Holy Crap (college b-ball)

Buckeye

D-III hoops team scores 201 in win

Posted: Saturday December 2, 2006 6:08PM;

SALEM, W.Va. (AP) -- Lincoln University set an NCAA division record for points in a game, beating Ohio Sate-Marion 201-78 Saturday.

Lincoln coach Garfield Yuille said he sent his team into the game with a talking to about how disappointed he was following a 90-79 loss to Salem International on Friday.

"I said you guys got to come out here and play like you know how to play," he said. "They were really mad that they lost yesterday."

They took out that anger on Ohio State-Marion.

The scoring record broke the Division III mark set in January 2005 by the University of Redlands, which scored 172 points on La Sierra College.

Lincoln (5-1) also a record for margin of victory and set and then broke an NCAA division record for points in a half. Lincoln scored 97 in the first half, then set a new record with 104 in the second half, sports information director Rob Knox said as he consulted a suddenly out-of-date record book. The old record was held by Redlands in the same drubbing of La Sierra.

Lincoln's Sami Wylie set a Division III record with 21 3-pointers. He finished with 69 points -- a school record.

Wylie was 23-of-44 from the field, 21-for-41 from a 3-point distance, and played 24 minutes in the consolation game of the Joe Manchin Memorial Basketball Classic at Salem International.

Wylie said his coach's pre-game talk inspired the performance.

"He like really got on us for the loss and I don't like it when my coaches get on me. So I had to take it out on the team that we were playing," Wylie said.

Yuille said the reality of the performance by Wylie and his team started to set in later in the game. He noticed they'd piled up more than 180 points when he turned to an assistant and started talking about Wylie breaking the record for 3-pointers. "I said this is crazy."

Dwight Dean added 33 points, 13 rebounds and 7 steals for Lincoln. Darryl White had 28 points and 9 rebounds.

Lincoln is the second college basketball team in history to break 200 points.

Yuille, however, said he was heading home to Pennsylvania dissatisfied with the weekend.

"I don't consider it successful. This makes up for the loss," he said. "We just get back to trying to play better defense."

Lincoln did play some defense: game stats show 48 steals to go with 62 OSU-Marion turnovers.

I don't even know how this is possible. There's something to be said for doing something in real life you can't even do in a video game.

yeah grinnell in iowa did that, though i dont think they averaged 160 but closer to 130. i could be wrong though.

however they also give up over 100 because of their style of play and were basically a .500 team at best. they woudl get their asses kicked by some of the better teams d3 in iowa and around the midwest.

fun to watch though

Guest FishFanInPA

yeah grinnell in iowa did that, though i dont think they averaged 160 but closer to 130. i could be wrong though.

however they also give up over 100 because of their style of play and were basically a .500 team at best. they woudl get their asses kicked by some of the better teams d3 in iowa and around the midwest.

fun to watch though

I recall they beat an ivy league team like 2 years ago in D1

fun to watch though

I recall they beat an ivy league team like 2 years ago in D1

i don't think that was them, largely because i doubt they'd travel that far east, but i guess it's possible

i'm pretty sure they've never even made it to the d3 ncaa tournament - they really aren't that good and they primarily get attention because of their style of play but not necessarily because they win doing it. though this doesn't mean they can't be good, grinnell isn't what you'd call an athletic school - it's much more academically oriented

oh, and they averaged 126 points in their big season

Yea.. Grinnell is interesting. They run up and down the court, sub every minute, everybody crashes the board, shoot a billion threes, press every possession and play no defense.. its really crazy to see. Probably shoot 50 threes a game. Looking at their schedule this year, theyre averaging about 115 a game and giving up about about 130.. lol. I remember watching them when they were really good a couple years ago, for D3 standards..and watching that style of basketball was amazing. Really crazy. In fact, I think they might have the record for most combined points in a game with the other team.