Dotel seeking a closer role

Fishfan79

01:04 PM - Buzz: Octavio Dotel, the Closer

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

?the buzz from the pitcher?s market is that free-agent Octavio Dotel is hoping to land on with a new team as a closer, and that at least three or four teams have contacted him to fill such a role?

In 14 appearances for the Yankees last season, Dotel allowed 12 runs in 10 innings, while striking just seven compared to 11 walks.

Prior to having season-ending elbow surgery in 2005, he had posted a 2.45 ERA in six consecutive years as a full-time relief pitcher between Houston and Oakland.

?the only team openly seeking a closer seems to be the Marlins, while the Red Sox could be, as well, should the move Jonathan Papelbon to the starting rotation?

http://www.metsblog.com/

If he is willing to sign a cheap contract for 1 year I think he would be worth a shot at least. Something to consider at least :thumbup

Seems like Mesa would fall right in line with the previous closers for us. He's a vet, will be very cheap, has lots of closing experience and will most likely take a 1 year deal. I never really liked the guy but I could see him doing fine. I mean, who expected Benitez, then Jones then Borowski to have the years they had? They weren't exactly world beaters before coming here anyways. It makes you cringe thinking about it.. but he looks like the same guy as the ones before him.

Plus.. we can have the chance to see Joe Table pitch to Mike Olive-tree.

In 14 appearances for the Yankees last season, Dotel allowed 12 runs in 10 innings, while striking just seven compared to 11 walks.

This doesn't sound like someone I want closing Marlins games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wasnt that coming off TJ surgery?

Yes.

Apparently he's got offers from no less than 12 teams.

Yes.

if its as a setup man, he would dominate if fully healthy.

if its as a closer, that team is stupid.

Yes.

Isn't that what they said about Benitez before he came here?

Phils GM Pat Gillick confirmed the Phillies could make an offer to free-agent righthanded reliever Octavio Dotel. "We have some interest," the general manager confirmed. Dotel, 33, pitched only 14 games for the Yankees last season because of arm problems, but has a 3.75 career earned run average.

stupid phillies

off of foxsports btw

Seems like Mesa would fall right in line with the previous closers for us. He's a vet, will be very cheap, has lots of closing experience and will most likely take a 1 year deal. I never really liked the guy but I could see him doing fine. I mean, who expected Benitez, then Jones then Borowski to have the years they had? They weren't exactly world beaters before coming here anyways. It makes you cringe thinking about it.. but he looks like the same guy as the ones before him.

Mesa will be 41 in May-despite our history, this might be one closer I pass on if he is to be our main closer. I can see him as a set up and spot closer, but not the guy you want to come out of the pen two or three nights in a row.

Yes.

Isn't that what they said about Benitez before he came here?

no.

benitez had success as a closer before coming here.

dotel never had and in every closing role he has ever had, has been an utter failure.

Well, it's Mike Olive, but no big deal regardless.

I don't like Mesa coming here. The guy just can't pitch in this stadium. And for Dotel, I echo the sentiments that he would be a good arm but not as a closer. I don't believe everyone can close and there have been a few people (with Dotel being the most shining example) that have shown this over the last couple of years. Guy just doesn't have the head for it.