The Hobbit

EndLine

TheOneRing.net is a dedicated fansite for Lord of the Rings, and it seems as though they may have scooped some major news regarding the prequel everyone has been waiting for since Return left theaters. A nameless tipster emailed the site, claiming to have just departed New Line's New York studios after "discussing upcoming projects" -- and while there, he or she got an eyeful of New Line's future schedule. (Either this tipster is a relatively important person or New Line just leaves these things laying around the office.) At any rate, the tipster claims to have seen The Hobbit "clearly marked on what looked like July 2007."

So are we nearing the beginning for our next (and final) hobbit film? With Peter Jackson being such a busy fellow, is it fair to assume he's going to make time for a return to Middle Earth? And who gets to be Bilbo this time? Lots of unanswered questions, but perhaps we are on the verge of having a few of them answered. As always, take the anonymous tipster lightly until we get further confirmation, and stay tuned to Cinematical for more updates as they become available.

I wanna see the battle of the five armies :)

Isildur? Didn't they show part of that in LOTR 2?

Isildur doesn't have anything to do with the Battle of the Five Armies. And the footage in The Two Towers was of the battle in Mordor where Isildur took the ring from Sauron. The Battle of the Five Armies was fought on the Lonely Mountain much, much later.

Isildur doesn't have anything to do with the Battle of the Five Armies. And the footage in The Two Towers was of the battle in Mordor where Isildur took the ring from Sauron. The Battle of the Five Armies was fought on the Lonely Mountain much, much later.

Wait...Damnit I'm getting confused. I thought the 5 armies fight and in that battle isildur steals the ring. Either way, I haven't read the book in like 6 years, so forgive my ignorance.

• 2 months later...

"The Lord of the Rings" fansite TheOneRing.net has received an official statement from Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh about The Hobbit. The two have made it clear that New Line has passed them up, due to Wingnut Films' lawsuit against the studio regarding "The Fellowship of the Ring," and that the studio is looking for a new director to take on The Hobbit and a mystery second "Lord of the Rings" prequel. Here's a clip:

Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

lol that's just funny. Award winning director doesn't get the bid for the prequels? I find that a bit absurd.

And regarding the 'mystery' 2nd film, it's pretty obvious they are going to 'try' to consolidate 'Silmarillion' somehow into one movie (impossible). More likely they'll take the last 1/4 of the book or something and start from there. Although the Silmarillion itself would make a fantastic 4 or 5 part epic :mischief

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FlummoxedLummox

Wait...Damnit I'm getting confused. I thought the 5 armies fight and in that battle isildur steals the ring. Either way, I haven't read the book in like 6 years, so forgive my ignorance.

If I remember correctly the battle of the five armies consisted of: (1) Thorin Oakenshield and the other Dwarfs in Bilbo's group, along with the Dwarf army brought by Thorin's cousin Dain (2) The Humans of Laketown (3) The Elves of Mirkwood (4) The Goblins and Wargs -- in the Hobbit, Orcs were called Goblins and Wargs were their wolf-steeds (5) The great Eagles.

I haven't read the book in a long time, but when I was in elementary school I devoured everything Tolkien. Hopefully this is accurate.

It would be interesting to note that before LOTR, Tolkien pluralized Dwarf as Dwarfs. Not until LOTR did the pluralization become Dwarves. According to one of the annotated versions of the Hobbit I have, he made the change because of a suggestion he got in a fan letter. (I just remembered that as I was writing, so I thought I'd share)

EDIT: Is that as shamefully nerdy as it sounds?

If I remember correctly the battle of the five armies consisted of: (1) Thorin Oakenshield and the other Dwarfs in Bilbo's group, along with the Dwarf army brought by Thorin's cousin Dain (2) The Humans of Laketown (3) The Elves of Mirkwood (4) The Goblins and Wargs -- in the Hobbit, Orcs were called Goblins and Wargs were their wolf-steeds (5) The great Eagles.

I haven't read the book in a long time, but when I was in elementary school I devoured everything Tolkien. Hopefully this is accurate.

It would be interesting to note that before LOTR, Tolkien pluralized Dwarf as Dwarfs. Not until LOTR did the pluralization become Dwarves. According to one of the annotated versions of the Hobbit I have, he made the change because of a suggestion he got in a fan letter. (I just remembered that as I was writing, so I thought I'd share)

You are correct sir.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

you read LOTR in elementary school?

In 5th grade I made a diorama of the Two Towers. It is, to this day, my crowning scholastic achievment.

In 5th grade I made a diorama of the Two Towers. It is, to this day, my crowning scholastic achievment.

In 5th grade I was reading about Anne Rice's sexual innuendos.

Her sleeping beauty series?

completely correct including the nerdy part :)

must see smaug :)

In 5th grade I was reading about Anne Rice's sexual innuendos.

Her sleeping beauty series?

completely correct including the nerdy part :)

must see smaug :)

Man someone has to be slipping me something. I meant to say Anne Frank.