Could the Glass Slipper work?

CapeFish

a glass roof would not be cheap not to mention the code requirements regarding hurricanes.

As far as labatt stadium remember that loria did not know about this stuff til a week ago.

I never said it was cheap or that it was on the table.....just that it would be an interesting solution to the problem. Now if you could spill some details you would clear up many issues. :lol

One of the problems one runs into with an enclosed venue down here, in this case one with approximately 40,000 seats, is the cost of climate control, air conditioning and dehumidifying the place.

There are many, many beautiful nights in South Florida where an open air stadium would suffice and in many ways would enhance the fan experience. The objective of a retractable roof is guarantee fans comfort regardless of the weather, and in the longrun is more economical to operate. By "doming" the venue, you are driving operating costs through the roof (no pun intended).

I'd like to remind everyone the AstroDome has survived several storms well enough.

I'd also like to remind everyone the costs of keeping a space air conditioned instead of having it open, close, and then re-air condition should be less theoretically.

Wrong.

In a perfect world perhaps, but not in south florida. If that were the case then all stadiums with retractable roofs would be domed instead. Look at Chase, there's reason they open and close their stadium and it's economics. Ditto Houston. Large, highly efficient cooling systems make a retractable roof cost effective and keep down utility usage.

You simply don't understand the massing of the building, the heat load, the humid air, the cost of running air conditioning 365 days a year, 24 hours a day unless you want mold and various other officious problems plaguing your facility, which btw were a major problem inside the Astrodome from day one.

I am wondering how Miami plans to meet the Marlins/County requirement of a roof then. The land just isn't there for a traditional roof....are they going to do a moonroof on it?

It just makes no sense.

Seattle has no A/C or walls....the roof just covers the field and fans. One like that made of a transparent material could be feasable.

"The land just isn't there for a traditional roof"

very true.

So what is the solution in your mind?

If I remember correctly, the original Bi-Centennial Park rendering showed a clamshell-like roof structure that sections folded in on themselves, one under another, providing shade to the upperdeck.

I'm sure someone has a pic of it kicking around.

Don't know if something like that might be cost effective in today's economy or not. Obviously building a single roof structure that moves on rails is going to be cheaper. And another thought, just pie in the sky, thinking outside the box, perhaps there are "air rights" available so the roof might actually retract over an adjacent property. Crazier things have happened.

very true.

So what is the solution in your mind?

If I remember correctly, the original Bi-Centennial Park rendering showed a clamshell-like roof structure that sections folded in on themselves, one under another, providing shade to the upperdeck.

I'm sure someone has a pic of it kicking around.

Don't know if something like that might be cost effective in today's economy or not. Obviously building a single roof structure that moves on rails is going to be cheaper. And another thought, just pie in the sky, thinking outside the box, perhaps there are "air rights" available so the roof might actually retract over an adjacent property. Crazier things have happened.

this type of roof isnt exactly new. minute maid and safeco use a similar roof, even milwaukee buts that's fan shaped.

you dont have to pay for "air rights" if you build a portion of the track for the roof over the metrorail tracks.

very true.

So what is the solution in your mind? And another thought, just pie in the sky, thinking outside the box, perhaps there are "air rights" available so the roof might actually retract over an adjacent property. Crazier things have happened.

I was thinking of this same exact thing. If it would be possible to have the roof retract over an adjacent building. Like you said crazier things have happened.

I am wondering how Miami plans to meet the Marlins/County requirement of a roof then. The land just isn't there for a traditional roof....are they going to do a moonroof on it?

It just makes no sense.

Seattle has no A/C or walls....the roof just covers the field and fans. One like that made of a transparent material could be feasable.

putting a transparent roof over the stadium with no climate control is ridiculous. the last thing we need over the stadium is a giant transparent material in the 95 degree heat.

Wouldn't having a glass roof lead to some type of crazy glare and such? Perhaps we can borrow some of that cool glass that they had in The Sum of All Fears that could change from opaque to translucent, but I'm not sure how that technology works if it even exists.

I'll pass. It would almost certainly be as costly as a retractable roof. Plus, it would need MUCH more maintenance than any other roof. I agree that a hurricane would obliterate a roof like that, and in the hurricane alley that is Florida, you just never know when one will hit.

I agree that if we get a new stadium, we MUST have a retractable roof. It's absolutely a deal breaker in a city like this one.

Wouldn't having a glass roof lead to some type of crazy glare and such? Perhaps we can borrow some of that cool glass that they had in The Sum of All Fears that could change from opaque to translucent, but I'm not sure how that technology works if it even exists.

i believe that technology deals with adding an electrical current to a certain gas in between two sheets of glass. but it does exist, ive seen it before