Jacoby Ellsbury

Hollyberry

Jacoby Ellsbury sounds pretty good.

(This was posted in the Sun-Sent thread too)

Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005. He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

Ellsbury has few holes in his game and is capable of beating teams in a lot of ways. He has excellent makeup and instincts. His best tool is his speed, and it?s evident both on the bases and in center field, where he catches everything hit his way :thumbup . He has been clocked in 6.55 seconds over 60 yards. He has become more patient, rarely swings and misses and is comfortable hitting with two strikes. His style of play and physical appearance have drawn comparisons to Johnny Damon at a similar age, but scouts say Ellsbury has a better swing. They question whether he?ll grow into the same power, though

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=3387

OF Jacoby Ellsbury - The Red Sox top pick in the 2005 draft, Ellsbury was selected 23rd overall and made his pro debut with Lowell in the New York-Penn League. Ellsbury finished the year with a .317 batting average, 19 RBI and 23 stolen bases. Ellsbury also showed good plate discipline as well drawing 24 walks and striking out just 20 times. Ellsbury played at Oregon State University for three seasons and compiled a .368 batting average with 99 RBI, 16 homers and 56 stolen bases. Ellsbury holds the OSU record for career runs scored with 162 and also set the single season hit record with 86 in 2005.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3288083

(All from sonsofsamhorn.com)

Jacoby sounds like what we need - CF'er with speed and OBP. Anyone have an idea what it would take to get him?

When there are so many young CFers from which to pick I would think the Marlins would look for someone with a few more years professional experience but that said he's extremely young and appears extremely talented.

Whether he can play at this level I guess I'll have to leave up to others who know better. It's risky to be sure but the upside may make it worth the gamble.

Should have drafted him when we had the chance

QFT

He was the one guy I really wanted that year and we had at least 2 opportunities maybe 3, I can't remember, to draft him and chose not too.

We had 2 opportunities. We had the 16th and 22nd pick of the 2005 draft. He went #23 to the Red Sox. We then picked #29 as well and two other picks in the supplemental round.

Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005. He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

Ellsbury has few holes in his game and is capable of beating teams in a lot of ways. He has excellent makeup and instincts. His best tool is his speed, and it?s evident both on the bases and in center field, where he catches everything hit his way :thumbup . He has been clocked in 6.55 seconds over 60 yards. He has become more patient, rarely swings and misses and is comfortable hitting with two strikes. His style of play and physical appearance have drawn comparisons to Johnny Damon at a similar age, but scouts say Ellsbury has a better swing. They question whether he?ll grow into the same power, though

OF Jacoby Ellsbury - The Red Sox top pick in the 2005 draft, Ellsbury was selected 23rd overall and made his pro debut with Lowell in the New York-Penn League. Ellsbury finished the year with a .317 batting average, 19 RBI and 23 stolen bases. Ellsbury also showed good plate discipline as well drawing 24 walks and striking out just 20 times. Ellsbury played at Oregon State University for three seasons and compiled a .368 batting average with 99 RBI, 16 homers and 56 stolen bases. Ellsbury holds the OSU record for career runs scored with 162 and also set the single season hit record with 86 in 2005.

Jacoby sounds like what we need - CF'er with speed and OBP. Anyone have an idea what it would take to get him?

I don't see Ellsbury as a lead-off batter in any way or form, just look as his K-BB ratio, he has excellent power We are talking a potential 3 spot hitter. This dude is just freakin awesome!

I don't see Ellsbury as a lead-off batter in any way or form, just look as his K-BB ratio, he has excellent power We are talking a potential 3 spot hitter. This dude is just freakin awesome!

Excellent power? no that's not Ellsbury, you must be thinking of someone else. He will be a great lead-off man though.

Excellent power? no that's not Ellsbury, you must be thinking of someone else. He will be a great lead-off man though.

I stand corrected thank you...I was somehow thinking of Hunter Pence...crazy huh?

I stand corrected thank you...I was somehow thinking of Hunter Pence...crazy huh?

Pence actually might be able to be pried away after his AFL debacle and often problems and the Astros have a nice OF for a long time already. But the price would be very very high.

I would love to see him as our starting CF though.

I still think we should try to pry Kemp out of the hands of the dodgers.

They just signed another OF in Gonzalez now as well.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Pence actually might be able to be pried away after his AFL debacle and often problems and the Astros have a nice OF for a long time already. But the price would be very very high.

I would love to see him as our starting CF though.

I still think we should try to pry Kemp out of the hands of the dodgers.

They just signed another OF in Gonzalez now as well.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Yeah, I would really like to see Kemp play Center for us. That guys stats are really good. What would it take to get him? The Marlins have stressed that they do not want to give up pitching.

Yeah, I would really like to see Kemp play Center for us. That guys stats are really good. What would it take to get him? The Marlins have stressed that they do not want to give up pitching.

They will give up pitching. Just preferrably not their current starting pitching. Maybe a combination of Pinto, Petit, Garcia, or Mitre would net us a CF. The Marlins have also shown interest, although not actively shopping, in moving Andino as part of a deal, since he's blocked by Hanley at SS.