From bad to worse in Boston

TSwift25

Ortiz says he should still be considered for MVP

ESPN.com news services

David Ortiz, the American League leader in home runs and RBI, says Boston's fall from the American League playoff race should not disqualify him from the race for the AL's Most Valuable Player award.

David Ortiz

Designated Httr

Boston Red Sox

2006 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

133 48 127 103 .402 .288

But Ortiz told reporters after the Red Sox's 9-3 win over the Royals on Sunday that he thinks that's what's going to happen.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz said. "If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBI [which would give him 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have."

"But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about [Derek] Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Ortiz said if he had a vote, he might cast it for Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox, or Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins.

"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

"Morneau, he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is."

Ortiz also noted that Alex Rodriguez won the MVP in 2003, despite the fact his Texas Rangers finished last in the AL West. That season, A-Rod hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI.

"I'm right there," he said, "but I'm not going to win it. They give it to [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it."

Not exactly where your head should be, David.

I have no idea what the title of this thread has to do with this article or what it means in general.

Anyways, he was asked these questions. He didn't set up a press conference to voice this he was interviewed and he responded in an honest and reasonable way. He's frusturated in more ways then one. He gave great due and respect to three players.

Yawn.

I have no idea what the title of this thread has to do with this article or what it means in general.

Anyways, he was asked these questions. He didn't set up a press conference to voice this he was interviewed and he responded in an honest and reasonable way. He's frusturated in more ways then one. He gave great due and respect to three players.

Yawn.

So a season that has been a catastrophic disappointment doesn't just come full circle when the team's most recognizable player ditches his jovial attitude to berate other, equally deserving players.

I'm sorry, but any guy who's worried about his own accolades when a season's gone to sh*t has no business mouthing off, nor would I want that kind of player on my team if I were trying to win.

Catastrophic dissapointment? Depends how much you know about the team. Upper managment certaintly isn't suprised by how this team has turned out this season. I'm not that suprised either. But I guess you get sucked into the ESPN and pundit view of the Sox.

I love how this article not suprisingly leaves off some key quotes to set up the rest. When asked what chance he had for the MVP he held up a zero with his hand:

"I don't worry about [the MVP],"

"All I like to do is have a good season," he said. "If I have a good season, that's my MVP."

Doesn't seem like a guy who is concerned with his own accolades. But what a shocker you have posted this article with this misleading title because of your disdain for the Sox.

Also, how is he 'berating' anyone when he says Jeter is a great player having a great season. Do you know the definition of the word berate?

Joke.

Implying he's superior to all the candidates by saying "that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have" sure sounds to me as if he's going out and trashing other people.

Then dragging ARod's name into the discussion regarding the '03 MVP certainly tells me he's thinking about it.

I actually could care less about the Red Sox, it's their fans I hate, and it seems like the whining sense of entitlement from their fans stems from the man they've put on a pedistal.

Mountain out of a molehill.

He brings up A-Rod because of people saying that the Sox not making the playoffs doesn't include him. Context. Context.

I hope that one of his goals is to try to win a MVP. I don't know what player doesn't or wouldn't want to win a MVP. For him to be MVP he has to drive people in and hit the ball out of the park how in the hell can anyone say that that is detrimental to the team?

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill and your stance on this, yet your love for Barry Bonds has to be one of the most hypocritical things ever to be posted on this board.

Hypocritical?

Use the dictionary much?

a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

What does Barry Bonds have to do with this?

How does anything I've said about Bonds change the fact that Red Sox fans are whining bitches and now their players are no different. Does it belie (which, in case you don't know means contradict, and I can break that down monosylobically if need be) anything I've said? Ummm...no, and if it has, please enlighten me oh enlightened one since apparently your opinion is all that matters and certainly supercedes (oops, sorry, is better than) mine.

I have to agree with TSwift here. Fox, you say it doesn't look like he's concerned with his own accolades? Did you read the article? Of course he's concerned! He comes across as selfish and preoccupied to me.

Ortiz could have answered the MVP question easily. All he had to do is say, "Yes, I feel I deserve consideration, and I think my numbers speak for themselves." Instead he comes off as pompous and selfish, and berates other players, especially Jeter. Just doesn't sound good for the normally charismatic, fun-loving guy. But I do agree that a lot of it is out of frustration.

Awesome, you can always tell when feathers are ruffled when you go to the extreme end of a spectrum and then post a rant trying to 'dumb down' the opposing poster. You have to be one of the easiest people to rile up on this forum. When things don't go your way or agitate you, you make a big scene and spew non-pertinent bulls***.

You revile Ortiz for some warped reason because he wants to win a MVP which in turn helps his team but on the other hand you extol whatever Barry Bonds does even though he is widely considered one of the most selfish and self-serving players of all time and one who next year will be playing strictly for a record and not for any team success, which he has never all the way tasted in his career.

If you are getting this riled up because of these simple quotes which simply gave you a green light to bash more that involves the Sox, you seriously need to consult a therapist or something.

I like your made up stereotypical view of Red Sox fans and using that to ostracize me from reasonable, sensible discussion even though I have a reputation on this forum. Glad we all aren't like that or I could just mouth off and say all Marlin fans are apathetic and fair weather while all posters named TSwift are pale, fat, and annoying and flex my e-muscle and continually talk down to those I deem 'beneath' me.

Hey, Passion, you do what you gotta do to make yourself feel vindicated, mmmmkay?

There's no relevance here between my stance on Bonds (guilty until proven innocent isn't fair) and Ortiz (I deserve credit because I'm going to throw my teammates under the bus and suggest it isn't that easy to hit here in this lineup).

You brought the dictionary issue in first, and like you said, I'm glad I could ruffle your feathers. :thumbup

Keep on digging that hole for yourself, I don't care about you, I just know you're doing nothing to dispel my notion that Sox fans are obnoxious homers who continually dish out criticisms, yet feel entitled to more than they deserve.

Alls I'll say is if this were A-Rod, he would be tore to shreds.

SHREDS!

*ding*

"Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." -- Ortiz

Doesn't he have Manny Ramirez batting behind him??? :plain

No, see, it's cool.

He'd Big Papi, he can throw teammates under the bus and it's cool.

As a matter of fact it's responding in "an honest and reasonable way."

I mean, whenever a player on my team gets candid, I definitely want to hear him diminish the contributions of a future hall-of-famer and a $120 million payroll.

No, see, it's cool.

He'd Big Papi, he can throw teammates under the bus and it's cool.

As a matter of fact it's responding in "an honest and reasonable way."

I mean, whenever a player on my team gets candid, I definitely want to hear him diminish the contributions of a future hall-of-famer and a $120 million payroll.

Yeah, I think berating Jeter and A-Rod is bad enough, but when you do it to your own teammates? Not cool.

Vindicated as in freed from any question of guilt, Mr. Webster? Doesn't seem like an incredibly smart choice of vocab in this situation Moneybags. What am I guilty of? Not agreeing with you? Being a Red Sox fan which in turn to you lowers my level of thought process and makes me wrong?

Let's break it down and tell me where Ortiz was in the wrong in this.

1. On Jeter: He said he's doing a great job, having a great season but Ortiz feels that guys that hit more out of the park and drive more people in are more valuable like....

2. On Dye: having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Which he reitterated with his teammate....

3. On Konerko: he too (having an unbelievable season, an incredible year). He also tossed up another candidate....

4. On Morneau: he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is. [Y]ou've got to talk about Morneau because he's the guy who's done what people haven't done in years there. He also gave respect to a slugger in the NL....

5. On Howard: I don't care what anyone says, he's going to finish with 60 home runs. Dude, he's going to have 150 RBIs. How can you take away the MVP from a guy like that?

The horror! What a self-conceited obnoxious player!

Only someone like yourself could misconstrue something like him saying the Sox lineup isn't as good as the Yankees lineup to him throwing his team under the bus. If he had said it was people would be all over him for that. I'm willing to bet no one on this team was 'hurt' or felt 'thrown under the bus' by that or would Lowell compare himself to A-Rod, Youkilis to Giambi, Coco to Damon, etc.

I'd be lying if I said I'm suprised that the poster to come to Swift's aid was the one who recieved free great seats at a Marlins game that resulted in a no-hitter and has also only posted in the MLB forum a few times before, which were only to back Swift.

I'd be lying if I said I'm surprised that a Red Sox fan is fighting tooth and nail to preserve the dignity of his once jovial icon.

You keep mudslinging and suggesting inane conspiracy theories, if it makes you feel better, I'm all for it.

Amazing how much the truth hurts. Remember, I didn't come out swinging. :thumbup

I just find it ironic that Ortiz considers the term "most valuable" to only apply to stats people like him put up.

And I find it asinine for him to suggest that he's the only thing in Boston's lineup.

Vindicated as in freed from any question of guilt, Mr. Webster? Doesn't seem like an incredibly smart choice of vocab in this situation Moneybags. What am I guilty of? Not agreeing with you? Being a Red Sox fan which in turn to you lowers my level of thought process and makes me wrong?

1. On Jeter: He said he's doing a great job, having a great season but Ortiz feels that guys that hit more out of the park and drive more people in are more valuable like....

2. On Dye: having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Which he reitterated with his teammate....

3. On Konerko: he too (having an unbelievable season, an incredible year). He also tossed up another candidate....

4. On Morneau: he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is. [Y]ou've got to talk about Morneau because he's the guy who's done what people haven't done in years there. He also gave respect to a slugger in the NL....

5. On Howard: I don't care what anyone says, he's going to finish with 60 home runs. Dude, he's going to have 150 RBIs. How can you take away the MVP from a guy like that?

Only someone like yourself could misconstrue something like him saying the Sox lineup isn't as good as the Yankees lineup to him throwing his team under the bus. If he had said it was people would be all over him for that. I'm willing to bet no one on this team was 'hurt' or felt 'thrown under the bus' by that or would Lowell compare himself to A-Rod, Youkilis to Giambi, Coco to Damon, etc.

I'd be lying if I said I'm suprised that the poster to come to Swift's aid was the one who recieved free great seats at a Marlins game that resulted in a no-hitter and has also only posted in the MLB forum a few times before, which were only to back Swift.

Don't appreciate you taking shots at me. Grow up.

Fighting tooth and nail? I'm responding on a message board I don't consider this to be intense or hard 'fought'. Only you could be so biased to say Ortiz has no 'dignity' because of this. :lol

Inane conspiracy theories? Where?

How much the truth hurts? What 'truth' are you getting at?

I'm glad you've become Edgar Bergen and made Ortiz your Charlie McCarthy in all of this by continually putting words in his mouth.

How is that a 'shot'? Grow some thicker skin, Lucky.

Listen, it's the accusation that's annoying. I actually knew about this article before Swift posted it. But I'm not going to argue with you.

I'll even let you have the last word, since apparently that gets you going too.

1) Ortiz threw his teammates under the bus. "Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." Yeah, Manny's just god awful protection, putrid. Coco Crisp (the man most in Boston, including you my man, were jizzing over when he was acquired), Jason Varitek, Mark Loretta, Willy Mo Pena, Alex Gonzalez (who's discovered to hit above .250 again), Mike Lowell (who's decided to start "eating black beans and rice" again), Kevin Youkilis. Yeah, putrid, just makes me sick even considering them ballplayers. :rolleyes: I guess, by the $120 million standards only having 6 other players with double digit power numbers and 5 with OPS's over .800 is just putrid. You know what, it makes me sick too. As a matter of fact, I just threw up in my mouth. Ortiz is right, no lineup that features 6 players with plus-.800 OPS has any business being mentioned as one of the best in baseball. None what so ever, I'm so glad David is fighting the good fight and putting up numbers being protected buy a guy with a higher OPS than him. God bless you David :crying

2) As if trashing your teammates wasn't enough, you then have to weaken the case for a player in your own division who is having (in many's eyes) a superior all around season, and guess what, is doing the most important thing, winning. Here's a fun fact, guess how many people in the Yankees lineup have OPS over 1.000? 0. Here, let me turn it upside down for you: 0. Guess how many in Boston's? 2. Again, I'm so glad David took time to point out what he's doing isn't easy. God bless him.

3) Then, my favorite, lets take a former award winner and throw his season under the bus too. Let's call that award "BS." Let's suggest it was a mistake, and let's also remind people that you're having a superior season than that "BS" season. Again, God bless David Ortiz for pointing out everyone's short comings. If it weren't for him, Lord, I don't know where I'd be.

:thumbup

He must be speaking out of anger and rightfully so with how Boston has been playing, how he felt he was robbed of the 05 MVP and how A-Rod won it even though he was with a last place club. The thing that bothered me was as much as I hate Jeter, you can't go out and say the guy is not allowed to win it because he doesn't have atleast 40 home runs, thats just pathetic. :thumbdown