Marlins Mailbag: Center Field options.

Hollyberry

Eventually Hermida is going to become a fine #2 hitter. And just because you do or do not steal bases, doesnt make you any less of a leadoff man. Stolen bases help, sure.

Hammer is going to be your starting 1b next year.

You can predict it all you want, but until it materializes it shouldn't affect the lineup. Hermida has to earn the spot he was given and failed in at the beginning of the season. I'm sure you predicted he would have a ROY season and Uggla would besent down and back with the DBacks also. Many of us did, but that's not reality.

As far as Hammer at 1B...that makes less sense than anything. When Jacobs finally has a healthy ankle next year they aren't going to want to throw away their best Lefty bat. If Hammer was going to play 1B they'd be putting him there now.

didnt Youk leadoff for the Red Sox this year?

Yes, when Francona wasn't being an idiot.

I'd much rather have my leadoff man working counts and getting on base then being a speedster who doesn't get on as much but is valued only because he has speed.

Because having a league-leading base stealer leading off hasn't helped the Mets at all.

Eventually Hermida is going to become a fine #2 hitter. And just because you do or do not steal bases, doesnt make you any less of a leadoff man. Stolen bases help, sure.

You can predict it all you want, but until it materializes it shouldn't affect the lineup. Hermida has to earn the spot he was given and failed in at the beginning of the season. I'm sure you predicted he would have a ROY season and Uggla would besent down and back with the DBacks also. Many of us did, but that's not reality.

As far as Hammer at 1B...that makes less sense than anything. When Jacobs finally has a healthy ankle next year they aren't going to want to throw away their best Lefty bat. If Hammer was going to play 1B they'd be putting him there now.

I did think Hermida would be the ROY, and for what its worth, I pegged Uggla for 16 homers

as for Hammer at 1b, we'll see :thumbup

I did think Hermida would be the ROY, and for what its worth, I pegged Uggla for 16 homers

as for Hammer at 1b, we'll see :thumbup

So, the FO is giving up on Jacobs already? If you take away his horrendous slump the first month of the season, I thought he played fairly well. He was raking the ball for awhile.

I'd much rather have my leadoff man working counts and getting on base then being a speedster who doesn't get on as much but is valued only because he has speed.

Because having a league-leading base stealer leading off hasn't helped the Mets at all.

I'm not quite sure you get it.

Reyes also has a .353 OBP and a .846 OPS.

Translation, he gets on base a lot.

mike cameron is a good CF he can save us from getting knocked around and has a pretty decent bat. so if we get him we could forget about our troubles and win the 07 ws

Cameron is not the key and especially at his going rate

He sure would be a nice complementary piece, but that's only if we decided to spend a lot more money than we end up spending.

But, just something to think about, all the big money teams are set in the outfield (Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers) and the Cubs'll either re-up Pierre or let Pie take the job.

mike cameron is a good CF he can save us from getting knocked around and has a pretty decent bat. so if we get him we could forget about our troubles and win the 07 ws

he played in petco park where almost no homers are hit

how about gary matthews jr. hes cheap

He sure would be a nice complementary piece, but that's only if we decided to spend a lot more money than we end up spending.

But, just something to think about, all the big money teams are set in the outfield (Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers) and the Cubs'll either re-up Pierre or let Pie take the job.

Why not try to get Pie? If the Cubs re-sign Pierre they may consider trading him IF we offered a good package including some pitching. I realize that he isn't ready, but neither was Hanley, at least according to most.

Why not try to get Pie? If the Cubs re-sign Pierre they may consider trading him IF we offered a good package including some pitching. I realize that he isn't ready, but neither was Hanley, at least according to most.

pierre is having an off-season so just face it he will be good next year and help us win the playoffs if we get him

At all? Nope. I don't believe that was his point. But even a fraction of those 19 [presumably solo] homers is more valuable at the leadoff spot than all the steals put together.