Should the Marlins pursue Jim Edmonds next season?

Edmonds says he's 'in limbo'

By Joe Strauss

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

08/09/2006

"CINCINNATI ? Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds insists he will play next season but says he has resigned himself to the probability that it will be in a different uniform.

His playing time diminished against lefthanded pitching, Edmonds on Tuesday said the club has placed him "in limbo" regarding its willingness to assume his contract's $10 million option for next season. The 2004 Silver Slugger recipient admitted frustration over a matter he once believed would be resolved by now.

Edmonds now believes that it's more likely the Cardinals will pay him a $3 million buyout rather than assume the option.

"That's the vibe I've been given," Edmonds said two hours before the second of the Cardinals' four-game series against the Cincinnati Reds. "It still is their option and it still is a decision that has to be formally made. But that seems to be where it's going."

The previous two seasons Edmonds hinted broadly about the approaching end of his career and had previously sounded indifferent to what might happen if the club chose not to exercise its option.

On Tuesday, Edmonds insisted he is committed to playing at least one and possibly two more seasons.

"I've always had that decision. But I've always wanted to play next year. I wanted to play my contract out" with the Cardinals, Edmonds said.

Edmonds said he long interpreted his connection to the club as more than a business relationship between a company and its employee. As part of that connection, Edmonds donated $1 million -- $200,000 each season from 2001-05 to the team's charitable arm, Cardinals Care. Cardinals Care unveiled Jim Edmonds Field in June 2001 in Forest Park Southeast. Edmonds also agreed to defer money from each season of his current deal.

"I did a lot of things to sign here. I gave a lot of things back," said Edmonds, who agreed to a six-year contract extension plus the club option on May 12, 2000. "I must have been na?ve about it. I did those things to prove that I wanted to play here and care for this organization.

"I just thought I would play that contract out. Now being in limbo, I don't really know what's going to happen."

Club sources have admitted taking a wait-and-see approach about the option. Edmonds is coming off what he conceded to be his worst season as a Cardinal in 2005 (.263, 29 home runs, 89 RBIs) and has struggled for traction this year. The career .291 hitter entered Tuesday hitting .260 with 16 home runs and 59 RBIs.

Regarding his reaction to an absence of information from the club, Edmonds said, "I wouldn't say disillusioned; maybe frustrated by being left in the dark."

At least one member of the team's ownership group assured Edmonds in spring training that the club would pick up the option. Edmonds says he has heard nothing since. Asked if he took the March assurance at face value, Edmonds said, "I used to."

"I'm not really going to say anything more," Edmonds added. "I was real concerned about it, obviously, trying to figure out what the team was going to do. I have a lot of things in St. Louis I would have to take care of when I leave. We'll have to deal with it when it comes."

Edmonds 36, also became a father for the third time earlier this year, which has added to his perspective.

"Right now, I'm just concerned with taking care of my family," he said. "I have another child now. It's one more concern that I have in trying to keep my family together. That will have something to do in my thinking about what I do next."

Edmonds confirmed Tuesday that he would undergo right shoulder surgery shortly after the season ends to repair a partially torn rotator cuff, to remove bone spurs and to address an irregular joint. The eight-time Gold Glove Award winner underwent a similar procedure on his left shoulder after the 2003 season and says he has experienced no ill effects since.

"I've talked to a doctor about it already and have been assured there will be no further problems with it" after surgery, Edmonds said. "He thinks it will go as well as the other one did. I'm pretty excited about it, actually."

Edmonds was again out of the lineup against a lefthanded starting pitcher Tuesday as manager Tony La Russa opted to play So Taguchi in center against Eric Milton.

La Russa has resisted describing the situation as a platoon. "I'm not going to say anything about it," Edmonds said."

Something else : he is a West Coast Guy (born and raised in Fullerton CA).

My thinking is he would prefer a team west of the Mississippi. Although he's never married he has a daughter (about 7 or 8 now) and a 6 month old son by the same girlfriend he's had a relationship with for many years now, and they live in California.

god i hate jim edmonds

Any reason ?