2007 FA relievers/closers.

Hollyberry

I just found this site that had all the FA's for 2007. Something to think about for next year. I am not sure what these guys are asking though.

2007 MLB Free Agent Market: Middle Relievers - I reviewed 2007 free agent closers recently in this post; now it's time to take a look at the other available relievers. The list is sizeable, so I'll just narrow it down to the highlights.

A lot of decent middle relievers get two or even three-year contracts these days. Looking for someone on the right side of 30? You won't find many - just Danys Baez and David Riske fit the bill among this winter's free agent crop.

How about guys who can log some innings? These are the free agents with more than 60 innings thrown:

Ron Villone

Ryan Franklin

Darren Oliver

David Weathers

Aaron Fultz

Jose Mesa

Mike Stanton

Brian Meadows

How about the players who'll get big contracts on the strength of their 2006 ERA? These guys are under 3.50:

Jamie Walker - 1.82

Rheal Cormier - 2.35

Chad Bradford - 2.82

Darren Oliver - 2.90

Roberto Hernandez - 3.04

Steve Kline - 3.30

Trever Miller - 3.32

Jose Mesa - 3.39

Alan Embree - 3.45

This group has allowed less than 1.30 baserunners per innings (WHIP):

Jamie Walker - 1.03

Russ Springer - 1.05

Darren Oliver - 1.07

Chad Bradford - 1.10

Trever Miller - 1.13

Doug Brocail - 1.15

Keith Foulke - 1.27

Alan Embree - 1.28

Danys Baez - 1.29

Toughest to hit this year? Russ Springer. Best control? Keith Foulke. Strikeout king? Trever Miller. Home run prevention? Doug Brocail, Chad Bradford, and Mike Stanton.

One of the best measures of an effective reliever is their command, or K/BB. The following have a K/BB over 3:

Keith Foulke

Chris Hammond

Trever Miller

Jamie Walker

Alan Embree

Chad Bradford

Who's pitched in the highest leverage situations, according to Baseball Prospectus?

1. Mike Timlin

2. Alan Embree

3. Arthur Rhodes

4. Steve Kline

5. Mike Stanton

I'll do individual player breakdowns in another post. But the names that keep reappearing among these stat leaders will be the coveted arms. Jamie Walker, Chad Bradford, Trever Miller, Mike Stanton, Steve Kline, Darren Oliver, and Alan Embree may not be good multiyear bets, but they'll receive some decent offers this winter.

CLOSERS!

Danyz Baez - The Cuban former closer turns 29 in September. He was a hot commodity after converting 41 of 49 save opportunies (83.7%) for the Devil Rays last year with a 2.86 ERA and 1.33 WHIP. He was traded to the Dodgers this year and was just 9 for 16 after Eric Gagne went down. He was dealt again to the Braves and worked ten unspectacular innings until he needed an appendectomy. Baez's career low strikeout rate does not bode well for the future. He's an OK reliever but not at $4MM a year.

Francisco Cordero - Cordero, 31, converted just three of eight save opportunities for Texas before losing his job in late April. A trade to the NL meant a return to the closer role, and he's thrown 12.2 scoreless innings with ten saves for Milwaukee. His $5MM option for 2007 is sure to be exercised.

Octavio Dotel - The 32 year-old flamethrower finally returned to the Majors from Tommy John surgery on August 16th after undergoing the procedure June 8th, 2005. It was an interesting situation - doctors recommended rehab but Dotel elected to have TJ instead. He made some noise about playing for the A's again for the league minimum last October. The Mets, Rangers, Indians, and Cardinals showed interest that winter in his services before he signed with the Yankees for $2MM. There were some setbacks on the road to recovery. Now that he's back, Dotel has been hit hard in a limited sample. He mentioned in June that he wanted to return to the Yankees for 2007 and beyond. The Indians may make an offer this winter anyway.

Keith Foulke - Back, knee, elbow problems...what's left to injure? Foulke is 33 now and may not get another shot at closing with any club. He's making $7.25MM this season, and the Red Sox will probably buy him out for $1.5MM this winter.

Eric Gagne - Back surgery, a whole bunch of Tommy John, and Gagne has lost two consecutive seasons. That two-year, $19MM extension he signed bought the Dodgers about 15 innings. Gagne hopes to remain a Dodger, but Scott Boras could convince him to explore the market. The Dodgers have until December 7th to reach an agreement with Gagne.

Eddie Guarado - It's time to strike the "Everyday" part of his moniker. Guardado will turn 36 in October. He's got forearm problems, elbow tendinitis, and a torn rotator cuff. I don't think anyone's going to sign on for more than a million or two. Like Francisco Cordero, Guardado lost his closing job in the AL and dominated in the NL.

Bob Wickman - Wickman, 37, has been untouchable with the Braves since his acquisition. That should make him a lock for another $5MM contract if he wants to keep playing.

Joe Borowski - No one expected Borowski to have such success with the Cubs from 2002-03, and his resurgence in 2006 has been equally surprising. The 35 year-old everyman has battled his entire career. He was pitching in the Mexican League back in 2000, and now he's one of the better closers on the free agent market. This year for near the league minimum he's posted a 3.21 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 8.4 K/9, and 31 saves.

mlbtraderumors.com

Then its official

Goal for this off season: Get

Jamie Walker and Keith Foulke

That should contribute to 90+ wins next season :cool

Edit: Sure, now you put the list of scouting report for the closer. Buh-bye hope of getting Foulke...

The Armando-TJ-Borowski revival trend would not continue with Foulke.

I was about to say, this was by far the most intellectual/factual/statistically relevant post that Holly has ever made, then I saw it was from another website.

Thanks for posting it. Not sure what we're gonna do.

I say we take a chance on Kerry Wood. Im really hoping his injury history will scare a lot of teams off.

What for? Willis, Sanchez, Olsen, Johnson and Nolasco will be back...along with fresh competition for the end of the rotation from Jose Garcia, Pinto, Petit and Gaby Hernandez.

I say we take a chance on Kerry Wood. Im really hoping his injury history will scare a lot of teams off.

What for? Willis, Sanchez, Olsen, Johnson and Nolasco will be back...along with fresh competition for the end of the rotation from Jose Garcia, Pinto, Petit and Gaby Hernandez.

I think he was talking about using him as a relief pitcher/closer... am I right?

well given the fact that Wood has said that he would come back to baseball as a RELIEF PITCHER I really dont think that the rotation has anything to do with us picking him up.

He will be disgusting out of the bullpen. Simple as that.

I think he was talking about using him as a relief pitcher/closer... am I right?

You are correct my dear lady.

well given the fact that Wood has said that he would come back to baseball as a RELIEF PITCHER I really dont think that the rotation has anything to do with us picking him up.

Ah in that case, sure. HOWEVER, expect the bullpen to at least be slightly better with Martinez and Kensing back.

Ah in that case, sure. HOWEVER, expect the bullpen to at least be slightly better with Martinez and Kensing back.

I wouldn't count on Martinez or Kensing until 2008.

With both of them coming back from Tommy John, they probably won't be ready till the middle of next season at the earliest and i don't we will see Kensing at all next year... and I do like the idea of getting Wood although i think he'll make a lot of money from one of the large market clubs much like Dotel did this year.

....in 2008

....in 2008

buzzkill

....in 2008

buzzkill

not really