Baseball strategery discussion from last night

Ramp

Two things really...

1. What did you guys make of Dan Uggla bunting in the first inning with Hanley on 2b and no outs? I happen to think that is absolute nonsense. Why on earth is a .280/20hr guy bunting in the first inning? Drive the man in yourself Dan, come on. I assume this is Uggla's call, and not Joe's but I think Joe needs to tell Dan to stop giving away outs when he has the absility to drive in the man himself.

2. Why did we suicide squeeze? You have Jason Marquis on the mound who was all over the place, and you have a pitcher and the plate who can swing the bat fairly well. I happen to think that was Girardi trying to pull a "LaRussa" in front of his old manager.

thoughts...

#1 It's kind of a toss up to me, we wanted to get ahead early and I suppose thats what was going through Uggla's head. He prolly did that on his own also.

#2 The suicide squeeze was dumb IMO like u said Marquis just wasnt consistently throwing strikes and Nolasco would have had a better chance of putting the ball in play at that moment then trying to lay down a suicide.

1) Strategy's different for the road team. Marlins are on a hot streak, team's playing well, want to keep the good times rolling. I like the call on the road at home's a different story. No complaints here (and I think Joe put it on, that's a Torre move, too).

2) I wasn't crazy about this, but with the lead and the runner on third (I didn't see this inning on TV, but I assume the infield was back) and a situation conducive to the bunt, I' can see why you go for it. Getting something like that to work is far more deflating for the other team than it is for your own if you fail.

Two things really...

1. What did you guys make of Dan Uggla bunting in the first inning with Hanley on 2b and no outs? I happen to think that is absolute nonsense. Why on earth is a .280/20hr guy bunting in the first inning? Drive the man in yourself Dan, come on. I assume this is Uggla's call, and not Joe's but I think Joe needs to tell Dan to stop giving away outs when he has the absility to drive in the man himself.

2. Why did we suicide squeeze? You have Jason Marquis on the mound who was all over the place, and you have a pitcher and the plate who can swing the bat fairly well. I happen to think that was Girardi trying to pull a "LaRussa" in front of his old manager.

thoughts...

1. I was flipping between games and didn't flip back until the ball was in play.. was he trying to bunt for a hit or was it a sac bunt all the way?

2. Didn't like it but not a big deal.

1. I think stats show that bunting the runner over is only a good move late in ball games when increasing the chance of scoring 1 run is more important than an opportunity to score many runs. In the first inning this is a horrible move. If Girardi put on the bunt it's really a bad move.

2. With the pitcher up it's not a bad call. I didn't see it except for the highlights, so my question is was it a "suicide" squeeze? If it was, there's no way we shouldn't of scored the run. The only time suicide squeezes really fail is when the hitter doesn't get the bunt down. I'm guessing it must have been a safety squeeze.

1) Bunting in the first inning (first 3 innings for that matter) against a non-dominating pitcher is ridonkulous. We gave Marquis an out.

It was made worse by the fact that it was Uggla. If Hermida is bunting there then Im not gonna cry about it.

And look what the final score was. It was a freakin football score.

2) If anyone knows me on this board, they know that I defend Girardi till Im blue in the face.

With that said, last nite was not his finest hour. The squeeze play was awful. Again, no need. Plenty of baseball left against a non-dominating pitcher.

And how in the world did someone not get plunked for the Cabrera incident?! Someone needs to catch a baseball in the back for that one. End of story.

Maybe (but its a small maybe) Girardi is waiting for tonite so as to not make it an obvious retaliation. But I doubt it.

Eye for an eye Joe. You were a catcher you should know better than that.

BTW, good thread Ramp.

The suicide squeeze was absolutely retarded and overmanaging. Let him try to put the ball in play, if he can't Hanley is behind him and has been hot. Instead we give away an out and a run and Hanley ends the inning on deck.

After taking a four run lead and having Miguel Cabrera knocked out of the game, you hit Pujols when he leads off the next inning. Set a damn example for your team and stand up for your player.

It also annoyed me when they showed Pinto stand up in the pen with two outs in the seventh inning. The game is now out of hand and you get a guy who can provide long relief up with 4 outs left? Maybe this would've been a better thought after Nolasco gave up a four run inning.

1. That was Uggla's decision. It seemed to me, by its direction, to be a poor atttempt at bunting for a base hit. Makes no sense for the reasons others have stated. NO manager would have called a bunt in those circumstances.

2. The suicide squeeze was fine. It was a fluke that it didn't work. It would have been a mistake with any other batter at the plate, but in the circumstances (which we don't know all of) it was acceptable strategy. You can't judge it by the freak almost wild pitch that the catcher made a great play to stop and then apply the tag. It is a call that would have resulted in a run 99 times out of 100. With the pitcher up. That's the definition of a good call.

3. The comment that Pujols should have been hit in "retaliation" for the accidental plinking of Cabrera is absurd.

1. That was Uggla's decision. It seemed to me, by its direction, to be a poor atttempt at bunting for a base hit. I think it was a mistake for the reasons others have stated. But it did move Hanley to third so he could score on the Cabrera grounder. We don't know what would have happened if he had swung away, but the bunt helped score the run.

2. The suicide squeeze was fine. It was a fluke that it didn't work. It would have been a mistake with any other batter at the plate, but in the circumstances it was acceptable strategy. You can't judge it by the freak almost wild pitch that the catcher made a great play to stop and then apply the tag. It is a call that would have resulted in a run 99 times out of 100. With the pitcher up. That's the definition of a good call.

3. The comment that Pujols should have been hit in "retaliation" for the accidental plinking of Cabrera is absurd.

1. I disagree with any bunt unless you're playing for the one run that you feel will win the game for you. So I disagree on the Uggla bunt.

2, I disagree on the squeeze. Marquis was struggling and this also falls into the "no bunt" category listed above.

3. I'm sorry I didn't take the 20/1 offered on Ramp last night. I always bet longshots.

4. The retaliatory plunk is part of the game, like it or not. I expect to see the retaliation against Pujols tonite.

#1. Uggla bunting in the 1st inning with Ramirez at second with no outs was NOT a good move. Yes, he ended up scoring but we gave away an out. The runner is already at second so there is no possible grounding into a DP. Going to the opposite field is what should be done. If the batter can't get the ball out of the infield, the runner at second still goes to third but at least you give the batter a chance to get a hit and an RBI while not giving away an out.

#2. With a runner at third with one out and the pitcher at the plate, a squeeze is a good play. Nolasco has a greater chance of striking out or grounding out than a regular position player. Might as well make the pitcher bunt and have a run score. Perhaps a safety squeeze would have been a better call, but I have no problem with a squeeze in that scenario.