Marlins Mailbag: Center Field options.

Hollyberry

This is from the Marlins main site:

I was thinking about next season and the need for an outfielder. I was looking at a list of free agents and got very disappointed at the options. Of interest, there were Torii Hunter and Juan Pierre, neither of which seem like viable options, so I had some ideas. Coco Crisp could be great, he had a disappointing season and the Red Sox are probably looking to deal him. For a couple of pitching prospects could we get him?

-- Armando V., Caracas, Venezuela You present some interesting points. Hunter may wind up staying with the Twins. Pierre has finished strongly, increasing his market value with the Cubs. I'm not sure the Red Sox will unload Crisp just yet. After the season, the front office will have some tough decisions to make regarding how to retool the outfield. Center field is the most glaring need. Around the trade deadline, the team did explore what it would take to get Willy Taveras and Red Sox prospect David Murphy. Someone else who could catch the Marlins' attention in the offseason is Ryan Langerhans of the Braves. The team is aware it will likely have to part with pitching to make any significant deal.

This is probably not any new news but I just thought I would post it anyway. Langerhans is a new name on the list but do we want to better the Braves?

It is obvious it will cost us some pitching but a CF is our first and foremost need...The Rangers and rockies would jump at some of our pitching talent, The D-Rays as well but i don't expect them to ever accept a reasonable offer. I know a lot of us like Elijah Dukes with all his bagage. The rangers can offer Ben Harrison not really your upper tier prospect. Rockies have Jordan Czarnieki who has some skills but is not the prospect we are hoping for next season.

I hate the MLB site. So dumb. Look at the free agent list, and realistic options.

Jim Edmonds or Kenny Lofton. Old vets just looking to contribute to a contender with some playing time and will come cheaper then younger options (that includes guys like Shannon Stewart who will want a deal) on probably an incentive deal. Assuming of coarse, they believe the fish are contenders. We do this all the time with pudge, benitez, jobo, etc

Also look at teams with a dearth of outfielders - Dbacks, Dodgers, etc. We can get Jason Repko (who isn't all that bad despite his mlb stats. still really young) super duper throw away single A player cheap with their solid Ethier, Kemp, Drew core and more prospects coming soon. or you can get Byrnes for B level pitching if you don't want to spend A level pitching on Chris Young.

Lot's of better ideas then effing Langerhans. Christ. Jason Michaels? Jeremy Reed? Lot's of interesting names will be avaliable.

...just imagining where we might be if the rumors about getting Andruw Jones off waivers had amounted to something...too bad.

Honestly, I'd sooner expect us to get a CF out of a trade rather than a FA. Except for maybe JP, if he really wants to come back here and all. At the very least he can give us a real CFer, which we don't have, even if he isn't the best out there. And in the lineup you can bat him #2 behind Hanley and have both a decent hitter and a guy who can bunt him over without wasting a power bat. Then you can slot Uggla #4 behind Cabrera to take more advantage of his power numbers. Could be something like:

Hanley

JP

Cabrera

Uggla

Hammer

Jacobs

Hermida

Olivo

Pitcher

Could go either way with Olivo and Hermida...Olivo seems to hit well at #8, but not getting pitched to would put Hermida on base a lot for the pitcher to bunt over as well. Maybe not an all star team, but an improvement. Defensively and offensively I think.

...just imagining where we might be if the rumors about getting Andruw Jones off waivers had amounted to something...too bad.

Honestly, I'd sooner expect us to get a CF out of a trade rather than a FA. Except for maybe JP, if he really wants to come back here and all. At the very least he can give us a real CFer, which we don't have, even if he isn't the best out there. And in the lineup you can bat him #2 behind Hanley and have both a decent hitter and a guy who can bunt him over without wasting a power bat. Then you can slot Uggla #4 behind Cabrera to take more advantage of his power numbers. Could be something like:

Hanley

JP

Cabrera

Uggla

Hammer

Jacobs

Hermida

Olivo

Pitcher

Could go either way with Olivo and Hermida...Olivo seems to hit well at #8, but not getting pitched to would put Hermida on base a lot for the pitcher to bunt over as well. Maybe not an all star team, but an improvement. Defensively and offensively I think.

You have no idea how bad that lineup makes us.

Long term, the 2 hole belongs to Hanley or Hermida.

Uggla's going 5 or 6 long-term.

Pierre's complete lack of slugging means he really cannot bat anywhere other than leadoff.

And it still does not address the issue of protection for Miggy.

Crisp is very highly paid.

Very highly paid?

3.5 in '07 (Age 28)

4.75 in '08 (Age 29)

5.75 in '09 (Age 30)

That's a lot of money for a guy with a .700 OPS and minimal base-stealing ability.

That .700 OPS came in an injry plagued and a year in which he only cost 2.75 million.

For a player who has had 2 established years prior to Boston, its extremely cost effective. His Morp for '07 is 7.95 million, 6.825 in '08, and 6.125 in '09.

Not 'very highly paid'.

Ramp, how do you feel about getting Pierre back? If I remember correctly you were a big supporter of this before the deadline.

Your stance really surprised me.

I believe in clubhouse presence as well, but if the last few weeks of Marlins baseball have taught us anything it's that common sense trumps intangibles.

I wanted him for the stretch run.... now that we have other options out there and a clean slate at 0-0, I dont want him back

Pierre's complete lack of slugging means he really cannot bat anywhere other than leadoff.

Hermida has done nothing to show he belongs anywhere near the top of the order. And if Hanley's #2 please tell me who you envision leading off? And please tell me it's not Hermida and his 4 SBs.

Uggla is leading the team in HRs. Unless you're expecting to sign Torii Hunter (or someone of that caliber) or make a trade for Andruw Jones (or someone of that caliber), niether of which is realistic IMO, who do you expect to protect Cabrera? Realistically, our infield seems pretty well set for next season. Only person I can envision them moving is Jake, and I don't think that's a huge possibility. Willingham is going to play LF and (for better or worse) Hermida will get the nod in RF when he is healthy. So where do you expect to find better protection?

If you buy into the idea of always bunting a guy over when you have no outs (as Girardi does), JP at the very least is useful for that when Hanley's on second. And while he's no gold glover, it'd be an improvement over platooning back up corner OFers and a utility IFer. All depends on the cost. I'd also like to be able to afford a bullpen.

Hermida has done nothing to show he belongs anywhere near the top of the order. And if Hanley's #2 please tell me who you envision leading off? And please tell me it's not Hermida and his 4 SBs.

Uggla is leading the team in HRs. Unless you're expecting to sign Torii Hunter (or someone of that caliber) or make a trade for Andruw Jones (or someone of that caliber), niether of which is realistic IMO, who do you expect to protect Cabrera? Realistically, our infield seems pretty well set for next season. Only person I can envision them moving is Jake, and I don't think that's a huge possibility. Willingham is going to play LF and (for better or worse) Hermida will get the nod in RF when he is healthy. So where do you expect to find better protection?

If you buy into the idea of always bunting a guy over when you have no outs (as Girardi does), JP at the very least is useful for that when Hanley's on second. And while he's no gold glover, it'd be an improvement over platooning back up corner OFers and a utility IFer. All depends on the cost. I'd also like to be able to afford a bullpen.

Eventually Hermida is going to become a fine #2 hitter. And just because you do or do not steal bases, doesnt make you any less of a leadoff man. Stolen bases help, sure.

Hammer is going to be your starting 1b next year.

Going into the season I actually suggested Hammer lead off.

The A's won plenty of games with Jeremy Giambi leading off and he isn't exactly fleet of foot.