What would you guys think of...

Iowa

What would you guys think of shortening the season and having 3 wildcard teams in the playoffs? Teams with the best two records get byes and we add a 5 game LWS, League Wildcard series. Would having a week or more break even be an advantage? Would that work? What about a 3 game LWS?

How awesome would it be to see Texas, Anaheim, Boston and Toronto fighting for the last spot in the AL and all these teams in the NL fighting til the end? I think it'd make it much more interesting and fun down the stretch... but on the other side, it makes the playoffs long and it could end up taking away some of that "mystique".

Thoughts?

With all the factors, could it work?

I will say this, the playoff landscape is going to change if/when a team like the Mets gets bounced in the first round by the wild-card, again.

There's no advantage to having the best record or winning the division, in fact, you could argue there's a disadvantage as that power-house team that's been mailing it in since the start of September has to play a team that's been playing it's ass off wire to wire, and it's not exactly easy to get the intensity back quick.

I think something's going to be done, but it's going to take an MLB darling (big market, powerhouse team) getting eliminated in the first round by one of the black sheep (no-payroll, no fans, no particular marketing draw).

The solution isn't easy as most sides would scream murder.

1) Take away one of the first round homegames for the wild-card team and make the formant 2-1-2 instead of 2-2-1. Owners would have a fit over that as it takes away potential home revenue. (However, I think this is the most likely).

2) Make the top two-finishers in the wild-card play a best of 3 series to "win and you're in." Let's the division winners rest and makes the wild card team not start with their best pitchers in the order they'd like.

3) Go back to a two division system, let the best record have a first round bye while the second best record plays the Wild-Card in the format that exists now, 2-2-1. I don't think this works as it actually eliminates a playoff team and makes the stretch games less relevant for other teams.

I don't think byes are to a team's advantage.

I'd much rather go back to the 2-division set up that allows for a more balanced schedule, but the 3-division plus wild card provides for revenue-generating regional matchups, an extra playoff round and true playoff races. Adding wild cards, whether to a 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 division league, would take some of the thrill of the race.

There's a point to adding teams to the race, however, there's little incentive for that second team. Or the main wild card winner. Essentially ALL you're playing for is an opportunity to make the first round. A matchup of wild cards will be rightfully viewed as a preliminary play-in game, not a true playoff contest worth getting excited about.

What about 2 wildcard teams from each league? The two wildcard teams meet in a 3 game series before the LDS...

I'm really not advocating any of these scenarios, just making conversation on the subject. I know Al Leiter has always been an advocate of something like this.

A bye isn't really worth it.

A one gamer might make sense, but that kills off some of the excitement of the wild card. You missed out on the division so now you're fighting for not one but one of two spots. And the reward? A one-game playoff and homefield advantage (if your stadium doesn't already ahve a scheduled event). That's not an incentive worth playing for.

I'm not a fan. I don't want the playoffs getting watered down like they have in the NBA. Having the playoffs go longer means pitchers have to be handled more carefully and teams won't be as strong or healthy for the World Series. Plus, it breeds mediocrity.

ya thats what i hate abot the nba...half the league makes the playoffs...and the 1st round is usually a joke and they last way too long it kinda takes the novelty away...keep the mlb playoffs the sameway

Keep the same number of teams as it is but I would make the first round best of 7 and would give the team with the better record 5 home games (2-2-3). I would take one of the off days out so a 7 game series would be played over 8 days (unless there are rainouts) to make the schedule more like the regular season. As it is right now you can have a guy start 3 games over 7 games and that would never happen in the regular season.

I'm not a fan. I don't want the playoffs getting watered down like they have in the NBA. Having the playoffs go longer means pitchers have to be handled more carefully and teams won't be as strong or healthy for the World Series. Plus, it breeds mediocrity.

ya thats what i hate abot the nba...half the league makes the playoffs...and the 1st round is usually a joke and they last way too long it kinda takes the novelty away...keep the mlb playoffs the sameway

Same with the NHL. Remember the proposal to save the lost 2004-05 season in which there'd be no regular season? Only the playoffs would be played, with all 30 teams qualifying.

i remember i think it was last year.. that joe morgan.. (whom i normally like) said one of the most assinine things

he basically said the division winners should be given more of an advantage because of the recent trend of really good wild cards teams coming in and spanking the division winners.. ie.. he proposed taking away home games from the wild card teams.. or.. making the series 9games.. with the division winners getting 6 home games..

I think something's going to be done, but it's going to take an MLB darling (big market, powerhouse team) getting eliminated in the first round by one of the black sheep (no-payroll, no fans, no particular marketing draw).

If it wasn't for the fact that it can't happen... it seems as if that statement is calling for the Marlins to sweep the Mets

i remember i think it was last year.. that joe morgan.. (whom i normally like) said one of the most assinine things

he basically said the division winners should be given more of an advantage because of the recent trend of really good wild cards teams coming in and spanking the division winners.. ie.. he proposed taking away home games from the wild card teams.. or.. making the series 9games.. with the division winners getting 6 home games..

I'd support stripping wild cards of their home games.