September 29, 200620 yr Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla., submitted a letter of resignation from Congress on Friday in the wake of questions about e-mails he wrote a former male page, according to a congressional official. Foley, 52, had been considered a shoo-in for re-election until the e- mails surfaced in recent days. Campaign aides had previously acknowledged that the Republican congressman e-mailed the former Capitol page five times, but had said there was nothing inappropriate about the exchange. The page was 16 at the time of the e-mail correspondence. Foley's election opponent, Democrat Tim Mahoney, has called for an investigation. http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/29/D8KEN33G0.html More... In his exchanges with the boy, Foley asked how old he was, what he wanted for his upcoming birthday, how he was doing after Hurricane Katrina and for a photo. http://www.local6.com/politics/9965371/detail.html Seems like one sick f*** to me.
September 29, 200620 yr there has always been speculation about Foley's sexual orientation this realy isnt a suprise , it will be interesting how this effects the battle for the house because Foley's district is a republican leaning district if no one is allowed to replace foley the democrats will pick up a seat they otherwise would not win .
September 29, 200620 yr He's been a friend of the family for over 20 years. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe it.
September 29, 200620 yr Author More: ....instant messages provided by former male pages who said the congressman, under the AOL Instant Messenger screen name Maf54, made repeated references to sexual organs and acts. http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/0..._resigns_o.html
September 29, 200620 yr You should read the emails. They're awesome. Like, they start off so innocent and then all end with a question about the boys personal life. The dood who sits a couple of desks over was reading them off to me.
September 29, 200620 yr He's been a friend of the family for over 20 years. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe it. I have never met the guy but I did work for a county commissioner for several years , and through the course of my employment you hear rumors from the various political people whom you come in contact with , and I have heard Foley was/is gay from multiple sources.
September 29, 200620 yr He's been a friend of the family for over 20 years. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe it. I have never met the guy but I did work for a county commissioner for several years , and through the course of my employment you hear rumors from the various political people whom you come in contact with , and I have heard Foley was/is gay from multiple sources. No comment.
September 29, 200620 yr Grr... I JUST mailed him a letter of request for my Naval Academy reccomendation...
September 29, 200620 yr In all seriousness, the e-mails aren't that bad. Still, a resignation's a resignation.
September 29, 200620 yr Author Yeah I agree, just akwardly written. The thing that gets me is that multiple page's are now saying they had AIM conversations with him which turned sexual.
September 29, 200620 yr Yeah I agree, just akwardly written. The thing that gets me is that multiple page's are now saying they had AIM conversations with him which turned sexual. Well, I can tell you that this story has been sat on for a while, and that the MAF54 isn't his primary AOL address.
September 29, 200620 yr Author Interesting, thank you for that. Yeah I agree with that as well, ABC obviously were the ones with this info and all the other main outlets are using their reports.
September 29, 200620 yr Foley's District is large geographically, but pretty calm. Big Sugar is the biggest lobby there. A Democrat taking his district would be interesting, but if he were to win it, keeping it in 2 years would be an uphill battle as Foley's demise is so confusing at the moment and the District is very much about keeping what belongs at home there. Big cities: West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, LaBelle, Clewiston, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Arcadia Note: My district is Connie Mack's, so I have yet to hear from my Charlotte neighbors about this.
September 29, 200620 yr I wonder if the Republicans are going to bitch and moan about being able to get a replacment put on the ballot for him like they did with DeLay.
September 29, 200620 yr I wonder if the Republicans are going to bitch and moan about being able to get a replacment put on the ballot for him like they did with DeLay. Well, Foley could run on the ballot, win, accept, resign, and then the Governor could then appoint a replacement.
September 29, 200620 yr I wonder if the Republicans are going to bitch and moan about being able to get a replacment put on the ballot for him like they did with DeLay. Well, Foley could run on the ballot, win, accept, resign, and then the Governor could then appoint a replacement. then he should do that.
September 29, 200620 yr I think the republican party will be able to put a replacement candidate on the ballot , i believe in 04 Clay Shaws initial democratic opponent became physically ill and the democratic party was able to put a replacement on the ballot i will check to confirm
September 29, 200620 yr Uh, no. With the House of Representatives, if a Representative resigns, he can only be replaced by special election. You're thinking of a Senator.
September 29, 200620 yr I think the republican party will be able to put a replacement candidate on the ballot , i believe in 04 Clay Shaws initial democratic opponent became physically ill and the democratic party was able to put a replacement on the ballot i will check to confirm they arent being allowed to do that for DeLay's seat.
September 29, 200620 yr I think the republican party will be able to put a replacement candidate on the ballot , i believe in 04 Clay Shaws initial democratic opponent became physically ill and the democratic party was able to put a replacement on the ballot i will check to confirm they arent being allowed to do that for DeLay's seat. Texas has different election laws than Florida. I think E. Clay Shaw's example form 2004 is close to what will be invoked ehre. Florida's primaries are closed, so there should be little reason the ballot can be changed by the party without issue.
September 29, 200620 yr Safe GOP. FLORIDA CD-22. Florida Democrats won a symbolic court victory this week that they have the right to run a substitute nominee in the place of former Wilton Manors Jim Stork (D), who withdrew on September 15 for health reasons. Based upon the court ruling, party leaders selected veteran campaign consultant and former Congressional aide Robin Rorapaugh as the new Dem nominee to face Congressman Clay Shaw in November. Even if it is too late to reprint absentee ballots or reprogram electronic voting machines in some counties, votes cast for Stork will simply be counted as votes for Rorapaugh. Safe GOP. source: http://www.politics1.com/blog-1004.htm
September 29, 200620 yr I think the republican party will be able to put a replacement candidate on the ballot , i believe in 04 Clay Shaws initial democratic opponent became physically ill and the democratic party was able to put a replacement on the ballot i will check to confirm they arent being allowed to do that for DeLay's seat. Texas has different election laws than Florida. oh i'm sure of it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.