a less then perfect CF like Willy Taveras.

Just call him Salty. I asked some Braves fans about his drop-off... he had a finger injury and that may have had something to do with it. This is the Braves, not the Cubs, so I don't think that trade would fly. I'm happy with Olivo so it would be better to get a CF but if one is not available then it would be nice to have a catcher in the pipeline. Taveras is of no interest to me.

Just call him Salty. I asked some Braves fans about his drop-off... he had a finger injury and that may have had something to do with it. This is the Braves, not the Cubs, so I don't think that trade would fly. I'm happy with Olivo so it would be better to get a CF but if one is not available then it would be nice to have a catcher in the pipeline. Taveras is of no interest to me.

I'm not so sure.

Bray and minor league junk = Felipe Lopez

Majewski = Austin Kearns

let's go farther

Otsuka (and eaton) = Chris Young AND Adrian Gonzalez (nice to see him bashing btw)

RP is nuts right now. It's just an idea. I see Salty becoming avaliable because McCann is flipping awesome. Granted his injury might have effected his stats, but he's playing horrible in the minors right now. He's a good "buy low" prospect based on his current season, the braves contending, and locating their catcher of the future in McCann. Maybe Borowski isn't enough, but the Braves could REALLY use him. They desperately need relievers right now where they might overspend to just get it done. I think its unlikely, but I think salty is a great trade target right now.

Sellers market right now for pen help. Probably could get the best deal for him now rather than do anything down the road with him. I'm not so sure he fits into the long range plan for the team either. I would put $$$ on if he does get traded it will be near the 31st when teams will be willing to part with more. I have total trust in Beinfest doing the best for the team.

I don't see him netting anything special via trade.

I see alot of contending teams with weak pens. I won't be surprised if we don't end up getting much for him just because he's not that great. But the demand is there, and I like the odds of Beinfest squeezing a solid deal out of this.

Atlanta traded catcher Max Ramirez, who was rated no.20 in their organization going into the year, for Bob Wickman (Indians). Wickman was having a slightly worse year than Borowski, 1-4, 4.18 era, 15 saves.

Wickman - Less saves, more blown saves, higher WHIP and ERA.

And Wickman's remaining 2006 salary is approximately $2.1 million, or roughly five times Borowski's.