06-07 Manager Merry-Go-Round Thread

MrAndMrsFish

First one on the can:

CHICAGO ? (AP) ? Dusty Baker is out as the Chicago Cubs' manager following a last-place finish and a failure to take

the team to the playoffs in his four years.

The Cubs made the announcement Monday, a day after team president Andy MacPhail resigned and the club finished with a

66-96 record.

Baker was in the last season of his $14 million-to-$15 million deal and had hoped to resurrect the franchise that hadn't been in the World Series since 1945 and hadn't won one since 1908. He compiled a 322-326 record during his time in Chicago.

Known for his toothpicks and wristbands while managing from the dugout, Baker was popular with his players and in his 14th season as manager.

Add to the list: Frank Robinson from the Nats...Felipe Alou from the Giants

Team

Former

Replacement

MARLINS

Joe Girardi

Fredi Gonzalez

CUBS

Dusty Baker

Lou Pinella

NATIONALS

Frank Robinson

Manny Acta

GIANTS

Felipe Alou

Bruce Bochy

RANGERS

Buck Showalter

Ron Washington

ATHLETICS

Ken Macha

Bob Geren

PADRES

Bruce Bochy

Bud Black

Who is next???

CHICAGO ? (AP) ? Dusty Baker is out as the Chicago Cubs' manager following a last-place finish and a failure to take

the team to the playoffs in his four years.

The Cubs made the announcement Monday, a day after team president Andy MacPhail resigned and the club finished with a

66-96 record.

Baker was in the last season of his $14 million-to-$15 million deal and had hoped to resurrect the franchise that hadn't been in the World Series since 1945 and hadn't won one since 1908. He compiled a 322-326 record during his time in Chicago.

Known for his toothpicks and wristbands while managing from the dugout, Baker was popular with his players and in his 14th season as manager.

Man, that fact checker should be fired.

It's not like the Cubs weren't a huge part of one of the most famous post season series in history...

Add Felipe Alou to the list...AP report he has just been let go

SAN FRANCISCO … (AP) … The San Francisco Giants have announced that Felipe Alou will not return as their manager in 2007.

on the assistant coaching front...Red Sox will not renew the contracts of hitting coach Ron Jackson and pitching coach Dave Wallace

wow...if gonzalez doesnt coach the fish then id love to see Alou.

btw would love to have Jackson and Wallace if our guys go with Girardi which is very likely.

Meh on Wallace, because of what I read about the Red Sox limiting the number of curveballs Beckett threw between starts, which I'm assuming is something that would come from the pitching coach. He said that it didn't affect him any but the times I saw him pitch said otherwise; the rare times he did throw a curveball, a lot of them didn't look particularly sharp, which I'd attribute to him not really having practiced it in his between-start sessions.

We all saw how devastating his curve was with the Marlins and he was handcuffed into hardly throwing them this season...and I don't know if I saw him throw a 2-seamer the entire year and that was something that he'd used effectively with the Marlins in '05.

In other words, I don't relish the idea of someone who turned Josh Beckett into a 1-pitch starter with a 5+ ERA working with the Marlins' staff.

wow...if gonzalez doesnt coach the fish then id love to see Alou.

btw would love to have Jackson and Wallace if our guys go with Girardi which is very likely.

Meh on Wallace, because of what I read about the Red Sox limiting the number of curveballs Beckett threw between starts, which I'm assuming is something that would come from the pitching coach. He said that it didn't affect him any but the times I saw him pitch said otherwise; the rare times he did throw a curveball, a lot of them didn't look particularly sharp, which I'd attribute to him not really having practiced it in his between-start sessions.

We all saw how devastating his curve was with the Marlins and he was handcuffed into hardly throwing them this season...and I don't know if I saw him throw a 2-seamer the entire year and that was something that he'd used effectively with the Marlins in '05.

In other words, I don't relish the idea of someone who turned Josh Beckett into a 1-pitch starter with a 5+ ERA working with the Marlins' staff.

Wallace wasn't even the pitching coach for Spring Training or most of the season.

I'd take Wallace over Nipper any day.

I'm not sad to see Alou go as the Giants manager. I was actually hoping he wouldn't have been back for this season. I'm curious to see who they get... Ron Wotus? How bout Girardi?

The only name I've really heard thrown out there is Jim Fregosi. Don't know if I'd like that.

I'm not sad to see Alou go as the Giants manager. I was actually hoping he wouldn't have been back for this season. I'm curious to see who they get... Ron Wotus? How bout Girardi?

The only name I've really heard thrown out there is Jim Fregosi. Don't know if I'd like that.

I want Brenly

Perry Hill wouldn't leave would he?

I think Perry Hill is here to stay as long as he wants too...remember he was the only Management-mandated holdover to the staff and a coach that Girardi had to keep no matter what.

So unless he doesn't want to coach anymore I would expect Hill to be back coaching first base and working with the infielders next season.

As for the other assistant coaches....I can see most of them going with Joe, such as Bobby M., Kranitz among others....I think Fredi (if he is the chosen manager) would reach somewhat into Marlins history and form a coaching staff..

I would be shocked to see people like Cookie Rojas, Andre Dawson and Tony Perez among those mentioned for positions within the coaching staff...just my opinion

I want Brenly

There's something about Brenly I don't like. I don't know what it is... I wouldn't mind Ron Wotus or I even heard Bud Black being thrown in the mix....

Add Buck Showalter to that list.

ESPN News is reporting that Buck Showalter has been fired as the manager of the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers won 80 games this year, which was actually an improvement by one game over 2005, but Showalter's had four years to try to get Texas to the postseason and failed, so this can't be a huge surprise to him. He is signed through 2009, so Texas will eat a good chunk of Showalter's contract.

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sport...410&srvc=sz