Jason Schmidt Signs With Dodgers; 3 years / 47 million

Libelula

I hate to see him in Dodger blue, but I"ll say this.. The last couple of years he has not been the same... It's the reason I haven't been writing to Sabean to keep him. To be quite honest, I didn't really expect him back, cause I didn't think the Giants wanted him back.. Who knows.. maybe a change of scenery will do him some good... Sucks I can't root for him anymore...

I hate to see him in Dodger blue, but I"ll say this.. The last couple of years he has not been the same... It's the reason I haven't been writing to Sabean to keep him. To be quite honest, I didn't really expect him back, cause I didn't think the Giants wanted him back.. Who knows.. maybe a change of scenery will do him some good... Sucks I can't root for him anymore...

I understand as a Giants fan you need to rationalize this move to help ease the pain but Jason Schmidt is as nasty as ever. He's a bona fide #1 and will make a huge impact on the Dodgers run at the playoffs in 2007.

Right now somewhere Vin Scully is taking a nap. And he's having a wet dream.

Good riddance...

15+ million a year for a washed up injury prone pitcher? At this point he's no longer an ace...from time to time he'll show flashes of his 2003/ first four months of 2004 form, but overall he's definitely not worth 15 million a year

Exactly... I would have had no problem paying this price for the Jason Schmidt from 2 or 3 years ago, but not what he's been lately.

Good riddance...

15+ million a year for a washed up injury prone pitcher? At this point he's no longer an ace...from time to time he'll show flashes of his 2003/ first four months of 2004 form, but overall he's definitely not worth 15 million a year

The irony of a Giants fan saying that is crazy.

Good riddance...

We've watched him the last couple of years and I'm telling you guys. He was not the same. Prior to 2004, when it was his day to pitch, I knew the Giants were gonna win. The last couple of years, I didn't have that feeling. It was a 50/50 chance, depending on how he was going that day.

I must have been watching a different Jason Schmidt this year then.

Guy was filthy in every start I saw.

You guys sound very happy to have lost Schmidt. Interesting angle dont ya think?

lol.. I wouldn't say I'm happy that we lost him. When we offered him arbitration, I had some hope that he would return. After all, the guy has been our ace for years. I obviously wasn't happy to see him go.. However, you guys haven't seen me mention him at all this offseason, cause I wasn't too sad to see him go either. I don't know how many starts you saw, but I saw too many where his pitch count was way up in the 5th inning... or he was constantly working out of jams.... he just didn't have it on too many occassions this past season... much like the previous season.

Good riddance...

We've watched him the last couple of years and I'm telling you guys. He was not the same. Prior to 2004, when it was his day to pitch, I knew the Giants were gonna win. The last couple of years, I didn't have that feeling. It was a 50/50 chance, depending on how he was going that day.

That's not the point I was making (he still won 11 games and had a respectable ERA last year).

The point I was making was:

As the Giants...you're old, real old, you're not getting younger, you don't have a ton of youth on the horizon that's "difference making" outside of Matt Cain. You've got a collection of "go for it now" players and you're prepared to let, arguably, three of your four best players from last season (Alou, Bonds, Schmidt) walk? What's the point of having a payroll as high as the Giants do if you're going to concede yourself to a 72-92 season...which may be the case even with Bonds back?

If this were a 4 or 5 year deal, I completely understand, but this contract will be only 3 years...you guys need him to win in '07, since that's all the Giants are built for, and even then I use "win" very loosely.

AP reports that the Dodgers are working on a deal for Schmidt but nothing has been finalized as of yet

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. ? (AP) ? The Los Angeles Dodgers were trying to sign free agent starter Jason Schmidt on

Wednesday, a deal that would give the club an ace right-hander in their rotation.

Schmidt's agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, were still meeting with several teams on the 33-year-old right-hander.

"We do not have a deal,'' Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said.

The St. Louis Cardinals were also courting Schmidt, who went 11-9 with a 3.59 ERA in 32 starts during 2006 for the

Giants.

The three-time All-Star is one of the most prized free agent pitchers on the market this offseason.

Schmidt told The Associated Press in a telephone conversation that he did not want to comment on any deals

until he officially has a new team.

He spent the last 5? seasons with the Giants and also has pitched for the Atlanta Braves and Pittsburgh Pirates.

Schmidt was determined to explore his options this winter, knowing he could be signing the final contract of his career.

He pitched 213 1-3 innings last season, the third time in four years he went over the 200-inning mark.

On June 6, Schmidt struck out a career-high 16 in a 2-1 win over the Florida Marlins. He matched the 102-year-old

franchise record for strikeouts set by Hall of Famer Christy Mathewson on Oct. 3, 1904, against the Cardinals.

The NL pitcher of the month for May after going 4-0 with a 1.17 ERA, Schmidt also broke the San Francisco record of 15

strikeouts accomplished by Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry in 1966.

Schmidt signed a four-year contract before the 2002 season that included a $10 million club option for last season. The

Giants exercised that, knowing they would likely lose him in free agency after 2006.

That's just it.. You just said it.. He's been our ace and has won 12 and 11 games the last couple of seasons. And all his losses weren't due to lack of run support either. I don't want to make it seem like I'm bashing the guy. He's been one of the best pitchers we've had in decades... But if there was a time that I felt comfortable letting him go, now is the time. The past two seasons have not been ace material...

And I wouldn't say the Giants don't have any young players that can become impact players. Besides Matt Cain, we have Pat Misch, Merkin Valdez, Jonathan Sanchez, etc... And in the rotation right now, Noah Lowry is still young... As for position players, Todd Linden and Kevin Frandsen are ready for the big leagues...

As for letting Alou walk, I was glad to see him go... He was a liability defensively, he was streaky, and very injury prone. We're obviously not doing any better with Dave Roberts in CF, but at least they've added a new aspect to the game.. speed....

Again, I'm not predicting a winning season. I'm thinking they'll be hovering around .500.. The rotation of Cain, Morris, Lowry, Hennessey, and Sanchez (as projected right now) should be fine. If we can get Barry Zito, which the Giants have been linked to, it'll be a very interesting season.... and apparently, the Giants are still looking for a power hitting first baseman. I think that sucks for Aurilia, but if they can swing a Richie Sexson or someone like that, I'd be all for it...

And the last thing I have to vent about once again... Why in the world is Pedro Feliz back ?!?!?!?!?

Haha.. Yeah, I think there were a number of pitchers that established new single season career highs in strikeouts this season against the Marlins.... Schmidt pitched great that day. I don't want to take anything away from him, but not only was it the Marlins, but it was the early first half Marlins...

I must have been watching a different Jason Schmidt this year then.

Guy was filthy in every start I saw.

You guys sound very happy to have lost Schmidt. Interesting angle dont ya think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...g&year=2006

Check the Monthly splits. Color me unimpressed

I just checked them.

yeah, horrible move by the Dodgers.

:rolleyes: