Josh Willingham

rorod

Before this season many raved about him, but I was skeptical. We were wondering if he would be our catcher, and that didn't work out. So then we put him in left, and he looked bad out there, combined with a hand injury and the following slump....I was begining to think that we should trade him to the AL for some spect. However, his bat has been even better than I thought and his defense in left is improving with every game. Sure he isn't the most graceful left fielder, but I can see him as MAnny Ramirez type, obviously we don't expect outrageous power but certainly 25-30 homers. He has a good arm and is learning to play the teal monstah like manny plays tthe green monstah. This man is real.

Your thoughts?

he started off hot and then ran into some rough times like alot of hitters out there do. but he's bounced back and has played consistently now, thats HUGE to protect Cabrera like that. now if we could only get Jacobs going again.

He has been great this year. The problem, unfortunately, is teams still intentionally walk Cabs to face Josh and Jake. Perfect example is last night. Despite Willingham's double and homer, they still intentionally walked Cabrera to get to him. (one of the biggest plays of the night)

From what I see, Josh could have 2 homers in a game, and in a big situation, they are still going to pitch around Cabrera to face the Hammer. I don't think teams are scared of him quite yet. Hopefully that changes next year.

he started off hot and then ran into some rough times like alot of hitters out there do. but he's bounced back and has played consistently now, thats HUGE to protect Cabrera like that. now if we could only get Jacobs going again.

He has been great this year. The problem, unfortunately, is teams still intentionally walk Cabs to face Josh and Jake. Perfect example is last night. Despite Willingham's double and homer, they still intentionally walked Cabrera to get to him. (one of the biggest plays of the night)

From what I see, Josh could have 2 homers in a game, and in a big situation, they are still going to pitch around Cabrera to face the Hammer. I don't think teams are scared of him quite yet. Hopefully that changes next year.

teams still walk pujols to get to edmonds and rolen too. Or Arod to get to Giambi. etc etc.

Really it will always happen, because no matter how good Josh gets (even if he ends up a 280/25/100 player) Miggy will be 20X more dangerous.

Before this season many raved about him, but I was skeptical. We were wondering if he would be our catcher, and that didn't work out. So then we put him in left, and he looked bad out there, combined with a hand injury and the following slump....I was begining to think that we should trade him to the AL for some spect. However, his bat has been even better than I thought and his defense in left is improving with every game. Sure he isn't the most graceful left fielder, but I can see him as MAnny Ramirez type, obviously we don't expect outrageous power but certainly 25-30 homers. He has a good arm and is learning to play the teal monstah like manny plays tthe green monstah. This man is real.

Your thoughts?

I think he can be a .280 hitter with 25 to 30 homers and a good number of walks... maybe a .900 OPS. I'm so happy to see him do well as I've thought he got screwed by the team the past couple of seasons. In '04 and '05 the team needed an offensive boost and here he was putting up ridiculous numbers in the minors but that wasn't enough to get a shot. Last year when he was called up he had the highest OPS of all players in all of the minors but that wasn't enough. He was called up to rot on the bench.

Willingham now leads all rookies in OPS with .880. Ethier is 2nd with .877 and Uggla 3rd with .851.

With runners on it's Uggla, Willingham and Zimmerman with .980, .930 and .917, respectively.

With RISP it's Zimmerman, Ethier and Uggla with .890, .871 and .862, respectively. Willingham's RISP OPS is .767.

If over the next 16 games Willingham keeps doing what he's done the past 2 months he'll open up a sizable OPS gap over the other position players and I think he would be the most deserving position player for ROY. He needs to stay hot.

but I can see him as MAnny Ramirez type,

:o

thats a hell of a lot to say there. He can produce but only Miggy can live up to Manny ... well I still like the production out of Willingham and I think he would be a perfect fit for 3rd or 5th in the order and not as a cleanup.

well its been working

I believe he's saying he can be as good as Manny is defensively. Mental lapses aside, Manny does play a good right field for Fenway.

He knows the carrums off the wall, he has a strong accurate arm, and he doesn't have to cover a great deal of ground due to the short distance. This is what Willy could be in left field.

Offensively there's really no comprarison.

Hate to keep playing the what if game, but what if he got the AB's last year that Lowell was getting. :confused

Did Lowell get good or bad AB opportunities last year? All I remember is that he was horribly unproductive.

This year, he's definitely getting good pitches batting behind Cabs.

Edited to add: Oh. I think I know what you were referring to. You meant if Willingham was in Lowell's spot in the lineup last year, how much more productive would he have been than Lowell.

Hate to keep playing the what if game, but what if he got the AB's last year that Lowell was getting. :confused

Did Lowell get good or bad AB opportunities last year? All I remember is that he was horribly unproductive.

This year, he's definitely getting good pitches batting behind Cabs.

Edited to add: Oh. I think I know what you were referring to. You meant if Willingham was in Lowell's spot in the lineup last year, how much more productive would he have been than Lowell.

Yeah, I'm saying that if we took the God awful Lowell out of last year's lineup and replaced him with a good Willingham (that, and kept Willingham away from Ismael Valdez :mad ).

Willinghan should have gotten a shot in '04. The Encarnacion the Dodgers forced us to take in that trade had a bad shoulder and he played like guy with a bad shoulder.

Ya but he was also a guy that could have helped in the playoff race. It's kinda absurd to think that the Fish would give a rookie a shot in the outfield when they were in contention.

Willinghan should have gotten a shot in '04. The Encarnacion the Dodgers forced us to take in that trade had a bad shoulder and he played like guy with a bad shoulder.

Ya but he was also a guy that could have helped in the playoff race. It's kinda absurd to think that the Fish would give a rookie a shot in the outfield when they were in contention.

I don't think it's absurd at all. Why do you think rookies cannot contribute in a playoff race?

I edited my original post because although I know the Dodgers were desperate to dump Encarnacion I don't know if we got him because we wanted him or because they forced us to take him.

Hmmm, funny, I remember another rookie getting a shot with the fish in the outfield while in playoff contention. :mischief2

Hmmm, funny, I remember another rookie getting a shot with the fish in the outfield while in playoff contention. :mischief2

Who?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there was no point at that time.

edit: I assume you are talking about Cabrera...However, he was with the team since the beginning of June, so it's not like they plugged him in during the stretch run.

and a lot of people who were on the board back then wanted him sent back down, after he struggled his first couple weeks. :plain

That's one way I hope the marlins change baseball. So what happened to Willingham will happen less in this league, and young players will get more of an opportunity to prove what they can do, so they don't have to wait until they're 27 to get their shot.

Who?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there was no point at that time.

edit: I assume you are talking about Cabrera...However, he was with the team since the beginning of June, so it's not like they plugged him in during the stretch run.

Ummm...Cabrera.