Thoughts on tonight's game

Ramp

WTF?!?!?!?

last straw time for Joe Girardi tonight

Im sorry but the crap he pulled tonight was so unbelievable. I still can't believe it.

• WHY IN GOD'S NAME ARE WE PITCHING TO RYAN HOWARD? This guy is absolutely locked in. He crushed a double early in the game. He then belts a homerun to left field. Why are we still pitching to this guy? He then crushes a homerun to RF? WHY IS GIRARDI SO DAMN STUBBORN?
  • Why didnt we hit Howard after they hit Cabs? You know damn well Scotty O wanted to hit him. Sigh
  • I know I pile on Alfredo Amezaga alot, but he is not a very good CFer. Maybe it was just a bad night, but the jumps he got tonight were atrocious.
  • WHY IS AMEZAGA EVEN PLAYING TONIGHT? He cant hit lefties for his freaking life. Was anyone shocked he couldnt get the run in in the 2nd inning? Of course you werent. He cant drive in runs save for his hit in Milwaukee last weekend.
  • Why is Amezaga hitting in the 8th inning? Again, he cant hit lefties. We had a man on and Cody Ross has homerun power. Absolutely nonsense tonight.

Im so damn angry.... what's everyone else think?

I was writing this because I was aghast to come home and not find any comments on tonight's game but since this thread has been started, here's my two cents worth.

I don't believe I have questioned Joe Girardi even once this season when it came to managing the ballclub. Throughout the first half of the season I staunchly refused to comment on Joe's moves giving him the benefit of the doubt at every turn. And after the ASG, with the Marlins winning much more than losing, I continued to subscribe to the notion that Joe knew best.

I believe generally, whether it's a first place or last place team, managers and coaches are better informed and more astute than I am, and so sitting there tonight watching the second managerial fiasco in two nights I wondered out loud why is Joe pulling the strings the way he is.

Why the hell does Joe find it necessary to pitch Ryan Howard, arguably the hottest hitter in the National League (if not all of baseball) with a .500 BA and seven homeruns in the last ten days, with or without men on, is beyond me. Is there anyone this side of Sri Lanka who doesn't know how hot Howard is? Obviously Joe didn't, or worse he doesn't care.

And why is he pinch-hitting Jacobs for Helms who had already gone 2-3 tonight when *Wes is almost as hot as Howard with 11 hits in his last 21 at bats? Jacobs by the way is batting .250 over the same period.

Maybe Joe is a slow learner (and I know he isn't) but if he didn't learn anything last night, he certainly should have after letting Olsen pitch to Howard with a man on in the sixth. Howard after all was responsible for all the Phillies' runs tonight. Pitching to him with men on base should be a criminal offense.

To be fair, it's hard to win a game when your team scores one run in eight innings and another on a fluke in the ninth. Am I being too harsh on Joe? That's for others to decide. But dammit, Joe if you pitch to Howard tomorrow every fan in South Florida should know you have given up on this team, that you're just playing out the string.

* edit

Guest FlummoxedLummox

And why is he pinch-hitting Jacobs for Helms who had already gone 2-3 tonight when Joe is almost as hot as Howard with 11 hits in his last 21 at bats? Jacobs by the way is batting .250 over the same period.

Yup.

Plus, that leaves your bench empty of any power threats if you get further into the lineup.

WTF?!?!?!?

last straw time for Joe Girardi tonight

Im sorry but the crap he pulled tonight was so unbelievable. I still can't believe it.

• WHY IN GOD'S NAME ARE WE PITCHING TO RYAN HOWARD? This guy is absolutely locked in. He crushed a double early in the game. He then belts a homerun to left field. Why are we still pitching to this guy? He then crushes a homerun to RF? WHY IS GIRARDI SO DAMN STUBBORN?
  • Why didnt we hit Howard after they hit Cabs? You know damn well Scotty O wanted to hit him. Sigh
  • I know I pile on Alfredo Amezaga alot, but he is not a very good CFer. Maybe it was just a bad night, but the jumps he got tonight were atrocious.
  • WHY IS AMEZAGA EVEN PLAYING TONIGHT? He cant hit lefties for his freaking life. Was anyone shocked he couldnt get the run in in the 2nd inning? Of course you werent. He cant drive in runs save for his hit in Milwaukee last weekend.
  • Why is Amezaga hitting in the 8th inning? Again, he cant hit lefties. We had a man on and Cody Ross has homerun power. Absolutely nonsense tonight.

Im so damn angry.... what's everyone else think?

I was at the game tonight (upper deck), so it was hard for me to see what kind of pitches Olsen was throwing to Howard, but yeah, I have no idea why they were pitching to him, especially before his last home run.

Howard has struck out close to 160 times this yr; Olsen should have been throwing balls in the dirt, low and away. If he walks, he walks. Who cares. You then have Howard at first with 1 out.

Not really into the whole retaliation thing regarding intentionally hitting a batter, but that's just me.

Regarding Amezaga, is Ross injured or something? I like Mezzy, but as you pointed out, he doesn't hit well from the left side.

Frustrating game. Really frustrating. Our offense just didn't have it tonight.

I'm so frustrated watching the Phillies own our asses this year and Mr freakin Marlin raking the ball for the Phils. Just gives me a bad taste in my mouth. I think I am more pissed Helms was pinch hit for late in the game for Jake and Borchard was left in to end the game.

We had a real good chance to do something there in the 9th.

That still doesn't explain why we were pitching to Howard at all. We really need to take these next 2 games and Joe better learn his lesson on not pitching to Howard tomorrow with the Pitching Machine on the mound.

I don't want to type anymore...I did a full recap and opinions on the game on my blog if anyones interested. Pretty much just me slamming Joe's decisions tonight. http://www.sportech.info/2006/09/08/marlins-slipping/

Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening. Scarface is on AMC.

And why is he pinch-hitting Jacobs for Helms who had already gone 2-3 tonight when *Wes is almost as hot as Howard with 11 hits in his last 21 at bats? Jacobs by the way is batting .250 over the same period.

He really likes that lefty/righty thing I guess. I didn't really mind this much, true it did make me think to myself for a minute why but it wasn't as insane as pitching to Ryan Howard constantly.

1. You don't let a hot Howard beat you.

2. As has been said, Amezaga is not a CF'er. He twists and turns on flyballs and has turned quite a few doubled into triples because he takes a bad angle on the ball. Not a knock on him, it's a new position...but he should hardly ever be in CF and NEVER as a right handed batter.

3. Close & Late: Helms 44ABs .432 2HR 11rbi, Jacons 57AB .281 1HR 11rbi

I give Joe a ton of credit for his ability to keep the teams positive through the growing pains and the knack for sticking with players when it looked bleak...only to see them turn it around. But all in all he is a dreadful gameday manager.

And finally Hutton spent more time discussing the game and Joe's mistakes rather than attendance.

I give Joe a ton of credit for his ability to keep the teams positive through the growing pains and the knack for sticking with players when it looked bleak...only to see them turn it around. But all in all he is a dreadful gameday manager.

One has to wonder whether this series causes the team to give up on their manager, who some could argue has betrayed them. For all the reasons mentioned above, it's likes sending your team into a hatchet fight without a hatchet.