Promote the Marlins

Strike 3

This is a topic often discussed on this board. I think Ms. Cruz-Scafidi is absolutely right about the media.

Herald

Promote the Marlins

Re Greg Cote's Sept. 5 column, Fans missing the magic: My family and I have been big Marlins fans for years. We watch every game on TV or listen to the play-by-play on the radio.

We would love to go to the games, but living close to Homestead, gas is too expensive for the round trip to the ballpark. Add the cost of the tickets, and it's not in our budget, though once in a while, when we have extra money, we go to a Marlins game.

That said, I found the column ironic. Marlins coverage by the media, including The Miami Herald, is less than stellar. Sure, the paper reports game summaries and has the Marlins Notebook. But it is the first team to be over .500 after being down 20 games. Where is the hoopla? Now that football is here, the stories are relegated to a back page.

We know that the media can be the catalyst for creating hysteria, especially with sports, so why not take action? Start the hysteria, so the fans can catch on. This team, above all others in Miami, deserves it. It has fought hard for it against all odds.

CATHY CRUZ-SCAFIDI, Miami

I agree. When the Fish got to .500 I expected a nice picture on the front but all I got was a "Oh the Fish are at .500". There was only 1 freakn article????

But what about the full front page story in the Herald on cricket the other day. Mass appeal for that one. Page one-how absurd.

OMG, how could I forget about that?! I'm glad I wasn't the only one completely in shock that this was front page news! Of course, the Marlins making history could never compete with stuff like that!

what all teams from miami need...is...biased writing...where is our bob ryan or mike wilbon? id be willing to bet my xbox 360 that 90% of sports writers in miami are from elsewhere in the country...meaning that they dont know jack sh*t about miami fans...we need someone to come in and tell all of south florida how great a franchise we have in the marlins day in, day out...and so on and so forth...and we need our tommy heinson's and harry carey's in booth...someone who is soooo far on the side of miami's teams, that it is borderline racist...until that happens...us true fans will always have something to bitch about because the local media, is more like the boston globe south

what all teams from miami need...is...biased writing...where is our bob ryan or mike wilbon? id be willing to bet my xbox 360 that 90% of sports writers in miami are from elsewhere in the country...meaning that they dont know jack sh*t about miami fans...we need someone to come in and tell all of south florida how great a franchise we have in the marlins day in, day out...and so on and so forth...and we need our tommy heinson's and harry carey's in booth...someone who is soooo far on the side of miami's teams, that it is borderline racist...until that happens...us true fans will always have something to bitch about because the local media, is more like the boston globe south

From what few home games I watch on TV and the away games I see Tommy Hutton is always blasting fans that don't come to the games. I like our broadcasting team. They may not be waaayyyy overboard and prejudiced but they do a very fine job. However, Craig could take a hike and it wqouldn't bother me a bit.

It's not just Miami writers. It's the entire South Florida news media. I constantly get ticked off at the PBP for their biased articles. Once in a while you will read something that is pro Marlins but it is not the norm.

From what few home games I watch on TV and the away games I see Tommy Hutton is always blasting fans that don't come to the games. I like our broadcasting team. They may not be waaayyyy overboard and prejudiced but they do a very fine job. However, Craig could take a hike and it wqouldn't bother me a bit.

It's not just Miami writers. It's the entire South Florida news media. I constantly get ticked off at the PBP for their biased articles. Once in a while you will read something that is pro Marlins but it is not the norm.

Just seems to be the pattern for all aspects of "journalism". Being negative gets a writer noticed even if he/she does not believe in what they are writing. Just take a contrarian view, just as long as it gets a buzz, then regardless of the merits, its a successful article. I agree with your about the broadcast team, they do a credible, professional job and yes, they are frustrated at the attendance and are doing all they can-but hey, give Minervini a break, he is going through some tough times with Martha.

This reminds me of when Dan LeBatard had Samson on the radio yesterday. LeBatard wanted Samson's reaction to the Sun-Sentinel article that David Hyde wrote about him (the "Samson is a pervert" article). Samson said that he has been saying all that stuff for 2 years and now, when the Fish are doing really good things, this article is written. He said that there must be some kind of conspiracy. And it's true. The Fish are doing amazing things and this is what the media can come up with? Come on now.

the marlins marketing department (if it even exists) is awful.

i've never once seen a tv commercial for a marlins game other than on FSN. i don't remember seeing newspaper ads or billboards or anything.

it shows people aren't gonna go just because a team exists, they need to know whats up with the team to give a f*** about them.

I'm a tremendous Samson hater of the highest calibre but the recent exposes on him reeked of a concerted effort to undermine the Marlins' success.

Yes but you have to admit he doesn't help the cause and just gives them ammunition. In fact, I wonder what exactly it is that he does for the team that has any value.

the marlins marketing department (if it even exists) is awful.

i've never once seen a tv commercial for a marlins game other than on FSN. i don't remember seeing newspaper ads or billboards or anything.

it shows people aren't gonna go just because a team exists, they need to know whats up with the team to give a f*** about them.

The billboards are in Miami. The only one I can remember that I haven't seen switched out is on Okechobee in Hialeah, across the street from where you turn in to get to Walmart. Go figure....

I'm a tremendous Samson hater of the highest calibre but the recent exposes on him reeked of a concerted effort to undermine the Marlins' success.

Yes but you have to admit he doesn't help the cause and just gives them ammunition. In fact, I wonder what exactly it is that he does for the team that has any value.

As they have in the past, they'll make sh*t up if necessary.